Brewer Fanatic

Cards fans make La Russa want to vomit

sargennm

Link

HOUSTON - During a pointed defense of struggling outfielder Chris Duncan, Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said Duncan has been subjected to unfair amounts of criticism as he searches for a way to right his season.

"I get so tired of the unfair treatment of Chris Duncan," La Russa said, directing his comments to vocal fans he believes have a "blind spot" when it comes to the outfielder. "Chris is the whipping boy. ... It makes we want to vomit."

I'm surprised he's not getting more press for putting Brendan Ryan down right before that. A more full quote;

"Maybe it had something to do with the fact that Valverde [has a huge split]," La Russa said. "And did Ryan have a particularly good day? How can people ask? What's the question there? A guy who could hit a two-run homer versus Brendan doing what? Looking futile again? Did anybody watch Brendan's at-bats?

"Chris is a ... whipping boy. I'm so tired of the unfairness with Chris Duncan, it makes me want to vomit. You can tell anybody ... that he's getting treated unfairly. It makes me want to vomit. That's why I get upset as soon as he gets mentioned."

The St. Louis Today Cardinals forum is really one of the crazier fan forums I've seen, and most of them are ready for TLR's head now, which is funny because a few weeks ago I was still seeing praise there about having the best manager in the game.

The St. Louis Today Cardinals forum is really one of the crazier fan forums I've seen, and most of them are ready for TLR's head now, which is funny because a few weeks ago I was still seeing praise there about having the best manager in the game.
Yeah, that's true. The JSonline blog suffers from a bunch of guys fruitlessly trying to be funny, but that stltoday.com forum is full of certified nutballs.

Community Moderator

This seems to happen with the fan base whenever a manager is with the same team for a few years. Some fans agree with the manager's philosophy and will defend just about every move. An opposition also seems to develop who take every controversial move and use it to justify firing the manager. The dichotomy seems to grow as time progresses.

We saw it with Yost, the same thing is happening to the Cubs with Piniella. There are Atlanta Braves fans who dislike Cox and would rather see Yost.

If the team is doing well, you will see fan websites dominated by the "pro-manager" groups. When things start to head south, the "fire ____" crowd gains momentum. I'm sure there are people in the middle, but I doubt they go to internet fan sites.

If the team is doing well, you will see fan websites dominated by the "pro-manager" groups. When things start to head south, the "fire ____" crowd gains momentum. I'm sure there are people in the middle, but I doubt they go to internet fan sites.
Or they become moderators. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

That's two things me and TLR have in common now (we can both take naps in cars, and feel nauseous around Cardinals fans)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

It's really comical to me that LaRussa came out to slam the fans for their purported lack of baseball knowledge (making Duncan the whipping boy is unfair! He's not as bad as they say!)... and then a day later Duncan is dumped for an albatross contract because LaRussa is an idiot & won't just let Brendan Ryan get comfortable at SS. I mean, Julio Lugo is your answer to supplant Ryan? Ryan's defense alone is enough reason to just leave him alone at short.

Yes, clearly the Cards' fans are the ones that don't know baseball...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived