Brewer Fanatic

Will Burns make another start?

Mike Burns has shown he just doesn't have MLB stuff. I'm suprised he wasn't optioned after last nights game, to get an extra bullpen arm up here. What if we get a short start tonight?

Macha decision to give up on McClung as a starter is really starting to haunt us. Did Macha really think McClung was going to be an instant success as a starter? McClung pitched well enough as a starter last year. He, not Burns, should have stayed in the rotation.

Bush won't be ready to start for awhile, so we'll need someone to fill the 5th starter spot. They won't throw Burns to the Wolves again will they. Could Chris Cody get the shot he's earning in AAA? If it was me, I'd have sent Burns out last night to get an extra arm to cover us until the 5th spot comes up again, and I'd then call up Cody.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I wouldn't count on Dillard for anything more than what Burns has been doing. I would give the ball to Cody, but I am not Doug Melvin obviously. Burns should be done though. I don't understand how he holds down the Dodgers, but can't hold back the Pirates. Frustrating.

Did anyone hear the blurb about Brian Anderson talking to Gamel before he left for Nashville during the game last night. According to BA Gamel was confident that he would be back in Milwaukee shortly, as in prior to September call ups. Does Gamel know something about trades in the talks or am i reading way to much into the comments and Gamels just exuding confidence.

I think you read to much into it trademark04, at least if the bit I heard BA talking about. He was just stating what we all know, that Gamel is in the team's long term plans and that he's going to be on a big league team. It was Rock who said he wouldn't be surprised to see Gamel back before September, not Gamel.

I agree with you X. Macha continues to confuse me. I haven't been impressed at all, but again I don't put a ton of weight in managers in the game of baseball. The 'gut feeling' he tends to work with just doesn't work all the time. I'd be fine with calling up Cody. I think that's the right move. I would also like to see Dillard up, but only in the bullpen. The starting experience was a bad idea by the Brewers and his numbers indicate that. I can't believe he's already thrown so many innings and compared to last year I do worry he's going to burn out. He's already thrown 33 more innings this year than last year. Sooner or later we have to decide that he's either moving to the bullpen so he can help the big league team or he's going to wear down in Nashville.

Did anyone hear the blurb about Brian Anderson talking to Gamel before he left for Nashville during the game last night. According to BA Gamel was confident that he would be back in Milwaukee shortly, as in prior to September call ups. Does Gamel know something about trades in the talks or am i reading way to much into the comments and Gamels just exuding confidence.

I wouldn't read too much into it. I highly doubt DM has shared anything with Gamel except if a trade happens you'll be back up. There's just not going to be playing time for him unless something really crazy happens. If JJ gets traded, I don't see how Gamel would play all that much and Heether would be the guy to call up since he can play multiple positions. If worst comes to worst for Mat, he's back up in Milwaukee in a little more than a month. I honestly do feel bad for any Brewer that has to bounce from Milwaukee to Nashville even once...it's night and day.

McClung has been terrible as well so I really fail to see how he was a better option than Burns.
He was given only 2 starts. I'd say his 4.24 ERA in 12 starts last season is more relevent than those 2 starts. Burns, in his career, hasn't been a good AAA pitcher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If we cant work out a trade, I call up Cody or give the spot to McClung. I'm really interested in seeing what Cody can do up here. And if McClung is given the spot, Macha should actually give him a chance to stretch out. I agree with the sentiment that it was a mistake to go with Burns over McClung. McClung has better stuff and pitched well as a starter last year. He should have been given more of a chance.

He was given only 2 starts. I'd say his 4.24 ERA in 12 starts last season is more relevent than those 2 starts. Burns, in his career, hasn't been a good AAA pitcher.
He had a 4.84 FIP and was neutral in HR/FB. His talent level as a starter is just not all that high most likely because he walks a lot of guys and gives up too many flyballs. I'm not saying I like Burns, I just don't see McClung as an answer considering it hurts the bullpen.

i believe that if we can't / won't acquire a starter lets give chris cody a chance. He has decent control and his AAA numbers looks good. If Bush is throwing again on Friday before we know what the brewers course of actions are, we have to figure out something. I am going to assume Burns gets skipped with the off day on Thursday and Looper will be starting on Sunday, so that buys the team some time.

Can McClung ever pitch an inning in under 20 pitches? As long as he is throwing as many pitches as he does he will never be efficient enough to be a viable starting pitcher. McClung is just incapable of throwing more than 4 or 5 innings tops due to his ridculously high pitch counts and thats just not gonna change.

Can McClung ever pitch an inning in under 20 pitches? As long as he is throwing as many pitches as he does he will never be efficient enough to be a viable starting pitcher. McClung is just incapable of throwing more than 4 or 5 innings tops due to his ridculously high pitch counts and thats just not gonna change.
I agree. Even in his starts last season he never went deep into games. Trying to shoehorn him into a starting role is just going to tax the bullpen even more.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

McClung is just incapable of throwing more than 4 or 5 innings tops due to his ridculously high pitch counts and thats just not gonna change.

Thats not factually true. It took him 2 starts to stretch out last year, then he went at least 6, with quality starts, in 5 of his next 9 before returning to the pen. He got outs in the 7th twice. He works as deep or deeper than numerous other starters we have. He is clearly better than Burns.

I really don't think there are any answers unless Arizona gives away Davis. I think we have to have the institutional fortitude to stand pat and simply take our lumps. I suppose the exception would be trading Hardy, but I simply can't see the Brewers making any big moves that won't hurt us long term. Maybe moving Hart (I can't believe he's worth much) but I don't see it because Macha would pitch a fit, and then do something stupid like make Catalonado (sic) the replacement rather than Gerut. I agree McClung isn't the answer. I'd be willing to try Villy, but again I think he's in Macha's doghouse, and I've yet to see someone come out of there. Every alternative feels like grasping at straws.

I want to see Dillard or Cody. If for no other reason than to see if either of these guys has potential to join the rotation next year. I see it as a mixed blessing. There's an open spot in the rotation, why not fill it with someone who may actually have a shot to stay there permanently?

I am going to assume Burns gets skipped with the off day on Thursday and Looper will be starting on Sunday, so that buys the team some time.

Good point, but if that's the case, they should send Burns down and bring up a reliever to help out the bullpen during this time.

I see it as a mixed blessing. There's an open spot in the rotation, why not fill it with someone who may actually have a shot to stay there permanently?

Giving Cody a shot to start a game, especially in a lower-pressure situation (knowing that it's a spot start until Bush returns), could give him a good "feel for the bigs," and give the Brewers (and fans) a chance to see him in action against MLB talent.

Macha decision to give up on McClung as a starter is really starting to haunt us. Did Macha really think McClung was going to be an instant success as a starter? McClung pitched well enough as a starter last year. He, not Burns, should have stayed in the rotation.

Sending him to Nashville to get a start or two would have been ideal, although probably not practical. McClung just seemed to be missing about 5-6 MPH off his fastball when he started vs. when he was in the 'pen. Early in the season, when he missed over the plate with a 97-98 MPH heater, he could get away with it. When he started, he was throwing 91-93 MPH, likely in an effort to last 5+ innings. When he missed in the middle of the plate with a 91 MPH fastball, it got hit hard. Now he's back in the 'pen, and whether it's a lack of confidence, him being upset at being sent back to the 'pen or what, he hasn't been pitching very well.

He did a respectable job last year as a starter. He was thrown into an unfair situation this year, being asked to start without the chance to stretch out. He wasn't cutting it, but maybe he wasn't given the oppotunity to show he could cut it. Just one more reason for me to dislike what Macha's doing this year. I really want to like a Brewers' manager, but he's making it tough. Of course, as far as starting pitching, Melvin didn't give Macha the best tools in the shed to work with, so I can't lay all the blame on Macha.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Does Gamel know something about trades in the talks or am i reading way to much into the comments and Gamels just exuding confidence.

From the 'Melvin on WSSP' thread, Doug expects that McGehee will need surgery in the offseason. However, I think the better answer is probably that Gamel just knows he is legit & will be back soon.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived