Brewer Fanatic

Trip to California and to the SD Zoo

jason21nl

Next week I'm going on Vacation to California to visit my uncle and to watch the Crew play in SD for a game then going to 3 games in LA. While in SD I'm looking at hitting up the SD Zoo. Since It's so big does anyone have any suggestions on what part of the zoo I should go to or what part of the zoo is a must see?

I have never been out that way, does anyone have any other suggestions for must do's while out there?

so far I got....

the zoo (just not sure what part of it)

4 brewers games

the beach

can't wait!

If you only have time for one I would recommend the Wild Animal Park which is pretty big in itself. I think we spent almost a full day there from whenever they opened to about 3 but its cool to see the animals with so much room. It's maybe 45 min. outside of San Diego but there are a few wineries on route for the trip home (if you like that type of thing).

Also LaJolla is pretty cool, the beach there has a couple hundred seals that sun themselves daily.

I've heard the wild animal park is better than the zoo. There's Sea World also.

LA:

- rent a car (convertibles are cheap during the week) and drive up PCH to Malibu and Santa Barbara. Stop at Paradise Cove in Malibu for lunch and/or a beverage.

- take same car and drive south around Palos Verdes to/towards Trump Golf Course. There is public parking just to the left of the clubhouse and trails where you can walk around and walk down to the ocean. Tyranea (sp?) is right next door and they have a new outdoor bar that is pretty cool. Plenty of places along that route to stop, picnic, and walk down to the ocean.

- hit the pier in Hermosa Beach - good people watching. Lunch upstairs at Hennessey's overlooking the ocean.

- Rodeo Drive is nice to walk around just to see the cars that go through there

- NOTE - NO TAILGATING AT DODGER STADIUM. You can eat food in the parking lot if you want to bring in something pre-made (subs, fast food, chips, etc), but no cooking or drinking alcohol

Was not that excited with the zoo (maybe because it has been hyped so much). It was nice, but very spread out and very expensive. Wild Animal park was better from local reviews (just did not have time for both).

Dodger Stadium might be the worst stadium I have been to, good luck.

Hit up the Wild Animal Park, it's way better. Other than that, don't know if there is a Wahoo's down that way, but if there is hit it up. The best Fish Taco's around. I think there is a couple in So Cal, the only one that I've been to is up by Huntington Beach I believe. I'd almost check around and see if there is any Surf Competitions around there. Those are pretty chill, When I went to the US Open Surf Championship it had a sweet concert after it ended. It's kind of hard to explain what they're like, but they're a good time. Those guy's do some pretty crazy stuff. Have a good time, Cali is awesome. I second the thought of Hennessey's for lunch in the LA area. Huntington Beach is pretty cool.

Didn't check out the Wild Animal Park but the San Diego Zoo was as much a garden as it was a zoo. Just grab a map and figure out what you want to see. You shuold be able to cover most of it over around 5 hours. I think the Polar Bear exhibit is very popular. The skylift (like at Summerfest) is amazing and takes you right there.

I did both the animal park and the zoo when I was out there and the animal park is probably a little better. Not sure of your budget but we did the safari tour through the exhibit on the trucks and it was incredible. Petting giraffes and feeding rhinos was amazing

Archived