Brewer Fanatic

Low Point of the Season

chuckcrim
Is anyone else in agreement that this is the low point of the season thus far? That's a game we need to win. Now we have the Braves coming into town with Vazquez, Hanson and Lowe. We could be under .500 come next week Monday. I'm under the belief that a trade for a starting pitcher (Lee or Halladay) is what this team needs to get the fire back in their belly.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's time to play for next season. They still have a slim chance this year, but I'd rather trade for guys who will help next year than mortgage the future in an attempt to make the playoffs this year. They left it too late to make trading for a pitcher that big of an improvement, unless maybe if it's Halladay, in which case they'd have to give up a ton.

This team needs more than Halladay or any other starting pitcher. This team needs Hardy to wake up at the plate Kendall is about to pass Hardy in production at the plate. Hardly needs to wake up and wake up soon. I hope Macha benches Hardly for the next series to give him a "mental" break.

They're toast. I really hope these Halladay rumors don't pan out. Why give up the farm for a prayer?

Halladay will not make Hart and Hardy consistent hitters. Halladay can't make contact in the freaking ninth inning with a runner on third and one out. They're a very mediocre baseball team, plain and simple.

This is definitely the low point, until they get swept by the Braves.

They are three games out and have the most runs scored in the division. I'm not sure why you are ready to pack it in.
Because I don't think getting a guy like Washburn or Bedard or Lee will be enough to turn the season around and I'd rather conserve the assets in order to make a run next year. Maybe trade JJ, Cameron, and Hoffman (and perhaps try to attach Suppan, if at all possible) if there are any worthwhile offers out there. Halladay might be enough to help, but I doubt he would waive his NTC to come to Milwaukee, and even if he did, the price would probably be prohibitively high for a team like Milwaukee. I don't think the Brewers can be the team that makes the big move 2 years in a row without seriously damaging their ability to compete in the future.

Today's loss pushed me more toward the "stand pat and hope for the best" crowd. This was a game they should have won today and they just couldn't get it done. I know you can't measure a team by one win or loss, but it's been a consistent pattern of this team over the last several weeks. They haven't had back to back wins since June 29th and 30th. They just don't look like a playoff team right now, and if they can't reel off some wins really quick, I doubt Doug Melvin is going to be motivated to make any trades.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hardly

Are we really gonna do this?

Anyway, FWIW, I don't think they're "toast," necessarily; in this division, I still think they have a chance. The Lopez deal makes me think Doug thinks the same.

But I do think they shouldn't give up a ton for a guy they'd control only through the end of the year. It's a crapshoot right now I think, despite being relatively high on the team still. And trades aside, just one of Hardy or Hart or even Hall finding some stroke would be a huge improvement.

Now, if they can get a stud they control through the end of 2010, I do think it's worth their while to strongly consider it if there's a feasible deal while we have Prince and Braun and Yo all here.

The season's been declared "over" so many times already this year that it's hard for me to get too worked up about a 3-4 road trip. For me, the sweep in Minnesota was tougher to take, as was the Colorado/White Sox homestand and the 4th of July series loss to the Cubs.

It looks like the bats are finally starting to heat up a little bit, but Suppan and McClung let the offense down a bit today. Yeah, the Braves are bringing some tough pitching to town, but the Brewers knocked Hanson around the last time they saw him (albeit in an eventual loss) and beat Vazquez and Jurrjens (who's arguably better than Lowe). It's frustrating to see the team tread water, but since no one seems interested in winning this division, I'll keep watching with the belief that this is a team still in contention for a playoff spot.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Does anyone really think that anyones going to run away with this division? The Cubs, Brewers, and Cardinals all seem equally sub par at this point. Whose to say that the Astros arent going to swoop in and take it. They have the offense, and they're one solid starter away from a very good rotation.

I'm certainly discouraged, but I know the Cardinals and Cubs boards mostly like to think their season is over too. Everyone can't throw in the towel. I haven't checked out any Astros forums, maybe they think they'll take it.

As for low point, sure to this point of the season, though, I'm also reserving the official low-point of the season term in case we embarrass ourselves against the Nationals.

I can't advocate mortgaging so much on Halladay, but I wouldn't mind seeing what it was take to get Lee. That at least goes a long way to helping us out next season if nothing else.

Trading for Cliff Lee or Halladay would be playing for next season. Whether the Brewers trade for a starting pitcher now or during the offseason doesn't make much difference, since they will almost certainly have to do it in order to have a better rotation next year. Melvin needs to weigh the price for one of those pitchers with what is expected to be available in the offseason. He may determine that the price for getting one of those guys now, along with the certainty of getting them for next season, is worthwhile. If not then he'll wait until the offseason and try to find a trade partner.

If they're not going to get Halladay or Lee--and I can see the pros and cons of both sides of those debates--I think the only deal they should make is for another reliever. I think that plus a stronger section half from Hardy and/or Hart would likely provide a push that could keep them in it for the stretch.

Trading for Cliff Lee or Halladay would be playing for next season.

Halladay would be allowed to demand a trade after this season. He is allowed to do that and if he has reservations about coming to Milwaukee chances are he will in fact do just that.

I personally want nothing to do with a guy like Halladay unless the offer is just too good to pass. This division race is far from over and with the team we have now we could do it. I would like to see the Brewers switch things up a bit (ie call up Cody) in order to get some new life on this team and move forward. The Brewers really, really need Bush to be healthy and back to his old self ASAP.

it's not like Melvin is just sitting on his hands. I'm sure he has been trying to get starting pitching, but so many teams are reluctant to give up on their season this year and/or are asking for the mother load of prospects. Thus, there's not much activity. And not just in Milwaukee, either. I would have thought Halladay would have been gone by now as other teams have much more to give them than the Brewers. But teams are very hesitant to give up the farm for him. Not to mention that there just aren't many impact starting pitchers out there that teams are looking to deal.

On topic, the low point of the season for me will be when/if the Brewers are eliminated from contention/the playoffs. We're 2 1/2 games out in a mediocre division. One medium length (5-7 games) win streak puts them right back in first (or so). I'm not throwing in towels or even considering doing the laundry. There's still 2 months of games left.

Cheer up! We used to go 1-2 (or worse) in Pittsburgh with regularity just a few seasons ago. Life goes on. I think the Brewers will be fine.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Halladay would be allowed to demand a trade after this season. He is allowed to do that and if he has reservations about coming to Milwaukee chances are he will in fact do just that.

What in the world would makes you think that "chances are" he'd demand a trade after the season? He's never indicated at all that he would do that if traded. It's possible, but it's way more unlikely than likely. On top of that, I'm sure that Melvin and Co. would find out from him or his agent how likely that scenario would be before trading for him. Again, the reason why Melvin is looking at guys like Lee and Halladay is as much for next season than this season. If he doesn't think that Halladay will stick around then he's not going to trade for him.

Everybody knows what the offense can do. It's just inconsistent. The pitching, both bullpen AND rotation needs help. The rotation is comprised of Gallardo, and then 4 guys who have ERA's above 4. A team cannot enter the playoffs with Looper, Bush, Suppan, Burns, and Parra.

McClung is in a funk, and Villy has been inconsistent this year, too. Otherwise, Stetter, DiFelice, Coffey, and Hoffman have been very pleasant to watch.

The 3 H's (Hall, Hart, Hardy) have unperformed this season. Cameron was looking great, but then tailed off. Weeks' injury was a major buzzkill. McGehee stepped up huge, and looks like he belongs on the team. Lopez has looked good in the 2 games he's played with the Crew, and was MUCH needed for the lineup. Counsell has done his part as veteran UTIL infielder. The bench needs a huge upgrade, as well. Gerut has done absolutely nothing since the trade. Rivera plays once every blue moon. The Cat has been decent, but nothing worth being excited over.

I don't like hearing all the negativity about how "we need to be sellers because this team just isn't good enough." I agree the team isn't playing good right now, but what's saying we can't have another month like May? If we can make another huge trade before the deadline, or even a couple of smaller trades, either way they should improve the team somehow. We need guys in the rotation, the bullpen, and for the bench. If we have to spend or take on a little extra money to get these spots filled, then so be it. All I know is people don't want to be paying to see an average team in September while the Cubs or Cardinals are fighting over the division.

No towel-hurling here, but concern, in part because there are so many teams out there basically competing for 2 playoff spots. (For the sake of argument, I will concede the NL East to the Phillies and the West to the Dodgers.) At the moment, you have the Braves, Marlins, Cards, Cubs, Astros, Rockies, Giants, and Brewers all in contention for some kind of postseason berth. Will some of those other teams fade/implode? Sure. But not all of them.

another thing, thanks to Ru Rah Rah, came to mind: this is the same as the 2005-2007 season, as the Brewers are one of many teams in the hunt for 1 or 2 playoff spots. The only difference is that in years past, Milwaukee was at the bottom of the list and had to climb over 7-8 teams. This year, they're near the top and only need to climb over 1-2 teams. (okay, maybe not right this minute. But it's the concept.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived