Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn- Latest: Beat Reporters for both teams think they're talking

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way...Happy Birthday Brandon Morrow.

Anyway, despite that looming Tuesday start, I'd feel a lot better about this deal (relatively speaking) if the Brewers made the deal Friday morning after tearing through the Nationals.

I can't imagine how I'd feel this Friday morning if we'd dealt JJ or Escobar for Washburn tomorrow morning and they just dropped two or three at home to Washington. Actually, I can.

BrewCrewIn2004[/b]]If Hardy is the SS moved I am all for this. If it is Escobar, I will be outraged. Like really, really mad. It would ruin my day.
Same here. I think outraged would be an understatement. I just don't understand how we wouldn't include Escobar in a trade for Halliday, but we would for Washburn. Like I said before, I have confidence in Melvin that he won't trade Escobar to Seattle.

Of all of the pitchers the brewers could get besides Lee and Halladay which appear to be unlikely, Washburn is my favorite.. he has had a really really good year and although he is a free agent he is the most likely candidate to sign a deal.. he was born here and i remember the brewers activly pursued him the last time he was a free agent.. I'd say trading Hardy and playing escobar will make our team instantly better even if we didn't get a pitcher. to have a line up of:

Escobar

Lopez

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Cameron

Hart

Kendall

would win us a lot of games. But besides hardy who do we throw in? We certainly won't be able to get the mariners to straight up trade him for Hardy.. My deal is that we Trade Hardy and Gindl and Shaefer for Morrow and Washburn..

If Escobar is in the deal, then it will be a bigger deal than what is rumored.

Also, Jack Z may think Hall has some value. Lord, I hope he does.

How about Escobar and Hall for Washburn and Branyan??? I would love to see Branyan get some RF time for us.

Escobar

Lopez

Braun

Fielder

McGehee

Cameron

Hart

Kendall

I think there is a good chance that Escobar may be a good hitter in the future, but seeing him leadoff this year would be almost as disappointing as seeing Kendall up there..

Any trade of Gamel, Escobar or any of our current MLB starters for anything other than a top of the line pitcher would be a huge disappointment.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If there is a trade made, how many would be in favor of including Branyan? Hall could go to Seattle with the Brewers picking up all (or most) of the salary. Include Gindl and/or some fringe A pitcher that Z might like.

I haven't thought this all the way through, which is usually dangerous for me, but with a banged up Casey, and a hamstrung Felipe, I kinda like Branyan for depth at 3B.

Are there other teams that are looking at Branyan, or could the Brewers hope to get him for not much?

Edit: I typed Gindl, but meant to type Katin. Not really sure why I made that mistake, other than it's late and I didn't think it through completely, which I already acknowledged was dangerous.

Not to be a downer but, Melvin sent the Padres one of our top 10 & one our top 20 prospects at the time(plus another arm) for a setup man.

He also sent our Number 1,11 & 24prosepcts(plus an arm) for a pitcher(might I say a great pitcher) who had a 1/2 year left on his contract & no real chance to sign.

While I think Mark A was driving the boat on both of these, what is not to say he is not trying to push this trade thru, no matter what the cost. If thats the case Im sure Jack Z knows this too.

I dont want it to happen but I would not be surprised if it is Washburn for Escobar.

We really miss those 3 average prospects that went for Linebrink. If one of them would be up pitching decent for the Padres I would say it is a loss. Doug tried to help the team, sometimes those things just dont work out. Even with CC trade blew up, becaue Brittle Ben could not pull his weight in the second half last year.

As much as I want to move Escobar before he shows no bat in the bigs, I would not move him for any of these packages. Same with Hardy hold till next year, if this is the best out there.

Branyan is no longer a 3B. You can't ignore him being healthy for the first time ever coincided with him moving off 3B.

Really? He can never play 3B again? Yes, I don't think it's a coincidence that he is playing so well while getting full time at 1B. I think it's silly to say that he is no longer a 3B. But if he came to the Brewers, it wouldn't be to play 3B every day. He would, at most, play 3B against some RHP, and I don't think he would take over for Casey there.

Casey has done well with regular PT, I don't it would be efficient use of resources to have him only play against LHP. But maybe he would benefit from one or two days off a week against RHP and Branyan would be a nice option to have. It would of course be difficult for Branyan to stay good while sitting on the bench, so I am fully aware this isn't a great solution, but with a couple of banged up MI on the roster, it would be nice to have Branyan as an option.

Edit: It's after midnight, do you know where your GM is? He said they work 9-midnight most of the year. Did Melvin and Z hang up the phone recently? We should really have MP spies for times like these.

I'm in the minority, but I hope Hardy isn't traded. He's had a down year, but he's a good player who is a fan favorite, and is a homegrown product.

Escobar doesn't seem to fit Melvin's mold. He'd rather have a 20+ HR guy than a .280, 5 HR guy. If they thought he was the answer, I'd imagine Hardy would have been dealt by now.

It'll be a VERY interesting next 24 hours.

I agree. JJ Hardy could really solidify shortstop for ten years. Escobar... I'd also like to see stick around - especially with Rickie Weeks' injury problems.

I'm hoping it's something like Gamel/Katin/Amaury Rivas for Washburn instead of Escobar.

Edit: It's after midnight, do you know where your GM is? He said they work 9-midnight most of the year. Did Melvin and Z hang up the phone recently? We should really have MP spies for times like these.
It's still before 11 PM out here in PST! Jack Z should just be getting his second wind!

Anyway, I hope this deal as described doesn't happen but if it does I hope it is before I wake up tomorrow because these vigils of constant refreshing are the pits.

Still think if it will, it'll be by tomorrow night, but I'd rather Dillard pitch Tuesday and wait and see how the series versus the Nats goes before pulling any trigger.

It's still before 11 PM out here in PST! Jack Z should just be getting his second wind!

I can't imagine being Melvin in a situation like this. Two sides are dancing around each other, trying to feel each other out, trying to reach a trade without showing your hand or looking desperate. And then it's time to go home and turn your brain off so you can actually get to sleep and then come to work the next day refreshed. But you will have to wait until late morning or early afternoon for the dancing partner to get to work on the west coast and get through the rest of his morning activities before they pick up the talks again.

Edit:

Yahoo! Travel tells me that if they want to get Washburn from Seattle to Milwaukee Monday before 1130 PM, they need to get him on a plane by 2 or so.

He's going on 35, do you really think he'll that effective beyond this year? Maybe I'm not "in the know" like some of you guys but he hasn't exactly been a good pitcher for quite some time before this year has he? Safeco Field is a pretty pitcher friendly park, how would he do here? This proposed trade scares me.

I can't believe people are really worried that Melvin would trade Escobar for anyone in a Mariner outfit. He is going nowhere. I think it will be Hardy, Green, and a pitcher for Washburn, Morrow, and Balentien.

Hardy should be more than enough by himself to get Washbuirn and Morrow. Washburn doesn't have any value after this season because no way would the Mariners offer him arbitration. Morrow has had terrible control throughout his career, we're talking McClung like. If anything more than roster filler would be included it makes no sense. (Keep in mind Hardy brings with him 2 picks in 2011).

Archived