Brewer Fanatic

Is there any point in going after Carl Pavano?

RyDogg66

Assuming he is available, healthy, and the Yankees are willing to eat at least 1/2 his remaining contract, do you think he'd be a guy who could come in and stabilize the back end of the rotation?

I wonder what we'd have to give up the get him.

I'm pretty sure Pavano is a power arm. For years people talked about his ace-potential. Then he had one great season and got the big contract. If he could be had cheaply ($$-wise), I'd love to acquire his. He's a low-risk, high reward kind of pitcher. We'd need backup options, though

He'd be the back up option, or at least he would allow Vargas or Villenueva to be the back up option. The way I see it is if we can acquire him for someone like Brady Clark without adding payroll (i.e. we pay what ever Clark would make) I don't see how it hurts us.

I think that's largely because they have nearly identical win loss records and ip...

sheets has a much better ERA (and likewise ERA+) as well as something like 300 more strikeouts...

pavano's not as bad as his reputation currently has it...but pavano isn't that much like sheets....i'd say he is much more like doug davis....

eyeroll[/i]

Rydogg if all you have is an eye roll, must realize that it is closer too the truth than you like. He need solid arms not a guy that has had issues with staying healthy for years. Take look Pavano seems to always be nicked up.

i think the eyeroll was at your assertion that sheets has injury issues...

What would you call the last couple of years, he has not been out there for a full season. I know they are not the same injury and odd ones, but bottom line he has not been on the hill.

It was a combination of the Sheets comparison and the fact that you ignored that I said get him for next to nothing (essentially what Brady Clark is making).

I'd much rather take Pavano at what Brady Clark is making this year and roll the dice that he can give us 30 starts at the back end of the rotation than have Clark making outs on the basepaths when he is used as a pinch runner and 5th OF.

I dont propose taking on Pavano's salary, just trading for him without adding salary and not counting on him to be a savior. Any benefit he would provide would be great. Also, if he is already damaged goods, ie not healthy, then forget it.

I'd much rather take Pavano at what Brady Clark is making this year and roll the dice that he can give us 30 starts at the back end of the rotation than have Clark making outs on the basepaths when he is used as a pinch runner and 5th OF.

Well Pavano would most likely be taking Brady's spot keeping the becnh warm with some type of injury. Clark would actual be in his best role as a 4th OFer. He got a boost in numbers because of playing time, but now the league has exposed him and it seems he can not counter.

I would rather a young arm got a spot instead of some brittle guy.

Ok. then Ben Hendrickson it is. You do know that your darling Chris Capuano missed the end of 2004 with an injury and all of 2003 with Tommy John surgery right? He's an elbow twitch away from being in your doghouse.

Rydogg

1. I do not consider Little Ben even an option. He is a classice 4A player. He should only be used in a pinch. ZackJack, Charlie V, or Yo would be better options.

2. A lot of pitchers have either had TJ or Rotar Cuff surgeries now days. Cappy has come back worked and proved he is a solid pitcher.

I hope Sheets steps up and proves me wrong this year. I want him to be healthy and put up great numbers, but until he does I will not feel he is earning his keep. The team needs him to be at the top of his game for them to contend.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived