Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn- Latest: Beat Reporters for both teams think they're talking

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess based on Hardy's year and Kendall's numbers this year, combined with the way my eye watches them at the plate, makes me think that these guys will outperform the statistics at those positions next year.

You can disagree with me. I personally don't want anyone from the current roster (save maybe McGhee if Gamel switched positions) starting at SS, C, or 3B next season. And I happen to think the "kids" will do a bit better than you I guess.

I think Mark A's goal, and maybe Doug's too, is to always be about ten games over .500. That way, it's never quite good enough to be relevant in the post-season, but it keeps the stands packed and provides a consistent "winning" atmosphere. But we'll never get over any sort of hump if we create the market at the deadline with our young talent each and every year.

In baseball's proprietary and sometimes-archaic arithmetic, isn't ten games over 91-71? As in, 10+81?

If so, ten over isn't ir-"relevant" in my definition.

Attanasio/Melvin conspiracy theories aside, this team has a huge SP problem- but remains only 4 games out. From his track record in Milwaukee, I don't think that Melvin (or Attanasion, if you're into the "meddling owner" speculation) has ever given up a top-100 prospect for a non-impact player (ie CC, not a Washburn). Despite our desparate need and considering hw terrible the team has been recently, I don't think they'll give up the farm for a non-ace.

Based on what? Gamel struggled like most rookies do and he was light years ahead of either Salome or Escobar with the bat. Escobar's mles are0.267 0.305 0.351 and Salome's are 0.244 0.280 0.348.
If past performance was entirely predictive of future performance, then anybody could be a GM. Anybody can analyze stats, but obviously there is more to baseball than that. Baseball is a very dynamic and complex sport. For example, some "stat people" believe it's a foregone conclusion that Hardy is going to finish strong. Some people that look at other things might tell you otherwise.

Sure stats aren't predictive; but any "good eye" theory of quality is deeply flawed without presentation of critical analyses. Claiming perceptive observation without providing evidence shouldn't be expected to be a convincing argument.

But back to Weeks; I don't like the idea of movng him, as I like his OBP skills and ability to take an extra base on a single or double. But, if they believe in McGehee and plan to offer arbitration to Lopez and plan to hold Hardy, middle infield is a current source of 40-man depth. Considering it's Rosenthal, I'm happy to believe it's idle, misinformed speculation to bump up pageviews.

Well, so the Brewers didn't end up losing any games on the division tonight, Washburn's done for the evening up in Seattle (pretty good night, 7 IP, 5 hits, 1 run which was earned, 3 BB, 1 K, left in line for the win) where the Brewers had a scout, DM has confirmed to McCalvy that him and Jack Z are talking, Villard gets rocked as did on the previous two days Looper and Suppan (who is now looking very questionable for his next start at the least).

I have to wonder if this is going to happen maybe as early as tonight.

Gosh I hope we don't deal for Washburn. I'll give JZ a couple prospects for Morrow that aren't our top ones. But there's no reason to get a rental with this team, or to outbid more legit playoff teams.
I don't know, I hear you about not getting in a bidding war, and agree 100% on that, but if a deal can be swung that also brings Morrow (or pitching beyond '09) and doesn't cost the Crew too dearly (again, that's all relative and I'm still not sure what my definition is), I don't have a massive issue addressing this team's biggest problem while still within striking distance.

3rd, apparently. Sure sounds like something's up.

According to MLBtraderumors, he was rumored to be part of a threeway trade with Cleveland and Tampa Bay involving Morrow, Lee, Victor Martinez and Kazmir--makes me think Washburn to the Crew could be dead. Can't imagine what we'd do with Clement unless Salome is going somewhere else.

Some genius in the comments of mlbtraderumors posted:

"Mariners Get:

3B Matt Gamel

C Angel Salome

SP Manny Parra

Brewers Get:

C Jeff Clement

SP Jarrod Washburn"

and I couldn't decide whether to gag or laugh.

Yeah these kinds of proposed deals make me want to pound my face against the keyboard. I seriously dont get what people think sometimes.

Yeah, and I read that the Brewers were trading Bill Hall to the Yankees for A-Rod, and the Yankees were sending cash. If Melvin did the Washburn/clement deal, and gave up Gamel, Parra...he'd be run out of town.

Oh, yeah, the Gamel thing was clearly a Seattle fan with a wishlist or some yokel playing GM

More frustrating to me is people reporting false rumors like they heard on the Seattle postgame that Lowrie/Kalish/PTBNL got dealt for Washburn/Clement/Lowe

Let's just keep in mind that Washburn is a rental who has a significant salary so he is not an expensive trade piece at all and that Clement is a 'catcher' who can hit but hasn't hit at the major league level and who is terrible defensively and likely won't stick at C which means mediocre future 1B. This is a very cheap package as is suggested by the Jed Lowrie rumor. This is not a pair of players that should suggest multiple good prospects at all.

For example, some "stat people" believe it's a foregone conclusion that Hardy is going to finish strong. Some people that look at other things might tell you otherwise.

J.J. sure looked like the J.J. we know tonight. Maybe these "stat people" utilize data in a relatively reliable way.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

At this point I can't imagine trading anybody worthwhile for Washburn. Even an injured Ricky Weeks. I'd like to know what the brewers record is with and without Weeks in the lineup. I'm pretty sure it's quite a bit better with him in it during his career.

If they sell, I understand. If they wait till the off-season to acquire some SP, I understand. I will not, however, understand overpaying for mediocre SP rentals to appease the fan base.

I think the baseball IQ is pretty good in this market, and the fans would go along with the Brewers trying to improve their chances for next year. For example, I and many others, would enjoy seeing the Escobars, Gamels, Salome's get their feet wet before going into next year. That would mean of coarse making room for them by the trade deadline.

http://rotoworld.com/cont...amp;hl=271013&id=662

Looks like Jeff Clement might be heading out with Jarod Washburn. Speculation Morrow could be gone too.

Washburn, Morrow and Clement is exactly the kind of deal I would want to see the Brewers do. Try and trade JJ Hardy for Washburn, Morrow and Clement. I am sure the Brewers would have to throw in something extra I just don't know how much. Morrow and Clement were fabulous prospects but their stock has fallen. Maybe Hardy and Salome. Clement and LuCroy would give the Brewers some nice young catchers and Salome could potentially DH in Seattle.

Or Alcides Escobar and someone like Evan Anuundsen for that package. I would be less enticed in trade Escobar for a non star, but netting Washburn and 2 high tier prorspects might be enough to entice me.

Archived