Brewer Fanatic

expectations for 2010 of your Milwaukee Brewers

BREWCREW5
The only reason I don't see Hart being traded is because then there are two OF spots to fill. I think Hart is a Brewer for one more season.

I think it's a virtual certainty that either McGehee or Gamel will be in LF on opening day next year with the other guy at 3B and if they can re-sign Lopez that means Rickie Weeks stands a good chance to be in CF (I see them sending Rickie to winter ball to play CF). Now that Adam Heether is playing LF in Nashville, he'll get an opportunity to backup. Hall will also be a candidate to at least platoon in CF.

That also means Ryan Braun will indeed be in RF.

The interesting question is catcher. I hope they get a lefty swinging veteran to platoon with either Salome, Lucroy or Rivera. Maybe that guy will be included in a deal that involves Hart or Hardy.

Hart and Hardy will be dealt either together or separately.

SS Escobar

CF Weeks

LF Braun

1B Fielder

RF Gamel

C McGehee

2B Lopez

3B Heether

This lineup would cost about 30-35M (plus 8.4 for Hall). Maybe it would allow them to sign a SP.

Hardy and Hart and a prospect for a #2 or #3 SP.

Try some low level pitching talent as relievers (Braddock, Wooten, or Rogers)

Consider being sellers now for starting pitching next year (Hoffman, Cameron, Kendall)

I think it's a virtual certainty that either McGehee or Gamel will be in LF on opening day next year with the other guy at 3B and if they can re-sign Lopez that means Rickie Weeks stands a good chance to be in CF (I see them sending Rickie to winter ball to play CF). Now that Adam Heether is playing LF in Nashville, he'll get an opportunity to backup. Hall will also be a candidate to at least platoon in CF.

A virtual certainty? Neither McGehee or Gamel has played a game in the OF in their professional careers. Neither has Weeks for that matter, and he seemed to be making great strides at 2B this year. Not that I put much into this, but Melvin did say earlier this year that they will not be changing player's positions in the majors anymore.

SS Escobar

CF Weeks

LF Braun

1B Fielder

RF Gamel

C McGehee

2B Lopez

3B Heether

Why do so many want Rickie in CF? I'm also going to guess McGehee's defense is bad at catcher or else he would've stuck there and most likely not been released by the Cubs. That lineup would be really bad on defense. It'd be much easier to keep Gamel at 3B and find a corner OF.

Infield: Prince, Weeks, Escobar, Gamel, Counsell, McGehee

OF: Braun, Hart, Gerut, Cat, some low rent veteran guy

C: Kendall, Salome

Rotation: Yo, Parra, Bush, Suppan, Looper

Bullpen: same rough mix of fellows

The only players that I am fairly certain will be gone next year are Hoffman, Looper, Hardy, and Kendall. After that who the heck knows. I think Cam will be brought back because Cain just isn't going eb ready considering he missed so much time this year.

The offseason after 2010 is going to be the one that makes or breaks the Brewers for the foreseeable future. Some big salaries will be gone (Hall & Suppan), Fielder will only have 1 year left before FA and could possibly get traded, Gallardo & Parra are fully entrenched in arby, and a lot of our pitching prospects are expected to produce for 2011 (Rogers, Braddock, Jeffress, Arnett, Peralta, etc). We are also going to be banking on Escobar, Gamel, Salome/LuCroy, Cain, and Green being major factors in the big leagues. In short there are a lot of huge questions marks facing this team the next 2 years.

SS Escobar

CF Weeks

LF Braun

1B Fielder

RF Gamel

C McGehee

2B Lopez

3B Heether

This lineup would cost about 30-35M (plus 8.4 for Hall). Maybe it would allow them to sign a SP.

That lineup looks worse that the one we have out there now.

Melvin is a top 5 GM. We are lucky to have him, imo.

How do you figure this? I think he's fine, but there is no way he's that good. What's his signature move?

His signature move is taking over a team that had just went 56-106, hadn't finished above .500 in a decade and turned them into a perennial playoff contender within five years. Before that he took over a Texas team that had never made the playoffs in their history and took them there three times, winning 90 and 95 games in two of the seasons.

I don't think Melvin is perfect, but the guy has a fairly large track record at running successful baseball teams. Whether he's top 5 or top 10 or whatever is irrelevant. What matters is that he's a very good GM and there are a TON of people out there not only doing a worse job right now, but have done a worse job in the past.

Theres no point in firing DM now that Jack Z is gone. Jack Z should be our GM, not Melvin. Jack Z is solely responsible for our success

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Theres no point in firing DM now that Jack Z is gone. Jack Z should be our GM, not Melvin. Jack Z is solely responsible for our success

As has been stated in other threads, he is also responsible for our lack of minor league pitching depth.

The one great pitching success was the pitcher Jack Z didn't want.

That went over my head, can I get an explanation.?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

As long as Melvin is doing the hiring of managers we are going to get just another "baseball guy" every time. We are going to switch poor bullpen management for a guy who can't handle a bench. We are going to go through several guys who manage with their guts.

Take last year's manager candidates for example. Brenley, Randolph and Macha. None were very appealing in my mind, but Macha was by far the least objectionable. They were trying to find a "baseball guy" or somebody with experience.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A virtual certainty? Neither McGehee or Gamel has played a game in the OF in their professional careers. Neither has Weeks for that matter, and he seemed to be making great strides at 2B this year. Not that I put much into this, but Melvin did say earlier this year that they will not be changing player's positions in the majors anymore.

Almost any guy with the skill to play multiple infield positions can handle LF with 15-20 games to get acclimated (spring training). I don't recall Melvin making a blanket statement like that and why would he? Braun to LF has worked out. As for Weeks, Haudricourt has been bringing up that possibility lately and usually that means it's been discussed.

Archived