Brewer Fanatic

Jarrod Washburn- Latest: Beat Reporters for both teams think they're talking

and that Clement is a 'catcher' who can hit but hasn't hit at the major league level and who is terrible defensively and likely won't stick at C which means mediocre future 1B.

Sounds a lot like Angel Salome to me.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I've loved Clement since he was drafted, so I'd be thrilled to get him here and let him work on his defense with Don Money and staff, who seem to at least be helping Angel to some degree.

Washburn, Morrow and Clement is exactly the kind of deal I would want to see the Brewers do.

I agree.... you get a couple of guys that can help our staff now, but more importantly, a couple of guys in Morrow and Clement that will be here a while and add to our young, up-coming talent as well.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess he could be traded as a PTBNL?

Weeks' injury isn't the reason for this team's decline. Look at who've we've had playing 2B since then. Counsell, McGehee, and Lopez. Not exactly terrible production out of those three.

I also have to question those who are adamant about not trading Weeks. I know he was on fire at the start of the season...but there's no way of telling if he was going to keep up that pace the rest of the year, or if he was going to regress closer to his career averages. Also, with an injury like he has now, there's no way of telling for sure what kind of player he will be when he does finally return.

As far as the proposed package, Washburn/Morrow/Clement sounds like about as good a haul Melvin could get at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I guess he could be traded as a PTBNL?

Players on the 40 man roster are not eligable to be PTBNL. However injured players can be traded with commissioners consent. I don't know if there's a recent precedent for this.

At this point, the Brewers should pass on rentals. They should continue to search for pitchers who could help through next year, and Melvin needs to get something done. Memo to Doug: No more soft tossers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I am almost positive that I just heard that Rickie could be a PTBNL. I guess in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. If we wanted to trade him it would be done one way or the other

But anyways unless we are also getting someone like Morrow back, the Mariners aren't a realy logicl trading partner anymore. That is unless Doug still think we are only 1 pitcher away.

Even if Clement cannot stick at catcher he could be a nice answer to Prince leaving in a couple years. I would love a trade for Clement, Morrow and Washburn because it is being a buyer but looking toward the future. Of course that is totally dependent on who we would have to give up. I just do not see Doug trading Escobar or Gamel right now so I am not sure who we could trade to get that return. Hardy obviously, but who else would we need to throw in to make it a deal.

Clement's minor league stats are inflated from playing at San Antonia and Tacoma. He's not a special hitter, and doesn't profile to have enough offense as a 1B. He's more of a Brad Nelson type. Thats why Seattle is willing to deal him even though they need hitters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

For example, some "stat people" believe it's a foregone conclusion that Hardy is going to finish strong. Some people that look at other things might tell you otherwise.

J.J. sure looked like the J.J. we know tonight. Maybe these "stat people" utilize data in a relatively reliable way.

Yeah! He had a good night! Freakin' amazin'! Strike up the Band! Here comes that huge second half!

The point is ANYBODY can look at stats. If that's all it took, everyone and their brother could work in baseball as a personnel guy. GM's and other personnel guys use stats as a smaller part of their player evaluations than many of us do. They don't simply rely on past performance as being predictive of futute performance.

P.S. - I hope J.J. has a huge second half. If he gets locked in he's definitely capable, but that's also his problem; with his swing I think he needs to have his timing down just right.

Clement's minor league stats are inflated from playing at San Antonia and Tacoma. He's not a special hitter, and doesn't profile to have enough offense as a 1B. He's more of a Brad Nelson type. Thats why Seattle is willing to deal him even though they need hitters.
I have a hard timing buying that he's a Brad Nelson type. When he was drafted he was largely regarded as one of the best power hitters in the draft.

Brewers not pursuing Washburn -- per FoxSports...

"The reasons: The Brewers do not want to give up good prospects for two months of Washburn at a time when they have lost 16 of their last 23 games."

I guess I'm glad. I definitely didn't want to give anyone significant up for a couple months of Jarrod Washburn.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Clement would at least be a pinch hitter worth using if any MLB manager is willing to risk using their other catcher in that role (Ned and Macha now have me wondering if that's too "risky"). He'd give us someone that we could use at first every blue moon for Fielder or (knock on wood) if Fielder has to miss any time (we don't really have anyone else unless you like Cat). And there's always that chance he improves defensively or that when he gets here and catches, we realize he's not nearly as bad as has been written or that his bat basically makes up for the sized downgrade he is defensively.

I like these three guys in a trade with Seattle (Washburn/Morrow/Clement), provided we can just deal them Hardy/Salome/JZ nugget (10-20 range).

Maybe the whole deal is that teams will negotiate a 2 year deal with Washburn before any trade is announced. Who knows.

I definitely would want to know if he's a rental before any deal is made.

2yr/20mil? With Cameron coming off the books, it seems possible.

The problem trading for and then trying to extend Washburn is that he is a Boras client coming off a pretty amazing year. I doubt he gives anyone a discount. Why would he? There is going to be some team out there willing to give him a Suppan-esque deal. I just hope it isn't the Crew.

Clement/Morrow from Seattle would be great, even if the Seattle fans seem to think Clement isn't a legitimate catcher, but more of a DH.

I have a hard timing buying that he's a Brad Nelson type. When he was drafted he was largely regarded as one of the best power hitters in the draft.

Abd BA had Brad Nelson as the top prospect in our system at one time too. However, neither one has been more than a pretty good AAA hitter. Pretty good doesn't get you a starting 1B job. Clement turns 25 in a few weeks. He's pretty close to maxxed out. He'll be nothing more than a back-up type like Robert Fick. The Brewers have quality starting position players, they need to concentrate their resources on pitching.

Brewers not pursuing Washburn -- per FoxSports...

"The reasons: The Brewers do not want to give up good prospects for two months of Washburn at a time when they have lost 16 of their last 23 games."

Hmm, so does this mean we are officially in a selling mode? Or just that we are going to stand pat?

Clement turns 25 in a few weeks. He's pretty close to maxxed out. He'll be nothing more than a back-up type like Robert Fick. The Brewers have quality starting position players, they need to concentrate their resources on pitching.
Well we don't exactly have a quality starting catcher. Replacing Kendall with a Clement would save us $4 million or so. Replacing Hardy with Escobar would save us another $4 million. If we can get Morrow too, would it really be a terrible move to swing Hardy over to the Ms?

An updated version of the Foxsports.com link is reporting that Clement was taken out of the Tacoma lineup yesterday and told he was being traded. So, the Brewers still may be involved in some sort of trade with the Mariners. Though they are also reporting that the Red Sox and Pirates had scouts in Tacoma.

Either way, I hope the report about the Brewers no longer being interested in Washburn is true.

Archived