Brewer Fanatic

Henry Louis Gates fracas

RU Rah Rah

I can't imagine they will let this topic stay here - probably better for the political forum.

BUT, since you asked:

It sounds like a situation where things just got out of control way too fast.

Should the president have commented on it? No. Do I agree with what he said? Yes.

Is the cop a racist? No. It sounds like he's a good guy and let himself get carried away/offended by a guy saying some mean things to him.

Did Gates deserve to have any of this happen to him? Absolutely not. The whole situation should have ended the second he produced his I.D. that showed he lived there. Even if he was saying unpleasant things to this officer, the officer should have, at that point, apologized for the misunderstanding and left the premises. This whole thing would have never made the press.

Could Gates have handled it better? Probably, but I know I'd have a few choice words too if a cop showed up at my house accusing me of breaking in.

If the guy presents his ID when the officer tells him there was report of a burglar then the thing is nothing. The cop got a report of a man using force to enter a front door of a house. He needs proof that the dude inside is the actual owner regardless of how ridiculous that may seem to Mr. Gates.

Archived