Brewer Fanatic

What would it take to get Haren?

He would be a great addition at a good price over the next 4 years. We'd have to give a lot but he would keep us in world series talks next year and in the playoff race for the next four years. (Yo and him at the top of the rotation would be great). Also if we could sign Prince longterm we could go w/ the Prince + Braun + cost effective guys linup w/ Haren and YO. Just a thought....dont know if Dbacks will give him but i would offer whatever we are for Doc plus more for him.

I'm not good at projecting these things as I don't know the Arizona system and what they need. Supposedly it was asking too much of the Brewers for Doug Davis, so I'm guessing Dan Haren is a pipe dream. It would have been nice to get Dan Haren from Oakland, or any stud pitcher before they are a stud and get expensive....but as I've been told, decent foresight is an ridiculous expectation. How come our scouting people don't get any flak around here?

I'm not good at projecting these things as I don't know the Arizona system and what they need. Supposedly it was asking too much of the Brewers for Doug Davis, so I'm guessing Dan Haren is a pipe dream. It would have been nice to get Dan Haren from Oakland, or any stud pitcher before they are a stud and get expensive....but as I've been told, decent foresight is an ridiculous expectation. How come our scouting people don't get any flak around here?

Then you wouldn't have to worry about Gamel and Escobar because they'd already be gone. Haren did not come cheap.

Unfortunately any deal for Dan Haren would have to START with Ryan Braun....

There is no way Arizona moves Haren especially with question marks surrounding Brandon Webb...

Haren is signed for cheap for the next few years...

It would have been nice to get Dan Haren from Oakland, or any stud pitcher before they are a stud and get expensive....

The thing is, Haren WAS extremely expensive for Arizona. They gave up 6 prospects, all of whom have since either already contributed at the MLB level (Brett Anderson, Greg Smith, Dana Eveland, Aaron Cunningham), or remain highly regarded prospects in the high levels of the minors (Chris Carter), or remain highly regarded young players despite being rushed to the majors a bit too soon (Carlos Gonzalez, who was probably seen as the closest thing to an "A" prospect at the time of the deal).

That's right up there with the king's ransom Texas got for Teixeira as the two biggest prospect hauls anybody's gotten in a decade or so.

When it would have been nice to get Haren is when Oakland got him from St. Louis...all that cost Oakland was what would prove to be two very forgettable years of Mark Mulder's services. Not that you can really blame the Cards for thinking that they were getting a better pitcher than they wound up getting.

Such a stealer that Billy Beane. Problem is, he likely lost the return deal to ARZ.

I think that remains to be seen. He spent Gonzalez and Smith on a season of Holliday, and that gamble hasn't panned out because the A's are much lousier than he anticipated. He still might wind up with Brett Wallace from the Cards out of that, though.

Brett Anderson is already pretty good, and they'll have twice as many seasons of him as they would have had of Haren. Cunningham is probably just a 4th OF, but I like Chris Carter's chances to be a pretty decent 1B for them as soon as next year.

I guess that's the game. If you keep spinning and spinning and 18 years later you net a stud from the last line of spinning, did you win the trade? If Brett Wallace gets acquired and respun and 6 years later, that player gets respun for a pitcher who goes on to win 300 games over 20 years, did you win the trade? Especially so if you got Brett Wallace in addition for 6 years. It'll be interesting to see how Prince Fielder is handled when his arby is over. Will the Brewers just keep him or will his trade net the kind of return that could push this team over the top for all of the 10's if they scout the right parts?

Archived