Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-22 Brewers (Suppan) at Pittsburgh (Maholm) : 11:35 AM CT [Brewers lose, 8-7]

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what is the league average? Thanks!
Not sure what the exact average is, but there are 166 players qualified with enough at bats to have this stat count and Braun is tied for 31st. The highest is 67.5% held by Marlon Byrd and Jeff Francoeur and the lowest is Chipper Jones at 47.1% and then Albert Pujols at 47.4%.

I definitely don't think this is a great team, but I do think it's a good team, one that still has what it takes to make a run in this division, and if we can get a stud (for the right price, who we'll control for beyond this year--admittedly this is a long shot), it's worth consideration and may well indeed help to make a difference.
I think everyone forgets that if they do get a stud pitcher - it improves their chances of winning every night. A stud pitcher that you can count on to go for 7 innings every five days gives your bullpen a huge break and thus improves your chances in every other game.

Not sure what the exact average is, but there are 166 players qualified with enough at bats to have this stat count and Braun is tied for 31st. The highest is 67.5% held by Marlon Byrd and Jeff Francoeur and the lowest is Chipper Jones at 47.1% and then Albert Pujols at 47.4%.

League average first strike percentage was 58.7% in 07, 58.6% in 09, and is 58.1% so far this year. Given that pitchers have a tougher time locating the strike zone early in the season, it's safe to assume it will creep back toward where it's been the last two years over the course of the rest of the season.

I'm assuming you got Braun's numbers from fangraphs -- if so, I should point out that all you have to do to see the league averages for a lot of the stats they have there is find the "show averages" button right under the heading for that group of stats (e.g., in this case, right under the "plate discipline" heading on Braun's season stats page).

Archived