Brewer Fanatic

Who will have better MLB career?- Mat Gamel (Brewers), Matt LaPorta (Indians), or Brett Wallace (A's)

Pudster13

My vote is for Brett Wallace.

I think the Cardinals will regret trading him. He seems like the best pure hitter of the bunch.

Average wise Wallace will be the better hitter, slugging wise I will go with LaPorta, and OPS wise I will go with Gamel. Overall they are about all equal in talent with each being a different kind of a player.

My vote is for Brett Wallace.

I think the Cardinals will regret trading him. He seems like the best pure hitter of the bunch.

I think Wallace's value just took a huge spike. I haven't read Moneyball yet but from what I've heard, doesn't he seem like an Oakland type player? I honestly don't think he could stick at third base, and with Pujols in STL, he was bound to be traded to an AL team.

With Gamel's strides on defense, he's looking more and more like he could be a very legitimate top-tier 3B. If his defense continues to improve, he'll be an extremely valuable asset to the Brewers in the future (and really, should be now).

Since I also think Gamel will develop into a well-above-average defender at 3B, and have full faith he will routinely turn in an OBP-heavy OPS in the .850-.950 range in his prime, I vote Gamel.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I like Wallace a lot, though he hasn't hit as well this year as I thought he would. I'd probably go with him on bat alone, but if Gamel's average-ish defense was for real, he may have the edge. I think all 3 will probably be pretty good at times.

"Yeah, the fact that (I think) we offered LaPorta rather than Gamel for CC makes me think/hope Gamel will produce better than LaPorta"

We offered LaPorta because he was blocked by Fielder and we desperately needed to keep our only good left handed hitting prospect.

Gamel at least offered some versatility. LaPorta had the better bat, but he was unlikely to be able to move off of 1B and be effective.

there were talks of holes in Laporta's swing prior to the trade. I'm still not crazy about giving up a #7 pick and other talents for even a great rental, but I'm guessing they saw enough they didn't like.

Mark my words. Mat Gamel will be a third base equivalent of Billy Joe Robidouz/Joey Meyer minus the weight gain. Highly touted and won't do much in the majors.

Why, you ask? I'm sure many of you will state statistical marks about how this is impossible. This is just my feeling. I have a 6th sense for this type of thing and am very often correct.

Granted, I hope that I am wrong.

That said, I think LaPorta will end up a serviceable outfielder/DH for a good 8-10 year career. A Jason Michaels, if you will.

I do like Wallace, however, and think that he will end with a type of career similar to a Carney Lansford--very good but not great.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Your saying your sixth sense sees Gamel as the next Robideaux or Meyer? Im sorry but that is completely ridiculous. All you have to do is watch Gamel swing and you can see he is a natural. He will be a great hitter and I stand by that prediction.

We offered LaPorta because he was blocked by Fielder and we desperately needed to keep our only good left handed hitting prospect.

IIRC the Brewers wouldn't give up Gamel or Escobar...they chose to give up LaPorta in the trade.

pitchleague...sorry man, but that is kind of weak. You can't make posts with that kind of stuff and be taken at all serious...unless you have some super power...if you do please fill out a resume for the Brewers.

JJHardy7 wrote:

You can't make posts with that kind of stuff and be taken at all serious...unless you have some super power...if you do please fill out a resume for the Brewers.

Better yet, pick some lottery numbers for me.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

well, I guess we'll just see, won't we.

Robidoux had the sweetest swing too; was supposed to be the next Cecil Cooper for the team.

Gamel has a good swing but he hasn't shown me a good eye in his short MLB stint, as in he didn't adapt to the MLB pitchers. It looked to me like he assumed everything would be just as easy as it was in the minors. When he found that it wasn't, he pressed. He had some success, to be sure. But not enough, in my eyes, to warrant that top prospect billing.

Is he a good player? Sure as heck he is. But unless he makes some adjustments (and I'm hoping that he does) I just don't see it.

My opinion was asked in the lead post and I gave it. I didn't question anybody's else's thoughts.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Gamel's had an OBP 100 points higher than his batting average. His out of zone swing percentage is 22.1%, Fielder's is 22.8%.

Ranking them right now it would be Gamel, Wallace and then LaPorta. Gamel and Wallace will come down to if they stick at 3B, if they bith stick its likely Gamel, if only Wallace sticks its him. LaPorta is hitting fine in AAA but isn't having the season you'd hope for an All Star type 1B/DH considering he's 24. If he sticks in RF it changes things but he's been mostly playing 1B in AAA.

My opinion was asked in the lead post and I gave it. I didn't question anybody's else's thoughts.

The problem is you didn't use any logic whatsoever besides that you had a 6th sense at this stuff...how does that make sense? You tried to use some opinion in your last post, but that's not 100% accurate. It is an opinion though and you're obviously entitled to it. If you want to judge Gamel in his little time in Milwaukee, that's fine. I'd rather judge him on the minors at his numbers when he started at 3B...you could argue he was one of the better hitters on the team then (not that it'd be all that difficult right now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ).

What other player have you had this '6th sense' about since your good at it? Or does this goes beyond baseball? Just curious...

To the thread, I'll admit I don't know much about Wallace, but from the little I do I think he'll be a solid player, but I don't know how good. I can't compare him since I don't know as much, but I do think Gamel will be better than LaPorta. I thought that before the trade and still do. LaPorta is putting up some good numbers this year...I just think he'll have a difficult time adjusting to MLB pitching and I feel he's going to have to play 1B or DH. His defense is terrible in the outfield and lacks a lot of range. I think he'll be a below average 1B where I think Gamel could at least be average...I've been impressed with his strides this year I guess. Last year I was hoping he'd be below average and maybe stick at 3B.

I found this on mlbrumors:

"Meanwhile, a scout offered this about Brett Wallace: "He can hit but he throws like a girl. They acquired a DH - I think he might be Jack Cust Jr. with fewer Ks."

Wow. Thats nasty.

Archived