Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn- Latest: Beat Reporters for both teams think they're talking

Hardy for Washburn and Morrow. Get that done Doug. Bring up Escobar, and we're all set. Washburn would be an upgrade at the back-end of the rotation for us, and Morrow has great potential. We would likely deal Hardy in the offseason anyway, so I say do it now.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardy for Washburn and Morrow. Get that done Doug. Bring up Escobar, and we're all set. Washburn would be an upgrade at the back-end of the rotation for us, and Morrow has great potential. We would likely deal Hardy in the offseason anyway, so I say do it now.
If we could do that I would be all for it, but I dont think the Mariners do that deal. They only have one plus year of Hardy, and give up Morrow for what 4 years or more and a half a season of Washburn. We would have to give a prospect too I would suspect. Maybe Salome

Why is there interest in Washburn? I can see Morrow, but Washburn is just a guy. It's like getting excited for the team getting Looper or Suppan. Hard to muster much enthusiasm for a guy like that.

Morrow would be a good pick-up but not at the cost of Escobar. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. You don't trade a top position prospect for a pitching prospect who already has over 2 years of service time and may be a reliever.

Washburn isn't "just a guy". He's got a 4.03 career ERA pitching exclusively in the AL. That's far better than either Looper or Suppan would do facing DH's every start. Think Ted Lilly, who was "just a guy" in the AL and and All Star in the NL. Washburn is at the top of his form and would be a big help.

I think i read something the other day that washburn's groundball rate had gone up a lot this season---still...he's very suspicious...i wouldn't give up anyone in the top 5 for him, that's for sure...

Yeah, I do not wanna see us trade Hardy for Jarod Washburn, that would be terrible.

Also, I like Washburn I have actually been hunting with him. But lets not get carried away here. Yes he is pitching in the AL, but he has been pitching in the AL West, in Seattle a very very freindly pitchers park.

I think a deal with Seattle is certainly the most likely scenario at this point. I would look for Hardy, Green, and another prospect heading to Seattle for Washburn and a couple more arms. I agree Hardy will not do well in Safeco, but I think Jack Z. will roll the dice on it.

Thanks for posting. In that article he's basically just connecting the dots of what we know at this point, but comes to the logical conclusion that since the Brewers won't officially announce Dillard as the Tuesday starter (yes, it's still TBA on the website as of 9:27pm), Washburn is scheduled to pitch Tuesday, and the Brewers and Mariners are talking and have the Jack Z connection, it's quite possible that something will happen tomorrow.

If they are going to do a deal with Seattle, the logical thing in my mind is to also bring back Russell the Muscle as well. How great would he look in this lineup right now?? Play him where you ask?? Plug him in at 3rd. If you must, then platoon him with Mcgehee.

I'm not loving this idea, but it's probably the best the Brewers can do at this point. They sure better get more than Washburn in return for Hardy. I like the Washburn + Morrow idea, but that's unrealistic. Seattle's always been the likely trade partner, but with Bedard out of the question I'm much more interested in what it would take to get Brandon Morrow. Washburn doesn't excite me, though as others have said it isn't impossible for him to continue his success.

At some point, if the Crew's going to make a move, you need to trade from strength to fill a need. The Brewers (at least theoretically) have plenty of hitting. They need pitching help in a big way -- and Seattle has it to spare. You have to give to get.

The best position the Brewers can be in is to have both Hardy & Escobar. Eventually they need to commit to one of them at SS for at least the next few years. With Lopez in town, and if he stays, the Crew could have an IF next year of Fielder-Weeks-Escobar-Gamel starting, and Lopez & Counsell on the bench -- with Counsell & especially Lopez ready to take over as a regular at any position other than 1B. Or Escobar could still be in AAA if needed since I didn't even remember yet about McGehee until this sentence. OR you subtract Escobar & add Hardy into that if Escobar's the one who's traded.

I could see Hardy & a B-prospect to Seattle for Washburn & Morrow & a 3rd pitcher. For all the valid pros & cons, I think that just may be a decent deal.

I could see Hardy & a B-prospect to Seattle for Washburn & Morrow & a 3rd pitcher. For all the valid pros & cons, I think that just may be a decent deal.

Actually, considering that they also would need a Tuesday starter, Tim Dillard would fit the bill nicely as that B Prospect.

I feel sorry for Melvin. He knows like most of us that a deal like this won't lead to us making the playoffs in all likelihood (and might hurt us long-term), but I believe his hand is being forced by the whole idea that 3 million in attendance means they have to make some kind of move to appease the fanbase. So they'll make a move just to say they made a move.

Actually, considering that they also would need a Tuesday starter, Tim Dillard would fit the bill nicely as that B Prospect.

To go with Peavey's previous post.... Maybe Hardy is the one being dealt and Escobar is getting called up due to a deal like this in place.

To possibly calm some worries he is still listed on the Nashville Sounds once you click his name (unlike the screen before).

Thanks! It looks like the Phillies' prospects being talked about for Halladay have something similar going on as well, though. Not sure if it's just something they do when a roster move of some kind might be coming?

I think there's definitely smoke here, possibly fire. Or a lot of coincidences. Either way, I think if a trade is to be made, it'll happen sometime in the next 24 hours.

I would totally support trading Hardy, even if he's probably at a lower value, I'd like to think that Melvin could still get some value for him. Hardy is really an excess piece at the moment, it'd be nice to turn him into some pitching.

Archived