Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn- Latest: Beat Reporters for both teams think they're talking

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get the idea that Hardy will get more in the off-season...shouldn't he be more valuable now, being able to help a team this year and next, instead of being basically a one year rental?

Theoretically, there will be more possible trading partners in the off-season. Now, there are very few sellers out there, so you limiting your pool of options. Plus, if JJ can rebound at all in the second half, it won't be such a sell low trade, but more of sell his career average, which is pretty good. I could see trading JJ now for the right piece, but not for a 2-month above average pitching rental.

Phillipe Aumont?

He was recently moved to the 'pen, due to his inability to succeed as a starter, FWIW. To me, he wouldn't qualify as a "top" pitching prospect. Plus, IIRC, we (Jack Z./DM) already passed on him once in the 2007 draft for LaPorta after being heavily linked to him in pre-draft rumors. Jack Z. had a long look at him in person - and if he's sticking him in the bullpen, I'm passing.

Washburn just doesn't make sense for the Brewers. Any trade they make, has to be made with an eye on a guy who will be part of the rotation in 2010 as well.

I agree...at this point they can't really look for a fix for this season only. I'm of the mind that Melvin's best chance to get someone who can help next year is probably right now...look at young guys under control for a few years who might not be on the radar for the big contenders right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Washburn just doesn't make sense for the Brewers. Any trade they make, has to be made with an eye on a guy who will be part of the rotation in 2010 as well.

I agree...at this point they can't really look for a fix for this season only. I'm of the mind that Melvin's best chance to get someone who can help next year is probably right now...look at young guys under control for a few years who might not be on the radar for the big contenders right now.

I agree completely--that's why even though the team's playing worse, I'd rather see them go after Cliff Lee or Halladay at this point.

Funny though, after Saturday night I started to believe that maybe Washburn would be a big help this year--I don't know why 23 runs in two games made me think we don't need a pitcher now. It was just a game lost in the standings.

Not much we don't know but from MLBTraderumors just now:

6:06pm: Jon Paul Morosi and Ken Rosenthal are now reporting that Washburn is "officially available" and have informed the Yankees, who plan to make an offer soon. The Brewers also could be interested in Washburn.

I blame Mark A for this entire situation. He is just so desperate to be relevant that he has become irrational. Trading Weeks or Escobar for Washburn would be flat out stupid. Im almost at the point where I want the team to keep losing so Melvin cant do anything stupid.

Geez, these bloggers and writers are in a different universe if they think Washburn/Morrow is fair value for Alcides Escobar. Maybe I'm just drinking Doug Melvin's kool-aid here, but Escobar is a top 10-20 prospect in the entire league, isn't he? That's a ridiculous asking price to me for a guy who will make a few starts in 2009 and a 25 year old who isn't a sure-fire success at the ML level (as a starter, he did pretty well as a reliever).

If they're willing to part with Escobar they'll be trying to get a much bigger fish than Jarrod Washburn. I have to believe that.

I blame Mark A for this entire situation. He is just so desperate to be relevant that he has become irrational. Trading Weeks or Escobar for Washburn would be flat out stupid. Im almost at the point where I want the team to keep losing so Melvin cant do anything stupid.
What evidence to you have for any of that? Melvin is the GM last I checked, not Attanasio. Do you really think he's on the phone screaming at Melvin to trade for Jarrod freaking Washburn at all costs?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think Mark A's goal, and maybe Doug's too, is to always be about ten games over .500. That way, it's never quite good enough to be relevant in the post-season, but it keeps the stands packed and provides a consistent "winning" atmosphere. But we'll never get over any sort of hump if we create the market at the deadline with our young talent each and every year.

I just think adding Gamel/Escobar/Salome will produce equal-better numbers than anyone save Braun/Fielder/Weeks has this year. Salome will outproduce our catching numbers this year, Escobar will outproduce our SS production this year, and Gamel will outproduce our 3B production this year. Having Braun/Fielder/Weeks around these guys will lead to a nice offense imho. Sure they'll struggle at times, but so has a ton of people on this year's offense. I don't see why those three shouldn't be given a great shot next season.

Archived