Brewer Fanatic

Cliff Lee?

Well, Lee would be the best we could hope for I think, without mortgaging everything on someone like Halladay, who could request a trade at the end of the season.

I think it more likely they'll end up with Pavano.

I'd love to have Lee but as always it depends on what they want for him.

It would be nice to have another lefty in the rotation to go with the new and improved Manny Parra.

I'd think any package for Lee would have to include Manny. Cleveland needs pitching.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Cliff Lee is the guy that i would look for the Brewers to aquire if they get anyone.. Despite Heyman's report about the Brewers possibly aquiring Halladay i just don't think it would be smart or necessary to trade Escobar or Gamel. To get Cliff Lee we need to give them some pitching. I'm thinking that Manny Parra would absolutly have to be included in the deal. We get Cliff Lee next year as well so that poses the question, who would you rather have Lee or Parra the next two years? i would say lee

However the way i look at is in 2011 i think some of these younger arms in the minors may finally be ready and willing to take Lee's spot. Braddock is another guy that the indians may be intrigued by. He isn't far from the big leagues in fact i would look for him to be in a major league rotation next season. They need pitching and truthfully we have a lot of it but i think manny will have to go.

Taylor Green and Jon Lucroy could also be in a deal as the Indians like the both of them last year.. Lee is the way to go in my opinion if they are to aquire a starting pitcher

Braddock is currently back on the DL, I would love for him to be healthy, effective, and pitching the rotation, I just don't see it.

All of the pitchers in A ball need work on their command, they won't be fast movers in the sense that they'll be ready in 2 years (Frederickson, Peralta, Scarpetta). Watten is great when the sinker is working, not so much otherwise, Adams got suspended and was inneffective, Merklinger... I'm not sure what to make of him, his stuff is decent for a LHP but he's not overpowering.

In R+ Arnett doesn't look to be a fast mover either. Odorizzi, Bucci, and Krestalude are young kids and will move up 1 step at a time as well. In R ball Lintz's control is suspect at best but he's talented, I still like Lasker and Stosh, they have some other intriguing arms like Thielbar and Costello. Billings is a mystery to me, his peripherals just don't line up with his Hits allowed, it's like he either strikes a guy out or gives up a hit, similar to Tyson prior to this season.

I do like Rivas and Bowman who don't get a lot of love around here but they probably top out as 3s best case... nothing to be ashamed of, just not top of the rotation. Cody.. who honestly knows how he'll do against MLB players. Anundsen, he's a RHP with an 86-87 mph fast ball... he gets outs, but can he get the people out 3 times through the rotation as he moves up? I have no idea what to make of Periard, I like his stuff, his results not so much... Jeffress was demoted then suspended, who knows if he'll ever be a viable option.

I love our depth, I love having so many high ceiling arms, but I'm not sure we'll have any top of the rotation ready by 2011 if Braddock doesn't stay healthy and end up a SP. He's never pitched more than 80 innings in a season so he has quite a bit of work to do if he's going to get stretched out by then.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

What would it take to get Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez from the Indians? I know it's totally unrealistic, but I would have to think a package headlining Gamel/Escobar, Parra, Salome/Lucroy would be a good starting point.

Positives to this:

- Both are locked up for next season at a reasonable rate

- Get Ace pitcher

- Get another middle of the order bat that hits righties and lefties equally.

- Get offense from the catcher position

Neagatives

- Would have to give up a lot of good prospects

- Payroll would have to go up

- Not sure Martinez could handle playing C everyday

What would it take to get Cliff Lee and Victor Martinez from the Indians? I know it's totally unrealistic, but I would have to think a package headlining Gamel/Escobar, Parra, Salome/Lucroy would be a good starting point.
That would be the starting point and I don't think you would like the ending point of it though.

Gamel/Escobar, Parra, Lucroy, and Peralta/Scarpetta/Ordorizzi would be what the Indians are looking for Lee. Now add in Martinez and it would look something like this: Gamel, Escobar, Parra, Lucroy, Peralta, Gindl, and Scarpetta/Ordorizzi/Anundsen. Way to much to give up for just two players and 1 1/2 years of those two players.

That would be the starting point and I don't think you would like the ending point of it though.

Gamel/Escobar, Parra, Lucroy, and Peralta/Scarpetta/Ordorizzi would be what the Indians are looking for Lee. Now add in Martinez and it would look something like this: Gamel, Escobar, Parra, Lucroy, Peralta, Gindl, and Scarpetta/Ordorizzi/Anundsen. Way to much to give up for just two players and 1 1/2 years of those two players.

I don't think it would take that much, and if it did obviously you can't do it.

I don't think it would take that much, and if it did obviously you can't do it.
The Indians want a haul for Lee and if you add in Martinez you get even more of a haul. The Indians want what the Jays want for Halladay.

Ok, but I just don't think it would take as much as you said.
The Indians want starting pitching and MLB ready in return along with 2 top tier prospects for Lee. That would be Parra (starting pitcher who is MLB ready) Escobar/Gamel, Lucroy/Green, and Scarpetta/Peralta/Ordorizzi. The Indians don't have to trade Lee at all this year especially with the very cheap option for next year on Lee. It will take the moon and the stars to get Lee from the Indians. The Indians are though looking to trade Martinez. Martinez would come cheaper but not that much.

Basically with Lee it is blow the Indians away with an offer or don't even start talking about a trade.

Martinez could probably be had for Salome/Lucroy/Green and Scarpetta/Ordorizzi. Martinez is more likely than Lee because of the Indians asking price. It would take that much to get Lee because the Indians don't really want to trade Lee unless they get something they absolutely can't refuse which would be a Teixeira type of a deal.

Toronto needs to win 95 games to make the playoffs, Cleveland 85. That's a huge difference in planning for next season.
This is why the Indians won't move Lee unless they are blown away by an offer. The Indians even without Martinez next year would be competitive especially if they trade Martinez who is basically a DH or 1B with the Indians for a player like Salome you really don't lose much and if you can get a pitcher or two one near ready and one a little ways away you take it. But when you are trading away a starting pitcher like Lee who you control and rather cheaply you want to get back what you have traded plus more.

Parra, Gamel/Escobar, Lucroy/Green, and Peralta/Scarpetta/Ordorizzi is what it would probably take to get Lee from the Indians. That is somewhat close to what the Rangers got for trading Teixeira away. Now Martinez on the other hand would only take someone like Salome who could take over for Martinez right now as the DH or backup catcher along with someone like Dillard or Cody who could step in and be a starter right now or next year along with an A ball pitcher would get that deal done. Martinez would be a nice bridge for Lucroy though but I'm not sure how Martinez would hold up playing catcher for the whole year though.

They actually might move Joba, but if they are willing to that means there could be something seriously wrong with him. He hasn't been right.
Joba isn't a starting pitcher I don't care what the Yankees say. He should be a reliever he has almost the same problem that McClung has when pitching. The amount of pitches per inning for Chamberlain needs to come down but I believe Chamberlain would be best used coming out of the bullpen as a closer or a setup man especially for the Yankees.

McClung is a crappy pitcher, Chamberlain isn't. Thats a huge difference.
But they have the same problem. I'm not comparing talent here I'm comparing their problems and they share a common problem which is high pitch counts per inning.

Chamberlain did not have control problems in the minors. He didn't have control problems before this season really. This season he's hit 10 batters. And even given all that he's been an average starter
Last season he averaged 17.05 P/IP and this year so far he is averaging 17.41 P/IP his walk rate has also increased from last year 3.5 BB/9 in 08 and 4.23 BB/9 in 09. Along with his walks increasing this year his K/9 has decreased.

Archived