Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Felipe Lopez from Arizona for Cole Gillespie/Roque Mercedes, Gamel back to Nashville

I've been away for most of the weekend, but I just have to pop in and say that I'm happy that the Brewers were able to get Felipe Lopez for two guys who ultimately weren't in the team's plans. Gillespie wasn't going to advance much further than AAA in the Brewers' system and Mercedes seems like a reliever at best.

It's a little disappointing that Doug wasn't able to get a pitcher, but it makes sense when you consider the recent reports that the Diamondbacks have shown interest in negotiating an extension with Davis and they just signed Garland. I do think this move shows that Melvin (thankfully) thinks there's still hope for the Brewers' playoff chances, and at the same time this isn't one of the dreaded instances of making a move just for the sake of making a move.

Even if Lopez is seen as a bit of an unsavory character, at least he'll be a decent bat that'll only be around for a few months.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Presuming Weeks is healthy -- Weeks is going to get most of the starts -- Paying someone $4-5 to backup 2b is probably not prudent. If DM is concerned that Weeks can only start 100 games -- then it is more sensible of course.
But Lopez can fake it at SS and play a pretty good 3B. He's the quintessential utility man. There's no reason to think he couldn't play 1B or OF too. A guy that can play multiple positions and hit within shouting distance of league average has value.

I think Al pointed out that Lopez benefited from playing half his games in Arizona. I apologize if this has already been posted but Lopez' career batting average at Miller Park is his highest of any Park in the majors. That should be worth something as the guy obviously likes hitting here. Unless of course he just like the pitchers, in which case, nevermind. I think some are really going overboard on this. The crew has legitimate concerns about MGees knees. Counsell is not spring chicken and could use a break here and there. Having Counsell and Lopez at the top gives Braun and Fielder more chances. Gamel is a little lost at this point so he goes where he needs to go. We gave up a nice 4th outfielder type and a Single A guy, not earth shattering here folks. Cardinals picked him up last year and he played very well for them.

I think this trade, and Gamel's subsequent demotion is really about Ken Macha and not Doug Melvin. Heether obviously doesn't have the confidence of the Brewers, and it's just as obvious to me that the Crew is worried about the health of both Counsell and Casey. This is a lateral move in the sense that it keeps the Brewers as good as they are now. What scares me, is that this might be an indication that Doug thinks he can win the division. I'll say it till I'm blue in the face--this team is not a playoff team. The pitching isn't good enough, and only Hallady can make us a contenders, and since he's too expensive it's just not going to work. I'm disappointed by Macha if he turns out to be one of those anti-young guys managers. Gamel really was our best chance for the everyday line up, but since this isn't a playoff team it's a waste of service time to have him up in the Bigs. That said, I'd trade Mercedes and Cole just for the potential sandwich pick every year. So in the end I support the trade (and would have done it myself) with my usual dose of skepticism.

I don't care for this trade. Only time will tell, but from what I read in this thread is that he is not great on D, may be OK on offense but that could be due to park affect and we have internal prospects. It also sound like he has character issues. We may get a pick, we may not. I know we needed help on offence but I don't think Lopez is the answer. I think we could have got the same production from Grudzelanek who signed with the Twins today with out the loss of prospects no matter how insignificant they seem now.

I don't know why we would offer Lopez Arby's.

Why in the world wouldn't they?

Weeks, Hardy, Escobar, Gamel, McGehee, Hall. Possibly Iribarren and Heether. No room at the Inn next year.

After digesting this a bit, the one area they needed improvement on was a leadoff hitter with a good OBP. As is, I'm OK with it, and it could be a good trade provided the following happens:

1) Lopez maintains his OBP.

2) Lopez is offered arbitration and declines, netting a supplemental pick; or

3) Lopez is offered arbitration and accepts, and Hardy is traded in the offseason for pitching and Counsell is not brought back, making Lopez the backup utility infielder. (That would be funny though, because the bench of Hall and Lopez would make double what the starting infield of Gamel/Escobar/Weeks would make). Lopez takes Hardy's salary.

If this move is taken at face value I think it's a decent move that won't hurt the team. Lopez brings consistency to the lineup and strengthens the bench slightly with Counsell and McGehee as regular pinch hitting options. I strongly believe, though, that Melvin has another deal for pitching in the works. I don't see him making this move thinking it will give us the needed push to make the playoffs on its own. I think Hardy and Gamel will be pieces in a trade that brings Halladay to the Brewers. Escobar gets called up and Lopez can always play SS if he struggles to contribute. If another trade for a pitcher is not made, I wonder why Melvin would make this deal as it is probably a neutral move by itself.

Weeks, Hardy, Escobar, Gamel, McGehee, Hall. Possibly Iribarren and Heether. No room at the Inn next year.

Allow me to go on the record as guaranteeing that at least one of those mentioned will not be in the organization come February, and very possibly two of them.

It wouldn't surprise me if Gerut has a higher OBP than Lopez from here on out, we are talking about a player with a BABIP spike who has had bad OBP most seasons. Really hard for me to get solidly on board with this.

If Lopez can keep playing like he has been so far this season or like he did in 2005, great. Otherwise, it was probably pretty pointless.

I think everybody feels this way. The main point of disagreement seems to be whether or not he will continue to hit like he has this year or fall back to his career levels for the rest of the year.

Mercedes seems like a reliever at best.

You say that like league minimum price players in the pen have little or no value.

But Lopez can fake it at SS and play a pretty good 3B. He's the quintessential utility man. There's no reason to think he couldn't play 1B or OF too. A guy that can play multiple positions and hit within shouting distance of league average has value.

His career numbers suggest he will hit a little over a win worse than a league average player over an entire year. I think the suggestion that he can play a decent 3B may have some merit, but so can Hall. Lopez is a terrible SS and about an average or slightly better 2B. His defense brings nothing to the table really. Counsell is a better defender at SS and 2B and probably 3B as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Counsell is a better defender at SS and 2B and probably 3B as well
Probably so, but I think the point that some appear to be missing or leaving out of the discussion is that Counsell and McGehee cannot play every day for the rest of the season due to health and Macha won't give regular PT to Gamel (moot now). Hall isn't playing at a league average pace and Heether has less of a chance of playing than Gamel did. Put simply, Lopez was needed.

Another vote for 'completely underwhelmed' with this trade. The solution was in-house, and instead of get the right players on the field, our GM went out & burned two prospects on an average player who really is redundant for this team. Sure, the prospects aren't big losses, but still. This deal really underscores what a mess this organization has been in handling Gamel. This kid should have (justifiably so) had the red carpet rolled out for him at 3B, but for some reason our GM defers to his new hire at manager, who can't see the forest for the trees.

I can find a small amount of solace in this deal -- since Melvin seemed incapable of taking action to get the organization's top prospect on the MLB field where he belongs, at least he's taken a step to get Gamel regular playing time. I don't intend this to be a glowing compliment for Melvin, but at least he hasn't made the situation even worse (I guess).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'll give my assessment... and this is basically a major league assessment, as my knowledge on Gillespie and Roque is minimal at best. I see this helping the Brewers a few ways with the day to day club.

1) Solidifies the lead off role. How many guys have we had lead off since Rickie went down? 5? 6? I can count McGahee, Counsell, Cameron, Kendall, and Hart. Am I missing someone? With Lopez, we can go back to showing the same lineup everyday again.

1) Lopez
2) Hardy
3) Braun
4) Prince
5) Hart
6) Cameron
7) 3rd base
8) Kendall

I think it will benefit the offenses' mindset when guys come to the park and know where they will be slotted each day.

2) Counsell/McGahee back to the bench. Adding another real pinch hitting option to the bench will be a great benefit. This is especially true for Counsell, who I think will get better as he gets routine days off again. Counsell really thrived in that role earlier this year. Nothing against Gamel... because he had some nice pinch hits while he was here, but you are going to get a good at bat from Counsell everytime. Gamel looked overmatched at times.

Are these benefits worth the two minor leaguers? Opinion I guess... plus I think this is a big positive for Gamel to get his at bats again. I am going to be positive about the trade until I am forced to not like it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Go Crew.

Nothing against Gamel... because he had some nice pinch hits while he was here, but you are going to get a good at bat from Counsell everytime. Gamel looked overmatched at times.

Mat Gamel's batting line while at 3B this season is .268/.346/.507/.853. The only reason he ever looked overmatched is that his manager knew nothing but how to ignore his presence & importance to this team's future. I am typically not one to put much faith in a small sample like the 81 PA that comprise the line I listed for Gamel, but in this instance the batting line matches up with what should roughly be expected from Mat.

The Brewers will be lucky to get a .270 AVG/.350 OBP kind of line out of Lopez, let alone the vast gulf in SLG between a player of Gamel's abilities vs. a player of Lopez's abilities.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Nothing against Gamel... because he had some nice pinch hits while he was here, but you are going to get a good at bat from Counsell everytime. Gamel looked overmatched at times.

and Gamel still almost matched Counsell's numbers and should be expected to do much better given his MiLB numbers. It isn't a SLG heavy OPS where Gamel has SLG to make up for OBP. Their SLG is even. Gamel walked much more to get his OBP which would explain the even SLG.

My guess is the next lineup aggravation will be seeing Lopez leading off against LHP. He doesn't have much of a platoon split and the rest of our guys(outside of Fielder) crush LHP. Lopez is actually a little worse over his carer against LHP than he is against RHP.

I blame Wang.

"The Brewers will be lucky to get a .270 AVG/.350 OBP kind of line out of Lopez, let alone the vast gulf in SLG between a player of Gamel's abilities vs. a player of Lopez's abilities."

I have to disagree. I think .270/.350 is about what should be expected from Lopez. I'd say they'd be lucky to get a .300 avg/.370 OBP.

and the rest of our guys(outside of Fielder) crush LHP

Prince actually hits lefties better than righties.

vs RHP - .312 avg| HR every 14.73 ABs| Base every 1.65 ABs| RBI every 4.25 ABs

vs LHP - .317 avg| HR every 11.22 ABs| Base every 1.53 ABs| RBI every 3.16 ABs

and the rest of our guys(outside of Fielder) crush LHP

Prince actually hits lefties better than righties.

vs RHP - .312 avg| HR every 14.73 ABs| Base every 1.65 ABs| RBI every 4.25 ABs

vs LHP - .317 avg| HR every 11.22 ABs| Base every 1.53 ABs| RBI every 3.16 ABs

This year only. Look at his career stats instead. I am going to believe the 753 PA over 116 PA.

vs RHP .293/.398/.568/.966

vs LHP .260/.341/.492/.834

I blame Wang.

Even so, I don't see why you would choose to exclude Prince in that statement. For their careers Prince has hit lefties similarly to Mike Cameron and better than some of the other guys in our lineup.

If he's due to get a bump, he'll be trying his hand at free agency and won't accept.

I am not willing to make this gamble for a sammy pick.

You must lose a lot of bets. Lopez specifically went for a one year contract this year in the hopes of playing well enough to net a multi-year deal. With his performance this year, he is well on his way to convincing teams that he is finally living up to his vast potential. Only fools and communists would refuse to take such a bet.

Plus, Lopez has the one thing stat heads hate and mediocre GM's love: Tools. Lots of em.

And I don't really understand the complaints that this move does nothing to help our outfield depth. Lopez can play all three outfield positions, so he not only helps ease the wear and tear on our brittle middle infielders, but he can help spell our outfielders as well.

...the rest of our guys(outside of Fielder) crush LHP.

.341/.492 against lefties is still quite good. That's approximately a 117 OPS+. Compare that to Justin Morneau's .310/.458, Ryan Howard's .306/.444, Adrian Gonzalez's .309/.426 or Carlos Pena's .313/.439. Those are the career numbers against lefties of the other 4 left-handed 1st basemen who made the All-Star team this year. Prince is by far the best against lefties among them. I think it's fair to say that he can hit lefties just fine. The team as a whole is hitting .347/.422 against lefties this year, so how does the team "crush lefties" but Prince doesn't, when his career numbers against them are far better than what the team is doing?

Even last year, when the team's platoon split was far more pronounced, the team as a whole hit lefties to the tune of .348/.458, still worse than Fielder's career numbers against them.

Given Macha just wasn't going to let Gamel start everyday at 3rd, i'm fine with the trade so long as i'm later quite surprised that either guy we traded amounts to much of anything in the majors. Unless Mercedes becomes a really good relief pitcher,i think we pretty much got Lopez for nothing.

I am never really comfortable being in a position where supporting a trade is contingent on management refusing to do something else. On balance I don't feel we gave up that much. Cole had a down year at Nashville which doesn't really help his case to make it as a bench bat. A ball pitchers long on promise, but shorter on results also don't worry me too much. I'm just not that convinced that we come out ahead on the offensive side vs. other internal options. I can slightly understand not calling up Hernan since he's been up before if ever so briefly. I can't see especially with Macha being concerned about Casey's defense because of the knee why Heether doesn't get called up and let Casey take a rest to heal.

Archived