Brewer Fanatic

escobar or gamel??

with the trade deadline coming up fast and all the talk of halladay being traded and stuff like this (from mlbtraderumors.com)

Jon Heyman of SI.com says the Brewers appear to be a threat to acquire Halladay. He's hearing Manny Parra's name and suspects Mat Gamel or Alcides Escobar would have to be involved, too.

popping up everywhere, who do you think should be the one to go- gamel or escobar?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you trade Escobar, you are looking at paying a ton for Hardy (probably 8-12 per) for production you might not get. If you trade Gamel, you get McGehee cheap for five years and have a potential "somewhat stud" in Taylor Green on his way in 2011. As much as I love the bat that Gamel would present, we simply can't pay JJ that much. I guess the bottom line is, you don't trade either when we are one of four teams that could finish fourth place very easily in our own division.

I really don't see us trading either one, and I don't think we should. We need them to start next year - both of them. You can't count on McGehee to continue this level of play and you can't count on him to be healthy. He probably works best as next year's Craig Counsell.... although I wouldn't mind Counsell AND him splitting that role next year.

I think they will both start next year and we'll trade Hardy and other prospects in the offseason for pitching. Hopefully we can get a decent #2 or #3 with the right package.

This is eerilly like last year when Melvin would not trade LaPorta/Gamel/Escobar in a CC trade and then gave in. Please don't do that for this year's underachieving team.
Agreed, except that LaPorta clearly was one that could have moved all along. I took that stuff from Melvin on LaPorta just like the "I'm not motivated to move [Overbay]" line.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If you trade Escobar, you are looking at paying a ton for Hardy (probably 8-12 per) for production you might not get. .

No you don't. There are lots of average shortstops available. Yes they'll cost more than Escobar but they give you the same value near term.

Doug, please keep both Escobar and Gamel! I like that move much better, like someone said this team in not only one good pitcher away from the playoffs they might be two strong pitchers away if Bush does not come back strong. I would much rather just sit this trade season out and look at 2010. I don't think that this division is that strong where one team is really going to run away with it that much. We might even if we don't make a blockbuster trade still find a way to squeak in.

One a side note can someone please answer this question for me. I am in a minor argument with a friend he says that 1) JJ can not play third and 2) Gamel if we keep him could not learn to play LF or RF? Could we ever see a lineup like this.

1) Escobar (ss)

2) Hardy(3rd)

3) Braun (RF)

4) Fielder (1st)

5)Gamel (LF)

6) Hart (CF)

7)Weeks(2nd)

8)Kendal/catcher

It's not that JJ isn't capable of playing 3B, it's that he won't play 3B as he won't consider a position change. Gamel could play in the corner OF or corner IF.

If you're trading a piece, you trade Escobar, Gamel is going to be a very valuable hitter.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd prefer to keep Parra, Gamel, and Escobar and not make any trade if it takes one of these 3 to get something done. That said I guess Gamel is the most tradeable. Then Doug can still move Hardy in the winter for more pitching.

Endaround has it...Escobar is going to be a .750 OPS SS with vert good defensive skilss...you trade him and sign a player a lot like him for 3-4 million on the open market---you can still trade hardy...

if they are ever going to trade alcides, now is the time---the odds of him becomming hanley ramirez are 1 in 1000...the odds of him becoming rey ordonez are much. much higher...Gamel will hit...escobar? league average hitter...that's why they should trad ehim now, while he has that "Top prospect" sheen--before people realize he's got more in common with Jed Lowrie than Jose Reyes

Endaround has it...Escobar is going to be a .750 OPS SS with vert good defensive skilss...you trade him and sign a player a lot like him for 3-4 million on the open market---you can still trade hardy...

if they are ever going to trade alcides, now is the time---the odds of him becomming hanley ramirez are 1 in 1000...the odds of him becoming rey ordonez are much. much higher...Gamel will hit...escobar? league average hitter...that's why they should trad ehim now, while he has that "Top prospect" sheen--before people realize he's got more in common with Jed Lowrie than Jose Reyes

Pogokat has nailed it with Escobar. He is being valued as an untouchable by Brewer fans, and in my opinion, this would be a mistake. Escobar will be a league average hitter. Adding him as a centerpiece for an ACE pitcher (even for a season and a half), would be well worth the risk. We could draft a college SS replacement with the draft pick that not re-signing Halladay in 2011 would net.

With all that said, I don't think the Brewers will be willing to give up two of their 3 blue chippers (Gamel, Escobar, Lawrie) and I think that is what it will take to get him.

"We could draft a college SS replacement with the draft pick that not re-signing Halladay in 2011 would net."

Josh Prince.

and End is right, there's a lot of value in Escobar...but he's most likely not going to be a great hitter...Gamel has a very good shot...and could play 4 positions and still be above average...Escobar can only be that way at one.

what Happens if Hallady does not have good results and yes he only Pitches every 5th Day. Keep your Prospects and i believe Melvin said Escobar was untouchable. One Pitcher will not help this team too many players not preforming.

The problem with that is..why does everyone want Escobar then? If they could go sign a FA for that amount, then he shouldn't be a hot commodity. Calling him an average league hitter doesn't do justice either. He's been constantly improving every year and he's at or around .295 in AAA. I think his basement is .240

Archived