Brewer Fanatic

Who will have better MLB career?- Mat Gamel (Brewers), Matt LaPorta (Indians), or Brett Wallace (A's)

Pudster13

I didn't know much about Wallace before the trade rumors started up, but from everything I've read since, it seems unlikely that he'll stick at 3rd.

I was impressed with Gamel's defense in his time up here, and expect him to be league average at 3rd eventually. Offensively, he reminds me a ton of JD Drew, so I think he'll be a good stick for many years.

Matt LaPorta is a RF'er at best, but more likely a 1B/DH/LF. I'd guess he'll be a .250/.350/.450 hitter, so he'll have value, but not as much as Gamel or Wallace. I'm really hoping he's just flops at the big league level though.

My best guess: Gamel, Wallace, and then LaPorta.

Because the lead post in this thread doesn't ask for any more than that?

It asks if anyone has a 6th sense about the success or failures of players? I missed that. I don't have that kind of ability to project players that way.

I thought this forum in general attempts to avoid posts saying so and so sucks or such and such will happen...because I just know it, etc. I apologize if I'm in error thinking that. I just personally don't like posts like that because it seems more of what you'd find at espn.com or whatever, but to each their own.

It asks if anyone has a 6th sense about the success or failures of players? I missed that. I don't have that kind of ability to project players that way.

It asks for simple opinion, and that's what was given. He clearly stated it was nothing more than that and just his gut feeling. Not sure why you have such a problem with that. Not three days ago you posted: "People are entitled to their own opinion or at least that's what I thought was the case."

It asks for simple opinion, and that's what was given. He clearly stated it was nothing more than that and just his gut feeling. Not sure why you have such a problem with that. Not three days ago you posted: "People are entitled to their own opinion or at least that's what I thought was the case."

I don't see where it's asking for just a guy feeling or 6th sense. I don't know if it's been edited or if I'm just clearly missing something obvious. You once again pick my posts apart, but I expect that. I have no problem with an opinion...but to say a player was failed because one has a 6th sense and their usually right about that strikes me as elitist...especially from a moderator....and then having another moderator defend it. I'm probably more wrong than right, but I try to use more than 'I feel this and I'm right...'

That just seems incredibly strange to me and like I said somewhat elititist...again especially since I'm being questioned why I think it's wrong by another moderator defending it. It's not a big deal...I just would rather get information about lottery tickets, stock information, etc. than a 6th sense that Gamel will not be a good player. You could just say you don't see Gamel being good because of X, Y, or Z and it would be fine...saying he won't be because you can somewhat predict the future and you're usually right is a little different IMO. He struck out too much in the bigs, defense has questions, he's a little older than most amazing prospects that have had HOF, etc, etc would all be somewhat valid. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion...if somebody can predict the future here that's pretty sweet...I just don't know if that's an opinion, a fact, or just supernatural.

To be clear, my point is the same whether a moderator or anyone else posted it, and whether it was you or someone else that took such an issue with it. Again, you just posted a few days ago that you felt people weren't being allowed to express their opinions, and now you're trying to suppress someone from doing just that.

I just don't know if that's an opinion, a fact, or just supernatural.

He clearly stated that it was just his opinion and not based on anything more than that. If he'd have just posted 'Gamel will be the worst' without any reasoning at all, I'd agree with you. This is a prediction thread where people are TRYING to predict the future- if this was a thread where someone posted "Cameron is terrible, that's my opinion," it's a totally different scenario/situation.

I'm with you on this one Hardy. A lot of people get defended on this site more than others. Don't worry about and just move on.

To answer the question Pudster...I am going with Gamel, Wallace and then LaPorta. I personally don't think LaPorta will have much of a career in the big leagues.

I believe LaPorta will have a career similar to Sexson or Burnitz I'm leaning more towards a career like Burnitz than Sexson though. LaPorta is a big bat and his value is in his slugging. The original poster is trying to compare three different kind of players and seeing who will have the better MLB career. Well that depends on what you see as a better career both Burnitz and Sexson were good MLB players for a time and then their careers tailed off. Gamel is the more complete player of the three but Gamel probably won't hit for a high average like Wallace will (my opinion) or have a high slugging percentage like LaPorta will. Gamel will have a higher OPS than LaPorta and Wallace and will probably have a OBP close to what Wallace will have and a slugging percentage just below LaPorta. Defensively Gamel will probably be better than both LaPorta and Wallace both will probably be DH's for their clubs.

All three are different players and it really depends on what you value. Do you value a high OPS player in Gamel? or do you value a high average guy in Wallace? or do you want the slugger in LaPorta? All three of the players have value and all three will be good MLB players.

okay, I posted last night and then posted one more time and left it at that, thinking it was done. Boy, was I wrong.

Been gone all day and this is the first opportunity I've had to read this. I'm kind of shocked.

This was a prediction thread. I made a prediction. I thought the whole "sixth sense" thing would have been viewed as such. Apparently not.

Thank you, peavey, for defending me, although I never, ever, would have thought that a prediction comment would be taken so literally. So I apologize that you had to defend me while I was enjoying myself at the lake.

Otherwise, I am at a loss of words. Apparently, I need to use the blue font a WHOLE heck of a lot more than I do now, because things are not getting across to other members.

JJ, I apologize if you actually thought that I believed that I had some sixth sense. I was just working my inner Carnac and I thought most posters would have understood the jest.

That said, I stand by my original call.

edit: I don't understand any "moderator" stuff that was said, as if I'm greater than the common man/woman of brewerfan.net. I absolutely know that I am not.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

He clearly stated that it was just his opinion and not based on anything more than that.

Actually he clearly stated he "had a sixth sense" and he "was usually right about this sort of stuff". It certainly implies that his opinion holds a little more weight -- which is fine -- not all opinions are equal, -- my opinion on stats isn't as weighty as Ennder's or Russ's, for example. -- However, I think once you cross that line you'd better be able to defend your statements.

To be clear, my point is the same whether a moderator or anyone else posted it

In all fairness, if JB12, Al, or Satan-incarnate JJHardy would have said "I'm usually right about this" -- they would have been tore into....

In all fairness, if JB12, Al, or Satan-incarnate JJHardy would have said "I'm usually right about this" -- they would have been tore into....

To use one of your lines: This is both inaccurate and unnecessary.

If you wish to take further issue about moderation policies or actions, I'd ask you to take them to the Issues forum or PM rather than continuing to randomly interject into issues between other posters.

I don't like LaPorta's odds at all and Gamel and Wallace are both the type of prospects that need their power to translate/improve to succeed. To be honest I'd be more surprised if all 3 were really good MLB players than if all 3 were backup type players. I imagine a random 2 of them end up above average but not great and one is a flop.

edit: I don't understand any "moderator" stuff that was said, as if I'm greater than the common man/woman of brewerfan.net.

We have a clear case of a moderator being treated differently than a regular member. A member said that if x happened, he would never post again. A moderator stepped in and said this would be enforced. We had a different case where a moderator said that if Gallardo pitched again last year, he would quit the board. This wasn't enforced by a moderator.

Wow, the whole point of this thread was to get posters opinions on this issue. Going on stats/scouting reports on these three players, it is clear that all three have the ability to hit at the major league level but all have defensive question marks.

With that said, I was actually just asking for other posters gut feelings on it. Personally, I don't see a difference between a gut feeling or a "sixth sense". Don't see why that poster was called out on it. It just shows that posters are natually biased toward current Brewers prospects over non-brewers or former brewers prospects.

I personally believe that Mat Gamel is overvalued on these forums. As a brewer fan, I hope I'm wrong.

I was just curious to see what other posters felt on the comparsions.

And for the record, my opinion is correct.

Archived