Brewer Fanatic

Brewers pursuing Sherrill

Meredith has a 6+ ERA since mid-May, pitching half his games in Petco. I like him for a team like BAL, who can wait for him to work things out, but he's no upgrade on Chris Smith, who has put up good numbers despite being abused (as the last guy in the bullpen often does).

The Crew has to get through 40 more days before rosters expand and allow for a bigger bullpen. Sherrill is a talented lefty, but he's unlikely to be more than a one inning guy. A guy like Coffey (or McClung before he started a couple games), able to go 2+ frames one day and come back the next and go an inning is what they need, but probably are not available.

His '09 splits mirror his career, LH bats can't touch him, RH's about .320/.420. He'd be a nice guy to have, and would probably step in as the favorite to be the '10 closer.

I would think the Brewers would have to give too much to get Sherrill. It would probably prevent them from aquiring another starter. With that said, let's speculate. For just Sherrill, what do you think they give up? Does Hart, Villy and a top 20 prospect get us Sherrill and Scott? Does anyone know what kind of contract Sherrill has?

Sherrill is signed through 2009 ($2.75M). I'm not 100% sure on his service time, but I think he has one more season of arbitration eligibility.
He's not eligible for FA until 2012 which makes him a very nice target considering how he'd boost the pen now and give them a closer for the next 2 seasons. Hardy's name keeps coming up, but O's have a need as SS.

I hate trading for other team's closers.

They are always overvalued.

The Brewers have several relief pitchers already better than Sherrill - but because he gets the "S" at the end of the game, he has some magical value added to him. He has pitched very well this year, but last year he had a WHIP of 1.50 with a 4.72 ERA.

Peter Gammons has reported that the asking price for Sherril is astronomical. The O's are looking for a sucker, and we won't be that sucker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It's the same song and dance with the O's every year. "Player X might be available but they want the moon and stars." And then nothing happens and they continue to lose every year.
That stance got them Adam Jones and Sherrill (and a few more guys) for 1 of their pitchers. No reason to not hold out for a lot rather than just give good players to other teams. Their awfulness has more to do with how few good players they have, not the fact that they won't just give those players to whichever team happens to ask for them.

The Angels have expressed interest in Baltimore closer George Sherrill, and the Orioles had a scout at Saturday's game, but the teams do not appear close to a deal. The Orioles so far are asking for two top prospects for Sherrill. The Angels would like Sherrill to pitch the eighth inning for them, but not at the price of, say, Brandon Wood and Trevor Reckling.

Los Angeles Times

Rousieboy - I think you might have read the story incorrectly.

Sherrill is not really a closer. He is a nice relief pitcher, though. The Orioles are always about fleecing their trade partner. It worked when they traded Tejada and Bedard but no one will get crazy over a relief pitcher.

I think Stetter + Swindle + [player(s) that would be needed to acquire Sherrill] > Stetter + Swindle + Sherrill

He's not eligible for FA until 2012 which makes him a very nice target considering how he'd boost the pen now and give them a closer for the next 2 seasons. Hardy's name keeps coming up, but O's have a need as SS.

Are you really suggesting trading Hardy for Sherrill?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived