Brewer Fanatic

(Update) Brewers DIDN'T offer Brady Clark for Clint Barmes

AJAY
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd much rather subsidize part of Clark's salary for one of their bullpen arms like Corpas, Ramirez, or maybe even Affeldt. I could see Jeff Baker making some sense, if Mench is moved. More sense than Barmes, anyway.

Quote:
This rumor doesn't have any underlying message to JJ Hardy's situation does it?

Yeah, JJ Hardy is better than some teams starting SS---even if you ignore his potential for getting better...

Hardy is 3 years younger, and better in EVERY aspect of his game than Barmes

Putting his age 26 rookie year in perspective, Clint's slightly above average .761 OPS translates into a below average 89 OPS+.

It looks like Barmes may have an option left. Maybe Doug's looking for AAA insurance? That might be enough motivation to deal Brady Clark.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

[ It looks like Barmes may have an option left. Maybe Doug's looking for AAA insurance? That might be enough motivation to deal Brady Clark. ]

Only after he got to Colorado Springs (a notoriously extreme hitters park) did he touch .300 as a professional. He had a .677 OPS in A-ball, a .760 OPS in AA, and finally a .798 OPS in AAA.

He smacks of nothing special, to me. I don't know if he's even worth of spending a 40-man roster spot on.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How does Coors rank as a hitter's park since they started using the humidor to store the baseballs? I thought they moved down the food chain a little bit in terms of HR's and SLG.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm scratching my head over this. You spend $6 million on Counsell and then ship off Clark who's more useful for another backup SS? I suppose it's better than just waiving Clark, assuming you can option Barmes to AAA, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Are they planning on keeping Mench now?

Edit: I could understand it more if it was part of a 3 way deal. Maybe including a team like the Royals. It doesn't seem to make much sense for the Brewers.

Robert

Oh man I would love to have Barmes here. Only for the reason that when me and some friends went to Colorado to see the crew we kept saying when we went out after the game we were going to make a Bar-Mess.

But seriously he is awful and I don't know why we would want him unless we are trying to clog up our infield as well as our outfield.

Barmes was pretty good as a rookie in '05, although his fielding stats were nothing too special... I gotta believe that the Brewers didn't offer Clark for Barmes straight up. There has gotta be more to it than that, if there is any truth whatsoever in any of it

This deal may have made sense a few weeks ago, but now with our wealth of mediocre middle infielders I don't see the point. My only hope is that he is a part of a larger deal.

Barmes would be a good buy low candidate. He's not all that young, but he was having a great rookie year before the unfortunate venison accident. Last year his numbers were bad, but he did hit lefties pretty well. If he can play center, he could platoon with Gross......but so could Brady Clark.

Quote:
But Counsell is old and could get hurt at any time. We can't be embarrassed again so we must get Barmes to make sure everything will be ok in case Hardy and Counsell get hurt.

Obviously Melvin is not set on the fact that Hardy and Weeks are healthy and ready to play, otherwise, he wouldn't be trying to trade and sign guys like this.

I'd agree that his was either something that was discussed prior to the signing of Counsell and the offer of arby to Graffy or is just a false report/rumor. The only other way this makes sense is if Melvin was just trying to dump Clark or have Barmes in AAA as insurance in case Hardy did get hurt.

Besides already having Counsell and Graffy, Melvin also did offer Cirillo a one year deal to come back. So there would have been no room for Barmes. Even without Cirillo, there still is no room for Barmes on the team. And of course, Hall can still be used as the 3rd Shortstop on the team if need be.

Okay, he's still young and may be able to develop however, the Brewers still have Perez at shortstop, who they signed from Cuba. They also have Escobar and Brewer below him.

So, other than a way to dumb Clark or simply as insurance in case Hardy gets hurt, in which case he would probably just be a back up to Counsell/Graffy, I don't see how this deal makes sense.

That's the best I can do in how this trade may be true, though I still think it's most likely false.

Edit: Good point about the Colorado-Houston deal. This makes me think even more that this was either an old rumor or just a false one.

If Counsell was not signed or the team thought Hardy can't make it back before a while into the season, and the team had absolutely decided that Hall would never leave the outfield, Barmes could be a mediocre pickup as a young utility guy/project. As the roster stands, I'll take my chances on picking up a garbageman in the RARE event that both Hardy and Counsell go down AND Hall isn't moved back to fill in.

Archived