Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn- Latest: Beat Reporters for both teams think they're talking

Interesting that Snell, you'd think, will definitely be in the M's rotation next week. Does that lessen their bargaining power with a Washburn trade, or does that mean one is virtually done? And if Snell is added to the rotation and Morrow is not, how much lower is his value going to be in the off-season?

I don't know what the price is on Morrow, but I'd look into it right about now...

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could Snell now be moved to Milwaukee?

Actually Snell went with Wilson to Seattle. Pittsburg actually got some decent talent in return.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Could Snell now be moved to Milwaukee?

Actually Snell went with Wilson to Seattle. Pittsburg actually got some decent talent in return.

That's what I'm saying, Hart and prospects for Washburn/Snell/Morrow. We need all we can get.

Yeah! He had a good night! Freakin' amazin'! Strike up the Band! Here comes that huge second half!

My point is that it wasn't fluky, and his swing looked like the swing we know from J.J. Hardy. I would not be surprised at all to see him start hitting, and agree with your desire to see a big second half from him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have a hard timing buying that he's a Brad Nelson type. When he was drafted he was largely regarded as one of the best power hitters in the draft.

Abd BA had Brad Nelson as the top prospect in our system at one time too. However, neither one has been more than a pretty good AAA hitter. Pretty good doesn't get you a starting 1B job. Clement turns 25 in a few weeks. He's pretty close to maxxed out. He'll be nothing more than a back-up type like Robert Fick. The Brewers have quality starting position players, they need to concentrate their resources on pitching.

You don't have to use bogus comparisons to try to prove your point.

Minor League Stats:

Nelson

270 .349 .441 .789

Clement

.286 .374 .497 .871

Mauer (for comparison)

.332 .407 .426 .833

Almost .100 point higher OPS and .025 point higher OBP than Nelson. Better OPS than Mauer.

The only reason he hasn't been catching much this year is that he had some offseason knee issues, and it's not unusual for a catching prospect to not make a major league impact until age 25 or 26.

I'm surprised to hear how much teams are allegedly willing to give up to get Jarrod Washburn. Last year, Seattle was desperate to get rid of him, and couldn't even give him away.

I am almost positive that I just heard that Rickie could be a PTBNL.

Could Bedard be a PTBNL too?

You don't have to use bogus comparisons to try to prove your point.

I didn't. You just posted stats without any league adjustment. Like I said, his minor league numbers are skewed by playing at San Antonio and Tacoma. Do some league adjustments already, and you'll realize Clement ain't much.

Comparing Clements stats to Mauers is bogus too. Mauer was in the Bigs by the age Clement signed a pro contract. Mauer is just 4 months older than Clement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Comparing Clements stats to Mauers is bogus too. Mauer was in the Bigs by the age Clement signed a pro contract. Mauer is just 4 months older than Clement.
For anyone who hangs their hats on OPS, this is already a skewed comparison because Mauer has never been remotely considered a power hitter, per se, before this year, but has always been a far better major league hitting prospect.

Replacing Kendall with a Clement would save us $4 million or so.
Kendall is already paid for this year. Kendall is not signed for next year, and there is no way the Brewers (or anyone) are going to pay him $4M in the future. I forsee him signing a Counsell type deal ($1M) to return to Milwaukee when no one shows any interest in him during the offseason. Which wouldn't be bad if the manager would have the sense to have him split time with Rivera/Salome/Lucroy.

If the Yankees are now interested in Washburn and in need of CF help, isn't there some sort of 3 way deal to be made here? The Brewers have the SS the Mariners want. The Mariners have the SP the Yankees want, and the Yankees have some young pitchers the Brewers (and Mariners) should want. This is very much off the top of my head and admitedly not well thought out, but something along the lines of...

Brewers give: Hardy/Cameron/Prospect

Brewers get: Phil Hughes/Melky Cabrera

Mariners Give: Washburn and something

Mariners get: Hardy and something

Yankees: Give: Phil Hughes and Melky Cabrera

Yankees get: Washburn, Cameron and something else

Like I said, its rough, and the Yankees would probably be unwilling to deal Hughes in a deal like this, but you get the general idea. The prospects and something else are obviously the keys to making it work. I don't know, maybe I'm just talking like a Cub fan now.

I wouldn't mind getting Melky Cabrera and Phil Hughes from the Yanks. But I doubt with how good Hughes has been as an 8th inning guy that they get rid of him now. And Cabrera has actually had a real nice season.
I would rather try to get Kennedy and Swisher from the Yankees. Cabrera is just yuck to me.

just a navel-gazing wish/tangent?
Unless you go by the off season when the Yankees were interested in Cameron as being still true today. I believe the Yankees are still interested in Cameron right now it is just at what cost. I always thought a Swisher for Cameron trade would be good for both sides Kennedy or Hughes is probably out of the question but I can dream about Kennedy right?

Archived