Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 7/22 -- Latest: Arizona Rookie Update

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Timber Rattlers get right fielder Komatsu back but lose game to Dragons

By Ryan Wilson

Post-Crescent staff writer

GRAND CHUTE - It has been a long four months for Erik Komatsu.

The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers outfielder began the season as the club's starting right fielder. That assignment lasted just one game as Komatsu injured himself on opening night and went on the disabled list immediately afterward.

Komatsu returned to the lineup as the designated hitter on Wednesday night, but he received a rude welcome as Dayton defeated the Rattlers 9-4 in front of 4,098 fans at Fox Cities Stadium.

While Komatsu's play was limited to offense, it felt good just to be back in the game.

"There were a lot of setbacks on the way back," said Komatsu, who listed an injured hand and hamstring among his ailments this summer. "I was supposed to be back in two weeks, but I'd go out and swing again and I was set back about three times."

An eighth-round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008, Komatsu was a Pioneer League all-star a season ago. Before returning to the Rattlers, he spent five games with the Arizona League Brewers, going four-for-13 with three RBI.

"Right now, I'm still trying to get in the swing of things," said Komatsu, who finished Wednesday night going zero-for-two with two walks. "It's almost like this is spring training. I'm just trying to get my timing and everything is a little off right now. And health-wise, I'm just trying to get healthy and stay healthy."

The night may have been just what the doctor ordered for Komatsu, but there was frustration to go around for the Timber Rattlers.

Questionable calls, including a two-run home run by Dayton's Josh Fellhauer that snuck past the right-field foul pole to give Dayton a 5-3 lead in the fourth inning, brought Wisconsin manager Jeff Isom out of the dugout on several occasions.

But Isom's greatest frustration came in the fact that his team battled back to tie the game early, but couldn't hold Dayton on defense.

"What I talked to our club about tonight was our inability as a pitching staff to go deep in games," Isom said. "We have a taxed bullpen right now, and if they're not going to give us any kind of length, we're in big trouble."

The night began well as Wisconsin starter Daniel Meadows retired the first two batters he faced in the top of the first. Then, trouble set in.

Dayton's Carlos Mendez and Cody Puckett singled, and Humberto Sosa walked to load the bases. Meadows' control problems continued as he walked in a run, and an ill-advised throw to first on a pick-off attempt by catcher Sean McCraw went into right field to score another run.

The Rattlers returned the favor in the bottom of the inning when Brett Lawrie doubled down the left-field line with one out to score Peter Fatse, and then scored on a fielder's choice.

The next two innings were much of the same. The Dragons jumped back in front when McCraw threw wild into center field on a steal attempt. The error allowed Kevin Coddington to score from third for a 3-2 Dayton lead.

After Fatse led off the Rattlers third with a triple to right-center, Lawrie brought him home with a base hit to tie the game 3-3.

But Fellhauer's two-run shot in the fourth gave Dayton the lead for good. The Dragons tacked on two more runs in the fifth and another two in the seventh.

twobrewers[/b]]Even when healthy, Mark Rogers still has to cut down on his BB before he becomes a very legitimate starting prospect.
I do agree with this statement. Nobody wants to see a pitcher who walks a ton of guys. However this stat for Mark (Post surgery that is) should be irrelevant up to this point. When you have a pitcher stepping on the mound every 5 to 8 days (and there has been plenty of times that start to start dates for Mark have been longer than 5 days due to rain outs) and only throwing 30 to 40 pitches, how can you expect him to be in complete control of all of his pitches? The answer is you can't. Professioanl or not nobody can only throw 30 to 40 pitches in a game situation on average every 6.5 days and expect to have complete control. Now that his pitch count is up to 70 I think that this stat comes into play more. He should start to get a better feel for being on the mound again and hopefully if the weather in Florida cooperates a more regular resting period so he can stay in a groove. With that said I think that we will see Mark cut way down on his walks, his velocity increase (he was 95-98 last night), and we will see that his best innings will be from the 4th to 7th. I think that he already is a VERY LEGITIMATE prospect.

Was at the Stars game last night. Sam Narron looked spot on, but apparently AA is the highest level he can be a star at. I was not high on Lo Cain last year, appeared to be one of those players who is a great athlete, but not necessarily a baseball player. Last night, GRANTED IT WAS ONE GAME, he looked much better than I remember. He hit the ball hard and looked good in CF. His inside the park home run is a bit deceiving. Had the CF not crashed into the wall and crumpled he would have been held probably to a double, possibly a triple. But still, I liked his game last night.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Arizona Brewers 6, Arizona Angels 5, ten innings

Arizona Box Score

Brandon Sizemore led off the top of the 10th with the go-ahead blast, and 20-year-old Dominican native RHP Jose Sanchez wriggled his way to a nail-biting save on a 6-4-3 double play with the bases loaded to end the game; once a very promising rookie baller, LHP Jose Romero continues to sneak his way back into action ever so cautiously after a long absence with a one-inning start; RHP Maverick Lasker looks just fine in his pro debut season as four of his last five appearances have been very good, or even outstanding, like this one; RHP Andrew Sauter tried to protect a one-run lead before extra innings but a two-out rally for the Mariners tied it and nearly won it; usual third baseman Wayne Dedrick was your leftt fielder and reached base four times, as Allixon Cequea played third; for the few fans likely on hand, an entertaining contest...

Arizona Game Log

Archived