Brewer Fanatic

How about Hart for Dunn?

Since ESPN is reporting that the Nationals are looking to trade him now...

This move simply makes sense to me. The Nationals have no reason to keep him, none. He's not in their long-term plans, they're just paying him $10M a year to fill an outfield spot.

We get to make a major move without even really having to make a major move. Swap them Hart and throw in a mid-ceiling pitching prospect like Butler, and I think you've got a done deal. Dunn gives us a Prince-like power bat and OBP to add to the meat of the order. We're talking about a .200+ OPS upgrade from Hart.

Washington gets a possible #4-#5 starter at some point in the future, and gets younger and much cheaper in RF.

Dunn is not going to be a picture of perfection as a defensive RF, but we're really not losing a ton there replacing Hart.

This gives us an option for a replacement for Prince at 1st if we were to trade Prince and re-sign Dunn after 2010. Next year, it gives us an absolute murderers row in the heart of the order with Dunn-Braun-Prince that would give us a chance to win the game with the bats any given day.

This option appears to be there, it seems like a good way for us to get better in a hurry and for next year without giving up much, and to be honest I'm quite surprised that the front office doesn't seem to be entertaining it.

I'm no expert on measures of defensive ability, but I have a hard time believing that a right fielder's defense could be bad enough to nullify the value of a perennial 40 HR 100 RBI .400 OBP guy. Not that RF defense is unimportant, but it isn't as crucial as a position like SS or C. I'd say a good 90-95% of plays involving a right fielder could be made by any RF'er or replacement. It's the other 5-10% of play where range comes into play, and having a centerfielder like Cameron is definitely a help.

Maybe he'd make more sense as a first baseman if Prince was dealt. I don't think we'd be losing any defense with Dunn over Prince at 1st.

I've been an advocate of getting Dunn, maybe more than some. Put him in LF and switch Braun to RF, seems to make sense. I just look at having Braun/Fielder/Dunn in the heart of the lineup, and have to think most other teams' pitching would be terrified of that. That contract the Nats signed him to is a steal, too.

The problem is the Brewers would probably still have to dump salary somewhere else to get him, and I don't know where that would happen at this juncture in the season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm no expert on measures of defensive ability, but I have a hard time believing that a right fielder's defense could be bad enough to nullify the value of a perennial 40 HR 100 RBI .400 OBP guy. Not that RF defense is unimportant, but it isn't as crucial as a position like SS or C. I'd say a good 90-95% of plays involving a right fielder could be made by any RF'er or replacement. It's the other 5-10% of play where range comes into play, and having a centerfielder like Cameron is definitely a help.

Maybe he'd make more sense as a first baseman if Prince was dealt. I don't think we'd be losing any defense with Dunn over Prince at 1st.

Here's Dunn's UZR/150 for LF for the 2007-2009: -21.1-, -20.0, -30.8. Now figure RF is about 5-10 runs more difficult. Dunn is just that bad.

Dunn truly is that bad. He's a great DH, but there's no reason for NL teams to acquire him. I don't understand why an NL team signed him this year as much as I don't understand why no AL team didn't.

I know that he is absolutely terrible in the field, but I still have a hard time believing that it would negate the increase in offensive production. He has an OBP that is 70 points higher than Hart and he's nearly 200 points higher in OPS. And then you have to take into account that he would give Prince some solid protection. You can't be as careful to Fielder if you got Dunn right behind him. Going Bruan-Fielder-Dunn would be awesome.

I really like this idea.

Invader, why would the Brewers have to dump salary? Attendance has seen a huge spike, Dunn is only owed roughly $3-4 million this year (Hart owed roughly 1 million)...not a big difference. I would think that we could get Dunn for Hart, and they'd probably throw in cash. At the same time, Hart is heating up and if he finishes the year at .280 with 20 homers, that'd be a promising rebound entering next year

I love this idea too. But I would bat Hardy between Prince and Dunn. Not just because of the rh lh rh lh lineup. But because JJ would see a strict diet of fastballs.

YES! I love this idea. Not because I'm in a hurry to trade Hart, but because I think JJ would really thrive, get his numbers up, and make him great trade bait in the off season.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

On a team with pitching problems, and a team with pitchers that rely heavily on there defense, we need to have the best defense possible. I'd pass. If we wanted Dunn, we should have signed him in the offseason, and moved Braun to RF, and traded Hart for pitching. We knew Hart to Dunn was a lateral mave in the offseason, but at least then we could have gotten a pitcher.

I'm sure we could have gotten Edwin Jackson for Hart in the offseason, but I don't think any of us realized that Jackson was about to breakout. In hindsight, that deal would have completely changed our team.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Dunn is only owed roughly $3-4 million this year (Hart owed roughly 1 million)...not a big difference. I would think that we could get Dunn for Hart, and they'd probably throw in cash. At the same time, Hart is heating up and if he finishes the year at .280 with 20 homers, that'd be a promising rebound entering next year

Yeah, I guess I wasn't looking at it that way. My guess is a team like St. Louis or someone else that really needs offense will probably pony up more for Dunn than whatever the Brewers would theoretically be willing to do.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

We get to make a major move without even really having to make a major move. Swap them Hart and throw in a mid-ceiling pitching prospect like Butler, and I think you've got a done deal.

I don't think we would have to throw in anything to get Dunn for Hart. I see this as a pretty even swap.

Dunn only signed a one year deal, right? Would he be a class B and sandwich pick free agent? I don't see any problems with Braun going to RF midyear.

Hart is cheaper even after the 2nd and 3rd year of arbitration and would be under Washington's control through 2011.

Assuming the Brewers won't resign Dunn, then the Brewers are searching for an OF during the offseason. I'm on board for the trade, but do realize that we may end up overpaying for an OF during the offseason. I'm not one of those that is saying to move Gamel to OF, but this scenario would be perfect for that.

Dunn is great, but I wouldn't do it. First off, if it's a salary dump the Nats want, then Dunn could be had for less than an established major league starter. Two middling prospects would probably do the trick, someone like Iribarren and a low level A baller.

The only place to hide Dunn in the NL is a 1B. So if he's to be the Brewers 1B in 2010, then OK. But they'll be paying him more than what Prince is going to make.

X, Jackson has been the key to my fantasy baseball success this year. After seeing him throwing 99 mph down the stretch last year, I was convinced he'd be a starter this year since his arm had finally fully rebounded. He, Branyan, and Bedard have helped me go from terrible to solid--not bad considering they were my late round pick sleepers

I don't think we'd be losing any defense with Dunn over Prince at 1st.

Yes, we would definitely be losing defense at 1st. Prince has made huge strides with the glove this year.

Archived