Brewer Fanatic

Cardinals acquire Matt Holliday for 3B Brett Wallace, RHP Clayton Mortensen and OF Shane Peterson

trwi7

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well this is exactly what Billy Beane intended when he traded for Holliday.
Well, this certainly doesn't help our chances, though Holliday is having a down year.
Still not a bad season though. Holliday's numbers were always grossly inflated by Coors. Away from Coors his career OPS is .801. This year his road OPS is .788, not really much different.

It does seem a little unecessary to include Wallace in a deal for 2 months of Holliday.

This obviously would make the Cards a better team, pretty obvious that they are going for it this year in a mediocre division.

I just hope Melvin doesn't just try to match this trade and do something equally stupid like trade Escobar or Gamel for a 2 month rental.

fondybrewfan wrote:

I just hope Melvin doesn't just try to match this trade and do something equally stupid like trade Escobar or Gamel for a 2 month rental.

Exactly.

I think at this point we just go with the guys we have. Yeah, we probably won't make the playoffs, but realistically we're not going to be making the playoffs every year. Most of the bandwagon fans were spoiled by last year and think it's always going to be like that. Come back strong next year and make another run, and we keep our young guys to either replace traded guys or to use in a better deal next season.

There's no way Escobar or Gamel get traded for just a three month rental...let's give Melvin some credit. He would maybe do it for a pitcher under control through next season, but not for a rental like C.C. was.
I didn't say that I thought he would, I am just hoping he doesn't. If either one of those guys are traded the acquired player better also be here next year.

There's no way Escobar or Gamel get traded for just a three month rental...let's give Melvin some credit. He would maybe do it for a pitcher under control through next season, but not for a rental like C.C. was.

I was checking out the Cards forums regarding this trade and the general consensus is that this trade is horrible for the Cards. They then went on to say "The Cardinal front office is a joke. To give away a blue chip prospect and others...for Matt. Holliday. This is worse than the Brewers giving up LaPorta for 2 months of CC Sabathia." Oh Cards fans.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

This is worse than the Brewers giving up LaPorta for 2 months of CC Sabathia."

Can't argue with the logic, but if they want to tell me the CC trade was bad I would beg to differ.

I think that's what they are saying. The CC trade was a poor trade.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

This is worse than the Brewers giving up LaPorta for 2 months of CC Sabathia."

Can't argue with the logic, but if they want to tell me the CC trade was bad I would beg to differ.

Ya, technically he's right, it is worse. You know, comparatively. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm not completely sold on Wallace being a blue chip prospect. He is a decent prospect, but his offense and defense is not fantastic, just good.

Wallace will face the Braun problem of his defense at 3B. He's a great bat, with questionable defense, though better than Braun's. He'll lose some value if he can't stick it out at third. But, even if Wallace doesn't pan out, I'm almost more surprised they're putting both Wallace and Mortensen into the same package for a rental.

I think Holliday is/was just having a "down" year because he got off to a slow start and he was learning a new home park and new league.

Take out his April stats, then look at his numbers:

320 PA: .299/.393/.480 = .873 OPS

I would have loved to see Melvin trade them Corey Hart and something else, to put those numbers in RF and batting 2nd. I know Holliday has never played RF, but I'm sure he'd be able to.

Archived