Brewer Fanatic

How about Hall+prospect for Rolen?

It barely saves them any money this year and only saves them $2.1 million next year when you take into account his buyout. Unless the prospect is Gamel, Escobar or Lawrie, they wouldn't be interested at all.

Do we really need Rolen at this point? Maybe if Gamel is going to get traded it makes sense, or McGehee has to go on the DL or something...otherwise I don't see the point.
The point is ridding ourselves of the black hole that is Bill Hall.

End is correct, why do you need a utility INF that can hit? If a utility INF can hit, they aren't a utility INF anymore. Hall hits LHP and plays good defense. He can hit a double or HR off the bench. He's far overpaid for what he is, but to think other teams have quality in this roster spot is odd...take a gander at the Twins and Royals infield reserves sometime.

What is Hall doing? Taking away a spot from Hernan Iribarren?
Are you implying that Hall's roster spot has no value? In my opinion he's taking away a roster spot from hundreds, maybe even thousands of players. Maybe he's taking away a roster spot from you. I don't know how good of a hitter you are. Could you bat above .200?

End is correct, why do you need a utility INF that can hit? If a utility INF can hit, they aren't a utility INF anymore. Hall hits LHP and plays good defense. He can hit a double or HR off the bench. He's far overpaid for what he is, but to think other teams have quality in this roster spot is odd...take a gander at the Twins and Royals infield reserves sometime.
You're right. Silly me. Why try to improve the team?

Having Rolen playing third and batting behind Fielder would improve the team. Having McGehee and Counsell off the bench instead of starting would improve the team.

But the only way the Jays would be interested in Hall is if we agreed to pay at least 80% of the remaining salary on his contract and give up a Matt Gamel or Brett Lawrie with him. Otherwise someone else will be willing to pay a top prospect or maybe even two for him. It really amazes me why so many on this board think other teams will take what we either don't want or 2nd or 3rd tier prospects with low ceilings for players who are in demand around the league. I would suggest Rolen is in demand given his current stats. It's up to the Jays to decide whether they want to move him or not. JP is going to be fired this off season no matter what. The public has demanded it and if the Jays want to sell any tickets next year they will fire him. So given the circumstances I'm not sure what JP will do. I still think there will be a firesale there in the last couple of days before the deadline.

Having McGehee on the bench is a mistake. Yes it might improve the bench marginally, but it downgrades significantly McGehee's value in the market at a time when it is just being built up. Who knows what's going to happen to this roster for next year. The Brewers benefit greatly from getting a better read on McGehee by giving him as many AB's as possible this year. They also increase his trade value by playing him should they decide to go that route. Remember we're talking about a guy claimed off waivers less than a year ago who's not yet arby eligible. Plus it doesn't appear to be an upgrade with Rolen in the lineup replacing McGehee.

Hall may have struggled greatly at the plate, but he plays even more positions than McGehee so he's still a good 25th man to have, albeit an expensive one. Plus to his credit, Hall hasn't been griping about his plight in public this year.

But the only way the Jays would be interested in Hall is if we agreed to pay at least 80% of the remaining salary on his contract and give up a Matt Gamel or Brett Lawrie with him. Otherwise someone else will be willing to pay a top prospect or maybe even two for him. It really amazes me why so many on this board think other teams will take what we either don't want or 2nd or 3rd tier prospects with low ceilings for players who are in demand around the league. I would suggest Rolen is in demand given his current stats. It's up to the Jays to decide whether they want to move him or not. JP is going to be fired this off season no matter what. The public has demanded it and if the Jays want to sell any tickets next year they will fire him. So given the circumstances I'm not sure what JP will do. I still think there will be a firesale there in the last couple of days before the deadline.
Nobody in this thread said anything about 2nd or 3rd tier prospects for him.

Archived