Brewer Fanatic

Scott Kazmir?

Rotoworld reporting that the Rays are in talks with the Angels about Trading Kazmir...so, throw another name in the pot...though i personally think this one is a serious stretch
I don't know, the Rays could be pretty motivated to move him...they have the pitching depth, and if he can't get back his velocity and his extreme strikeout rate or get his walk rate down into a more manageable territory, it's not out of the question that he might be totally broken. He's also about to start getting much more expensive. That contract could look awfully unmovable by this time next year if things don't improve, and maybe they don't think they're likely to get the good Scott Kazmir anymore this year in any event.

Thing is, they're one of the smart organizations. If these are the reasons they're moving him, do you really want to bet on them being wrong?

Kazmir is under contract for $20 million for 2010-2011 and has a $13.5 million team option with a $2.5 million buyout for 2012. He also gets an $800,000 trade bonus. I'd rather take a chance on him than sign another scrub like Suppan, but it would all depend on how much the Rays want for him. If they would take Tim Dillard or something, I'd go for it.

Kazmir would clearly be an improvement over what we have but I would stay away. He has a sizeable contract and has arm issues. He also walks way too many which doesnt allow him to throw enough innings. Too many warning signs in my opinion for us to take this gamble.

I would be completely stoked to get Kaz despite his struggles this season. No one doubts that the guy has some of the best stuff in the league. Hart for Kaz? One year ago, had this been mentioned on a message board, you would have thought the original poster would have been crazy.

This is a high-level talent that could be acquired at a virtual discount because of some of his struggles. Let's also remember, Kazmir is still super-young.

Actually, that's not unlikely at all. Having the benefit of living in Tampa, it's likely that the Rays are going to try to move both C.C. and Kaz, as they are trying to shed payroll. 620WDAE had about an hour segment dedicated this morning to whether the Rays should be buyers or sellers at this point and who should go. CC and Kaz both are going to have to be gone is the general consensus. It may be as soon as Wed. If the Rays are swept by the Yankees, they'll be 9.5 GB of the wild card despite being near 10 games over .500. That's a huge Kazmir contract, but I'd love to get C.C. for left field with Braun moving to right field. That's a lot of payroll to get back, even for 2009, but this is about 2010 now for me and those two guys would drastically improve this club. Carl Crawford settles the leadoff position and allows Weeks to finally get slid into a power spot. They have no use for Gamel with Longoria fully entrenched there. I'd say they'd probably want Escobar (replaces Bartlett), Lawrie (replaces Zobrist) , and one of our catchers (replacing Navvy).

Kazmir & Crawford for Escobar, Lawrie, Salome (can play a DH role as well), and A pitching prospect

Brewers in 2010

Crawford LF

Cain CF

Braun RF

Fielder 1B

Weeks 2B

Gamel 3B

Hardy SS

Free Agent Catcher

Gallardo/Kazmir/Bush/Suppan/Parra

Kazmir's contract is pretty reasonable. 8M in '10... 12M in '11..13.5M option in '12

Crawford is due to make 10M in 2010, and I'd argue he may be more valuable than Mike Cameron at the same salary.

It is adding payroll, but I think it makes the team significantly better.

How does adding a guy who has lost significant velocity on his fastball make the team better? Kazmir's fastball is averaging 2 mph less than what it was in 2007. That's scary on a guy whose owed $22m over the next 2 years. No way do I give up a bunch of top prospects to make that bet.

Ignoring important facts such as acquiring a player with a contract (Crawford) to replace a guy with no contract for 2010 (Cameron). Maybe lateral in terms of talent, but not lateral in terms of contract/player control. I expected a better discussion from you than simply speak of Kazmir's change in pitch speed. Contract is pretty close to Suppan, he's younger and controlled longer. I don't see the financial concern.

And he's pitched like Suppan this year. And he wasn't as good last year as he was before. You're basically pushing all in on Kazmir returning to his 2005-2007 form. Your taking on a large contract and giving up huge talent. Could you make a case for taking on Kazmir? Sure but it entails either taking on his risk of a contract or giving up talent to avoid that risk not taking on the contract and giving up top notch talent.

Just about every contract is a risk for the Brewers. To lessen the risk, I'd take any young Tampa pitcher and Crawford. It's not shedding as much payroll as they'd like, so it's doubtful they do that, but maybe James Shields. Would you feel better about taking on Shields and Crawford for say, Escobar/Hardy and Lawrie?

Of course I'd prefer shields, the risk is less and the upside is actually greater since he is controlled through 2014 (option years 2012-2014). But I doubt the Rays move him and he should cost more than Kazmir to get. I do think they'll move Crawford but at a price that likely overstates his value.

I would do a Shields and Crawford for Escobar/Hardy, and Lawrie trade in a heartbeat but I doubt Tampa would.

Local talk is that they have to lose the Crawford salary and therefore will have to take the best offer. Crawford though unfortunately only serves a 1 year fix, similiar to what Cameron has been doing if he is not resigned.

That's alright, Cain should be ready by 2011... and if the Brewers could somehow acquire the pitcher whom I've wanted all along in Shields I'd be absolutely thrilled.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived