Brewer Fanatic

TEX Padilla has swine flu: Olney is concerned

Not entirely sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but with the recent diagnosis of Rangers' Vicente Padilla with the swine flu, Buster Olney thinks it may be an issue that could circulate through the Majors if teams are not careful.

In an ESPN Insider article excerpt (the rest was not visible due to me not subscribing), Olney mentions that Rangers Manager Ron Washington has had difficulty finding enough 100 percent healthy bodies to field a lineup. In the first few paragraphs, Olney mentions that the Rangers have seven players with lingering flu-like symptoms.

I work in the Health Care Industry and a colleague of mine was diagnosed with it a couple months ago and now we have protective masks in event we need to be prepared for the worst.

But a Major League clubhouse can be just as hazardous, as players use the same facilities and other things. Anyone think Olney is creating something out of nothing?

For me, I still head to work like it is another day at the office and do my job. Are players showing any vigilance in protecting themselves on the road? Especially when in more deeply infected regions of the United States?

Back in late May/early June when the Swine Flu scare was at its peak in New York, the Mets had a scare when they thought Carlos Beltran and John Maine might've caught it. I believe it ended up being just the "normal" flu, but it had people in baseball genuinely worried. It's definitely a real threat, with how many players come through visiting clubhouses during the year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

swine flu was overblown.. the symptoms & risks are similar to a normal flu
Exactly. I live at Ground Zero here in Texas (sans Mexico) and there is pretty much zero concern. Every year or two there seems to be some "get scared" medical buzzword. I think driving on our highways is much more threatening to our mortality.

My staff got all bent out of shape when one girl at work was diagnosed with influenza A (I guess the health dept no longer checks further for swine flu). Several came to the office freaking out and I dryly asked "ya pregnant or have a weak immune system?". When they said no I shrugged my shoulders and grunted. We've undoubtedly had employees with worse communicable illnesses before, but they got freaked out because this somehow became "the big one". I really hate hysteria and everyone trying to play the expert when making doomsday predictions.

Milwaukee has some of the nation's highest rates of Swine Flu and we have yet to hear of a Brewer with it. I would assume this is rather isolated, but we'll see.

Milwaukee is just better at paperwork.

My first thought was Prince with Nelson Cruz in the HR Derby. But, Prince is always coughing anyway so...

Archived