Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Felipe Lopez from Arizona for Cole Gillespie/Roque Mercedes, Gamel back to Nashville

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why in the world wouldn't they?

He is not very good at baseball, and we presumably have a healthy Weeks coming back. He's probably going to get a bump -- I'd wouldn't want him back at all.

Looking at the upcoming free agent class, I have a hard time believing there won't be teams interested in Lopez this off season. And even if there's no interested in Lopez, being saddled with a versatile infielder with decent numbers isn't the worst thing in the world.

This team isn't losing because of 2B and 3B.

No, but it's in serious danger there because of the injuries to McGehee and Counsell that seem to be lingering. And Craig simply can't play this much and be expected to be useful later in the season.

Only because Macha refuses to just play Gamel every day and give those guys at least every other day off.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If he's due to get a bump, he'll be trying his hand at free agency and won't accept.

I am not willing to make this gamble for a sammy pick.

Even if Weeks comes back and Lopez accepts for some reason, the Brewers still need versatile utility players, which Lopez is.

For 4-5 Mil per year?

"simply adding Heether"

As if Heether has some sort of comparable track record like Lopez's.

The track record on Lopez is that he is a dog... A lazy player who will not recieve a multi year offer from any other team... The DBacks couldn't get rid of him soon enough despite his current numbers and the fact that they need a 2B. Even St. Louis was willing to try Shumaker at 2B and didn't offer Lopez a long term deal after putting up great numbers the 2nd half of last year... From everything I have read and heard here in Arizona, the DBacke were looking for the first taker (sucker)! Put me down for NOT liking this deal!

"simply adding Heether"

As if Heether has some sort of comparable track record like Lopez's.

I'm pretty sure Heether could put up a .730 OPS, which is what Lopez is at for his career.

I second the Roque, but I can't be unhappy about getting a leadoff hitter. Now, we can at least expect to know that the lineup will consist of:

2B Lopez

-

LF Ryan Braun

1B Prince Fielder

-

-

-

C Jason Kendall

P YO!!!

Gamel was doing well, but he visibly looked frustrated so many times when he would get caught looking, or simply flailing. His arm was a welcome sight and only reinforced my belief that he is the future at third. And as for the question of whether he would accept the curly fries if offered, we are firmly committed to Rickie in '10 and hopefully further. The writing is on the wall. Even if he did accept Arby's, he would still welcome a trade (which would allow for a trade), I would have to assume.

The worst-case scenario of Lopez accepting arbitration (he won't), settling in at second base for a year, and Weeks being moved to CF for 2010 does not exactly make me sick to my stomach. Not a dream scenario, but not horrendous.

I don't really see why everyone thinks that Weeks can just step in and be a good CF. Hall was able to do it, but I see him as being a lot more versatile defensively then Weeks. Also, Hall had a whole offseason to adjust. Weeks would likely not find out about it until after the Lopez situation is resolved. It would also add another thing for him to think about coming off injury. I don't think it's a great idea at this point in time.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Theres no way Lopez accepts Arby when theres no starting spot for him here. He's still young enough that he won't want to kill his FA value the following year.

Lopez and Weeks have been offseason workout partners in the past.

I do agree with those that think would have been better just to play Gamel fulltime. When used as the starting 3B, his OPS is much better than Lopez's. Gamel numbers are just out of kilt because of his numerous PH ABs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I second the Roque, but I can't be unhappy about getting a leadoff hitter.

The problem is that he probably really ins't a good leadoff option. Gamel would probably have been a better lead off option. If you don't believe that by now after reading this whole thread, there isn't much point in trying to change your mind.

Even if he did accept Arby's, he would still welcome a trade (which would allow for a trade), I would have to assume.

I think that if he did end up back with the Brewers, we wouldn't be able to trade him until after June 15th.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For 4-5 Mil per year?

Yeah, I think they'd take that salary if they decide to trade Hardy. That's not too expensive an insurance policy to have if our middle infielders next year aren't ready.

I'm pretty sure Heether could put up a .730 OPS

The point is, that's speculation. Lopez is at least proven. Heether could well be the next Chris Barnwell- who knows?

And even if there's no interested in Lopez, being saddled with a versatile infielder with decent numbers isn't the worst thing in the world.

There are much better values to be had.

The worst-case scenario of Lopez accepting arbitration (he won't), settling in at second base for a year, and Weeks being moved to CF for 2010 does not exactly make me sick to my stomach. Not a dream scenario, but not horrendous.

The Brewers will not move Weeks to CF to accommodate a guy like Lopez.

Theres no way Lopez accepts Arby when theres no starting spot for him here.

Lopez will sign a 4 million $ deal to ride pine. His ceiling is not that high -- he is almost 30 -- he's probably not going to ever have a huge payday.

I do agree with those that think would have been better just to play Gamel fulltime.

Me too.

I am in favor.

Does Gamel spend the rest of the year in AAA until the September callups? Would he just get called back up again if another infielder is traded(Hardy)? Is there a time-limit on when you can get called up after a send-down? As in, can you get called up Monday and sent down Tuesday or vice versa? Man what's with all the questions? There I go again!

3TO Apostle

Lopez will sign a 4 million $ deal to ride pine. His ceiling is not that high -- he is almost 30 -- he's probably not going to ever have a huge payday.

Your opinion, not fact. I find it very, very hard to believe he won't decline arby to test the market. He can always get a 1 year deal for roughly that amount of money from pretty much any team at that point.

No more Jason Kendall leading off????!!!! Whatever will we do?!? Great trade for the line up... Sure we have other holes to fill. Melvin also gets to make a trade to help the OFFENSE and not the pitching as Braun said... I'm not saying that is the reason Doug Melvin did that, but I would smile if we rolled off a few wins and a lot of runs after this...

I think you have to stay down a minimum of 10 days unless there is an injury on the MLB club.

I think you're right on that. I remember when Bush went down last year we were in that situation. He was called up before 10 days though because of Gallardo getting injured.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Eh, Lopez still sorta sucks.

False. He's probably good for a .730-ish OPS, and there's a possibility that his last 500AB's represent a step forward. Not too bad for a versatile middle infielder that we got for very little, and probably a sandwich pick in return as well.

No, but it's in serious danger there because of the injuries to McGehee and Counsell that seem to be lingering. And Craig simply can't play this much and be expected to be useful later in the season.

Well what about Gamel, Heether, the Hurricane? Lopez isn't that great when there are options in-house.

Quick! Insert the name of someone at AAA that is almost certainly cheaper than Lopez!

Stop. You have the same opinion that prospects are too valued here. We get it. The fact is 2B and 3B isn't an issue. It just isn't. If Gillespie has value, why not use that for something to help the team? That's what I still don't get. This deal doesn't make the Brewers that much better. Sure rest Counsell, Casey, etc...we already had that option with a player with a better OPS. It's not about being cheaper...it's about not giving up players to get a player that most likely isn't going to match what internal options can. I don't think the cheap factor comes in at all when a rental trade is made. I'd rather rent a pitcher than an IF that isn't as good of a hitter compared to what we already have...that's just me though.

Archived