Brewer Fanatic

Colome up, Swindle DFA'd/Claimed by Rays -- Latest: Indians Claim Swindle from Tampa

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, the mention of a bbq lefty, haven't heard that in a while. I totally agree in regards to Swindle, though.

I was kind of disappointed they mentioned Smith as a candidate to be sent down. While not spectacular or even a guy you may want in a close game, Smith has been fairly effective as the garbage time guy in the bullpen. Swindle hasn't even proven he can throw a clean inning yet (small sample, I know, I know). If they wanted a lefty for garbage time they could have kept Narveson up.

Hopefully Colome can come up and give the bullpen a boost in the long-to-middle relief category.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If his fastball was that straight, wouldn't he have gotten hit in the minors? I've always thought that that's the way it is with the young guys, able to hit the fastball but have to work on hitting other things. Which is why when pitchers face them, in rehab and spring training, their ERA's are inflated, because they are throwing fastballs trying to work on getting ready to pitch and don't care about the results.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

I'd rather see Swindle go, but I could see how this could come down to roster decisions. Swindle gets optioned, then they still need to make another move to free up a 40 man spot. Smith is out of options, so he gets DFA'd and takes care of the 25 and 40 man spots.

Why would the 40 man spot have to come from someone currently on 25 man? Why not Koshansky, Green, or someone who doesn't appear to have a future with Mil in the minors?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't like it.. Swindle struggled in pro ball, but seems to have a big up side. The fact that he kept being pitched in super uber low leverage situations where he was just supposed to eat up innings meant to me the organization didn't look at him as feasible. Reminds me of the raw deal Balfour got when he was us.

Swindle was Yosted. I for one am prepared to watch Swindle become awesome for the RAys and look at another Bullpen mistake by our FO.

I for one am prepared to watch Swindle become awesome for the Rays...
No kidding. The Rays are on the verge of having to call themselves the Brewers Expatriates, or maybe Refugees. Seriously, just a glance through their 40 man roster and I saw 7 ex-Brewers there. Add Swindle and that's 20% of the Rays' 40 man roster.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don't like it.. Swindle struggled in pro ball, but seems to have a big up side. The fact that he kept being pitched in super uber low leverage situations where he was just supposed to eat up innings meant to me the organization didn't look at him as feasible. Reminds me of the raw deal Balfour got when he was us.

Swindle was Yosted. I for one am prepared to watch Swindle become awesome for the RAys and look at another Bullpen mistake by our FO.

Struggled in pro ball so he has big upside? Swindle got rocked everytime he pitched and I just don't see any upside at all. It isn't like he was some power arm with control issues, he is/was a soft tossing lefty whose best pitch really wasn't good enough to get major league hitters out and they knocked him around the ballpark.

This was a guy whom some had high hopes on based on stats generated in semi pro Northwoods leagues and a very tiny sample of anything above A ball levels. I was pretty skeptical but willing to give him a shot but based on his performance I have no problem letting him go, LOOGY's aren't that hard to find, especially bad ones.

None of the ex Brewers on the Rays roster would have a significant role on the Brewers, except Balfour who was traded (in a pretty even deal) for McClung.

Looking at our bench, and especially who's starting in RF now, I'd say Gross and Kapler would be welcome additions at this point. I'd also take Balfour over McClung and Shouse over Smith. They can keep Bennett, Choate, Dillon, and Swindle though.

I was rather frustrated with the Brewers decision to DFA Swindle. I thought he was a good pitcher that has never been given a chance to stick in the majors. He only got 6.2 innings to prove himself to the Brewers. I find it interesting that guys with proven minor league stats are often released before guys that have the potential to be good. I look at a player like Daniel Cabrera who is not a good pitcher, but still gets chance after chance to prove himself. Anyway, what do you guys think? I unlocked the comments section on my blog so you can no respond without being a member of blogspot.

Link

What would be amusing now is if the Brewers tried to bring Swindle back on a minor league deal. Being DFA'ed twice in the span of two days can't exactly be the most pleasant experience.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived