Brewer Fanatic

Mark Buehrle throws perfect game vs. Rays

lcbj68c

There have only been 16 perfect games since 1900, and only 18 perfectos since 1876 in 388,364 games played, so 18 out of 776,728 starts have resulted perfect games (0.00002%). I think they are pretty cool because they are so rare. They are a part of history, when I saw McGwire hit his 65 HR in 1998 I thought that was really cool even though I wanted the Brewers to win.

If I was at a Brewer game and the other pitcher had a perfecto going late in the game I would want him to get it. A no-hitter no, I would want the brewers to get a hit, but saying I was at a perfect game would be pretty cool I think.

Watching it happen to my team is one thing, I left the Chris Young game last year because I couldn't bear watching it. But aside from that, I think it's amazing.

Heck, I was at the game when A-Rod hit the walk-off grand slam, the first weekend of the season two seasons ago, and I was just as jubilant as everyone else, despite my disdain for the Yankees. In my opinion, these are the moments you watch sports for, these spectacular moments, regardless of if they're your team or not. Those moments are reward for putting so much into it.

They are a part of history, when I saw McGwire hit his 65 HR in 1998 I thought that was really cool even though I wanted the Brewers to win.

Don't forget the 66th that got taken away. Stupid Bob Davidson

Community Moderator
Definitely the best no-hitter saving catch of all time. As for being great by itself, I'm not that impressed. There have been at least 10-15 home run robbing catches in the last month. The other day there were 2 great ones.

It's Buerhle by the way...a free agent prior to the 2008 season.

I'm not sure if this is just another part of your frustration with Melvin or not, but Mark Buerhle was never a FA. He signed an extension with CWS in 2007 (7/8/07).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I must be alone in hating to see major accomplishments, special feats, or broken records like this UNLESS it's my own team. I'd root against anyone pitching a no-hitter or perfect game unless it was a Brewers pitcher -- all this does is make the accomplishment less special and make it worse that the team I pull for isn't accomplishing it. It lessens the value of every no hitter or perfect game before it while at the same time making it seem like the Brewers are pathetic for having only one measly no hitter in 40 years.

My day is literally worse from hearing this news.

I'm just the opposite when it comes to no-hitters and perfect games. I'm almost always pulling for the guy. (If it were a meaningful game against the Brewers, I might think differently, though.)

Meant to say potential free agent. I remember how coveted he was going to be near the deadline and the White Sox promptly signed him to an extension. Great foresight on their part. Nothing to do with DM.

It's Buerhle by the way...a free agent prior to the 2008 season.

I'm not sure if this is just another part of your frustration with Melvin or not, but Mark Buerhle was never a FA. He signed an extension with CWS in 2007 (7/8/07).

Actually there is a Melvin connection here but the rumored trade was never going to go down. If I remember correctly before Buerhle signed the extension with the White Sox it was rumored that he was going to be traded to Milwaukee at least that was the rumored destination of where Buerhle was going to be traded to. So there is a Melvin connection but it is faint and was not really a possibility.

Definitely the best no-hitter saving catch of all time.
I turned it on just in time to see it. I got to work and someone told me what was going on, in the 7th. I got to a computer and went to mlb.com and they had a free live feed so I opened it up and started working, or trying to look like I was working. I forgot about the video for a minute then once I remembered I opened the video just in time for that AB, it happened on like the 2nd or 3rd pitch I saw.

it's his 2nd no-hitter, I believe. Didn't he have one just a couple of years ago? 2007 maybe?

Yes (as stated above) It was against Texas in 2007 - and in that game he also faced only 27 batters. He walked Sammy Sosa and promptly picked him off.

1 other time he pitched a two-hitter with no walks and the team turned 2 double plays. So 3 times in his career Mark Buhrle has faced the minimum 27 batters.

Sox TV guys makes me glad I don't have to listen to them regularly...but tip of the cap to Buehrle anyway.
I'm just the opposite, I love Hawk. When I got home last night I went over to MLB.com to catch the highlights and hoped it would be the Sox TV call. Hawk is the homer of all homers, that's alright by me and as much as I hate to admit anything good ever came out of the Cubs, I think Steve Stone is one of the best color analysts in the game.

Congrats to Buehrle.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I somewhat became a sox fan once Podsednik was traded there a few years back and was rooting for Buehrle once I heard he was going for the perfect game. Anytime you can rob a HR its a great catch but under the circumstances that might be one of the best catches ever.

I'm a guy that likes to see no hitters and cycles in baseball. Every time a player is close to either I root for them. I also like seeing walk offs because I love the players reaction after the accomplishment. I like seeing athletes celebrate like they are little kids again.

My brother the Sox fan picked this for his first game to see this year. He said it brought him to tears. Does bring to mind being in high school after Braves had left and before Brewers arrived, and I was in my A's fan days listening to crackling radio from WCCO of Catfish Hunter's perfect game against Twins. As I recall Catfish broke up a 0-0 tie with an RBI single.

Definitely the best no-hitter saving catch of all time. As for being great by itself, I'm not that impressed. There have been at least 10-15 home run robbing catches in the last month. The other day there were 2 great ones.

Hmm... maybe we were watching two different plays then. The play I saw was a centerfielder covering about 150 feet of outfield, a short stutter step before running into the wall, bringing the home run back, then losing it on the way down and catching it with his barehand AS HE FELL to the ground.

This wasn't your once a week robbery that we usually see.

I'm just the opposite, I love Hawk. When I got home last night I went over to MLB.com to catch the highlights and hoped it would be the Sox TV call. Hawk is the homer of all homers, that's alright by me and as much as I hate to admit anything good ever came out of the Cubs, I think Steve Stone is one of the best color analysts in the game.

I have to, begrudgingly, agree 100% with burniebrewer's points here. And I can speak from experience when I say that ChiSox fans love Hawk precisely because he's such an unapologetic homer. He really does grow on you after a while... I used to think of him as one of the worst announcers in the league, but once you basically accept that it's just 'Hawk bein' Hawk', he really is enjoyable to hear call a game. His call on that Wise robbery was just vintage Hawk.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

once you basically accept that it's just 'Hawk bein' Hawk', he really is enjoyable to hear call a game. His call on that Wise robbery was just vintage Hawk.
I'll admit, the S.O. and I (we're off work this week) watched the catch live and were shouting along with Hawk.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived