Brewer Fanatic

What happens to the bats during day games?

Baldkin

Just looking at splits for the season, overwhelmingly the Crew's bats get quieter during day games.

Hardy:

Day (105 AB): .114/.175/.152/.327

Night(223 AB): .283/.347/.480/.827

Braun

Day(127 AB): .244/.289/.449/.738

Night(234 AB): .346/.440/.603/1.043

Hart:

Day(100 AB): .220/.292/.380/.672

Night(232 AB): .276/.350/.431/.781

Counsell:

Day (78 AB): .231/.333/.333/.666

Night (179 AB): .324/.380/.469/.849

Kendall:

Day(95 AB) .168/.238/.221/.459

Night(189 AB) .280/.372/.317/.689

Fielder and Cameron are about the same, and McGeehee is hugely better during the day.

I realize this could be a small sample alert, but when you're putting almost 500 ABs combined, and an OPS upwards of .200 points over 5 players, it seems to be a bit of a trend to me.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Could it have anything to do with the shadows as Braun complained about?

No. It's just a weak excuse by the players. They didn't have any problems hitting during the day last year. Now that they suck during the day this year they're looking for any excuse to try and explain it.

You'd think if it were the shadows, our pitchers would have a big split Day vs Night games as well. They really don't.

BAA: Day/Night

Gallardo: .203/.213

Suppan: .308/.299

Bush: .287/.277

Looper: .273/.268

Parra: .272/.319

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Perhaps we should do the Yost approach and play our backups on day games. It seemed to work more. Of course, I'm still convinced Macha has us roughly 5 games behind where Yost would have. I'm wondering if we'll can Macha soon and put Randolph or Sveum in charge.

Wow, considering a manger's influence is likely a game or two a season, that has to be one of the more inventive statements I've seen in a while.

The team has been outscored for the season. They are lucky to be where they are.

Bats hibernate during the day because they are nocturnal creatures....

Yeah, whenever I've encountered one during the day, it's been pretty lethargic. "Timid" and even "disoriented" would be apt descriptors. At night, they're just the opposite: peppy and aware of their surroundings.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Bats hibernate during the day because they are nocturnal creatures.

If I may be pedantic for a moment...

Bats sleep during the day because they are nocturnal creatures. Hibernation is a metabolic process that animals use to conserve energy during periods of time when food is in short supply (e.g., winter). So while many bats do hibernate, it's not at all related to their nocturnal lifestyle.

Bats hibernate during the day because they are nocturnal creatures.

If I may be pedantic for a moment...

Bats sleep during the day because they are nocturnal creatures. Hibernation is a metabolic process that animals use to conserve energy during periods of time when food is in short supply (e.g., winter). So while many bats do hibernate, it's not at all related to their nocturnal lifestyle.

I'm glad I didn't continue on because I was going to refer to bats as birds, Moby Dick as a fish, peanuts as nuts, and was going to use the word "literally" in a hyperbolic nature.

I heard Sparky ranting on WSSP after the game today, he said that's 16 straight day game losses.

Could it have anything to do with the shadows as Braun complained about?

I know this has been discussed in a another thread, but the Braves feed made a huge deal about this in their broadcast today. They said their players were hoping the clouds would remain for the day so they didn't have the shadows. It's apparently not only the Brewers complaining about this issue. It was mentioned a ton and was a decent part of the pre-game by the booth guys.

Well, day games usually follow night games, and since the Brewers can't win two in a row and they usually win at night . . .

Or maybe they just aren't that good right now. They're a bottom half team in an inferior league. Doesn't mean that circumstances won't conspire to put them back in the playoffs again, but all the objective indicators point to them needing assistance from outside the organization to make it happen.

Archived