Brewer Fanatic

McClung to DL; Dillard recalled from Nashville

McClung left the game due to injury yesterday, so we can assume this is fairly legitimate.

Hopefully some rest and recuperation will do Seth well. He has endeared himself to many fans and even though he isn't a premium pitcher or reliever, he has still been an important part of our bullpen this year.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Yeah, if you were watching the game last night, you could tell that something was wrong with his elbow. He messed it up on that wild pitch he threw. Then he seemed to favor it until he left the game with 2 outs. It's not a fake injury at all. If it was, they would've waited until Tuesday when they needed Dillard to place McClung on the DL.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It was inexcusable to keep throwing him out there with his 1:1 k/bb ratio. He isn't good at all.

Dillard isn't impressive here either with his 44/42 ratio this year. Hopefully he can manage some success and keep the Brewers afloat.

Hopefully Dillard does indeed start Tuesday, I read on Adam McCalvy's blog that Macha mentioned (gasp) Villanueva as a possible candidate. That would really be bad. I would much rather give Dillard a chance. And then hopefully we have a new pitcher from a trade by the next time that spot comes around in the rotation.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

McClung hasn't been the same since he made those starts. It makes you wonder if this had been brewing for awhile. Kind of like Bush's starts after he got hit with the liner.

I'd rather see Dillard out there on Tuesday. CV can still be an effective reliever, don't waste him like we may have done with McClung. Either start Dillard, or even Burns, acquire someone soon or just keep crossing their fingers on Bush. Let's not start wasting more arms.

Invader, I've wondered if maybe the Brewers should give Villy an offer. Pitch in long relief in the big leagues, pitch in the bullpen in AAA, pitch in the rotation in AAA.

In the meantime, I'd call up Axford or Wooten to try to stabilize late inning relief

McClung hasn't been the same since he made those starts. It makes you wonder if this had been brewing for awhile. Kind of like Bush's starts after he got hit with the liner.

I was going to say the same thing. Something probably happened when he tried going deeper into games and didn't get stretched out enough, and often times an injury is caused when someone is favoring something else that doesn't feel good causing them to lose the correct form. His ERA as a reliever prior to starting was something like 2.50, and the way he's blown up since starting is really odd for him to have been 100%.

Honks - it would be something for a guy to make it to the majors all the way from A-ball in a season. The pitchers they have on the 40-man who aren't on the team are Swindle, Green, Wright, Scarpetta, Rogers, Periard, and Aguilar, but it could certainly be argued that Axford and Wooten could be better bullpen options right now than any of them. Although in his last 10 appearances Chase Wright has a 3.11 ERA despite mediocre peripherals, so he could be another lefty bullpen option. My guess is that Swindle or Wright would get the callup before Wooten or Axford.

I can't believe Macha would have any confidence in Villy as a starter at this point.

I can't either. I think Macha's way of "getting his point across" to Melvin is to put players in a role in which they cannot possibly succeed, forcing Melvin to trade for a better player. Case in point, batting Kendall leadoff and only giving Gamel sporadic ABs, forcing Melvin to get Lopez. Notice that Macha made that comment in an article about the Brewers possibly trading for a pitcher.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't think cumulative stats tell the McClung story well. He can be quite good or bad. I'm sure the staff wonders what they'll get. He hasn't done well in a while though. Those starts were brutal.
Formerly AKA Pete

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dillard's K:BB ratio in Nashville is 1.05:1. Is there any reason to expect he'll do well as a major league starter?
I think at this point, its that he is next in line... He did ok as a reliever last year and ok as a AAA starter, and everyone else ahead of him flopped, so... here he is. I was rooting for him to make the BP out of ST, but holding low expectations as a SP. Maybe having Kendall as a catcher will make him better. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived