Brewer Fanatic

Time to Re-visit Acquiring Peavy?

With all the hoopla surrounding Halladay, I was wondering what other pitcher could the Brewers acquire that could have a big impact during the stretch run and for next season. Maybe Jake Peavy? Now that Peavy has been given a clean bill of health, and is set to begin rehabbing, he might be an option to reconsider. Thoughts?

I'd look at him, but I'd rather get someone who can help this season...I'm not sure if Peavy falls under that category at this point.
I think he could definitely help this season. It's just a matter of whether the Brewers could hang on until he's ready. The Padres haven't set a timetable for his return, but I would bet he's ready to go sometime in August. The big appeal for me is that he will more than likely cost less than Halladay, and he is signed for longer than Halladay (also younger). Peavy and Gallardo would make for a stellar 1-2 punch for the next few years.

Even if he was healthy, he'd still have that bad contract. I'll still pass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Now that Peavy has been given a clean bill of health, and is set to begin rehabbing, he might be an option to reconsider. Thoughts?

How has he been given a clean bill of health? There is a suggestion that he may be done for the year.

Yeah, that is being floated out there right now. It's not as if the Padres have urgency to rush him back before the end of this season. I just don't see how it makes sense to try to trade for him now. Maybe in the off-season it could be re-visited, but not right now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Now that Peavy has been given a clean bill of health, and is set to begin rehabbing, he might be an option to reconsider. Thoughts?

How has he been given a clean bill of health? There is a suggestion that he may be done for the year.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090716&content_id=5897680&vkey=news_sd&fext=.jsp&c_id=sd

Sounds to me like he just has to get his arm ready.

They shouldn't be "backing away" at this point anyway. The division is still quite winnable, and they play a lot of bad teams in the next few weeks. What happens if they go, say, 6-1 over their next week of games? Then are they suddenly back in it? That wouldn't leave much time to suddenly become buyers, either.

Also, with three million fans on track again at Miller Park and record TV ratings, becoming sellers would be a terrible business decision right now. Sometimes it's about more than just the team on the field...sometimes you have to be loyal to the fans that have been loyal to you. I'm not saying they should sell the farm to get one pitcher, but trading off guys now when 1st place is still within grasp would send a terrible message. We're not the Pittsburgh Pirates anymore.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

and record TV ratings, becoming sellers would be a terrible business decision right now.
Did I miss that the Brewers redid their contract with FSN? Otherwise, it isn't like they are going to be able to spend more because ratings are higher.

I think this is a great option to think about. It could feasibly happen because I believe it almost happened already. I think the Padres would have to drop their demands a bit and that is the rub. Are the Padres that desperate? They just might be. I have not heard any rumblings at all about this and this is my best contact by far. I'll check into this and see what the real possibilities are. I would "guess" that Peavy's earliest return date would be about August 20th. I'll ck on that too.

I think this is a great option to think about. It could feasibly happen because I believe it almost happened already. I think the Padres would have to drop their demands a bit and that is the rub. Are the Padres that desperate? They just might be. I have not heard any rumblings at all about this and this is my best contact by far. I'll check into this and see what the real possibilities are. I would "guess" that Peavy's earliest return date would be about August 20th. I'll ck on that too.

Thanks. It will be interesting to hear what you find out. I think acquiring Peavy would be a shrewd move by Melvin. He could help down the stretch (if he proves healthy) and for the next few years. His contract isn't as bad as some make it out to be either. At least I think it will turn out to be very affordable for a frontline starter over the next few years. Also you would think he would cost less than Halladay, and he has expressed an interest in playing in the Midwest.

Peavy and Gallardo at the top of the rotation through 2013 would be awesome.

i am not sure if one pitcher will help this team get over the top right now,and hopefully Melvin holds onto our top prospects.

Amen, agree completely.

They shouldn't be "backing away" at this point anyway. The division is still quite winnable, and they play a lot of bad teams in the next few weeks. What happens if they go, say, 6-1 over their next week of games? Then are they suddenly back in it? That wouldn't leave much time to suddenly become buyers, either.

We've got ten days to trade deadline and we're one game over .500, tied for third place, three games back. I agree the division is still winnable, but we seem to have got the "old" Parra back, and will soon get argueably our most consistant pitcher this year back in Bush. Obviously signing a Halladay or a healthy Peavy would help, but our big problem with pitching have been that Parra forgot how to throw strikes and Bush got drilled in the arm, sending him to the DL.

If Hardy, Hart, Kendall and to a lesser extent Cameron don't start to click, picking up one star pitcher will not do much to get us to the playoffs this year, and could substantially hurt our chances of getting to the playoffs for the next decade if we give up too much talent to get them. What CC did last year will probably be unmatched by any mid-season free agent pitcher pickup ever again. He was phenominal and almost single-handedly got us to the playoffs. A healthy Peavy for eight starts in August-September instead of Parra, Bush, Suppan or Looper would likely only mean one extra win or so this year. Plus, Peavy makes so much money over the next few years, he would hamstring our roster, even though he should be a good pitcher.

I'd say hold onto prospects we feel will help the team in the future and stand relatively pat with this team, which could win the division without mortgaging the future. If Bush cannot get healthy, or if something else happens to the rotation, make a less costly deal like the rumored one for Doug Davis that will not cost us major parts of our future. The chance of winning rests on the aforementioned position players playing better. If that happens, we have a good shot of winning the division without a major deal. If it doesn't happen, we will not make the playoffs even with a major deal. The upside of a major deal doesn't seem to outweight the downside at this point.

The fact that we insisted on major league talent back when we got rid of Lee makes me think Melvin is not strong enough to back away from going for it any year in the forseeable future.

I worry that you're right. If we are to make a big deal this season, I'd hope it would include Hardy and be for a pitcher that will help us for a few years, but I may be asking too much.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Peavy is injured and owed $50M...I don't expect a line to form, to say the least.
This is why he might be able to be gotten on the cheap. At the same time, the Padres just might want him to come out and shine the last month of the year to drive up his value in off-season. I don't expect anything myself...but I wouldn't count it out.

My guy tells me that he has heard nothing about trades really since injury. It might ramp up now because of "clean bill of health." He told me Jake "may" be ready in 3-4 weeks. So really nothing we didn't already know.

Archived