Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Felipe Lopez from Arizona for Cole Gillespie/Roque Mercedes, Gamel back to Nashville

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used wOBA specifically because it includes SB. A stat including SB should give him a higher value and be benificial to Lopez. It shows that even when including SB he is still a below average player. Couple that with a -15 defense in Dewan's plus/minus system(Durham was -11, Cano -17 for reference) and a career -.04 UZR/150 and he is probably about a replacement level player having a really good year. He is also -21 from 2006-2008 at 2B compared to -27 for Durham and -28 for Weeks in the plus/minus. Keep in mind that he spent a good deal of time at SS in those years and was in Michael Young territory at SS(FL -34, MY -33).

Mock wOBA and anything beyond basic stats if you it makes you eel better. However, at the very least look at the basic stats beyond just this year.

He may have been mediocre the past two or three seasons, but since he is playing well this season and only under contract for this season, it's a relatively moot point.

No, it isn't. Looking at previous year's stats will give you a much better picture of what a player should be expected to do. Looking at half a year and thinking a player will continue to perform at that level is wrong at best.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm not a huge fan of the trade. It doesn't do anything. It's sad when most comments are 'well now Mat can play AAA everyday'. He could've anyways. Just call up Heether. Bad trade IMO since we didn't really need to fill this position at all. This deal doesn't do a thing to help the Brewers chances IMO. It's not like Cole sucks or anything...the pick is nice, but Cole seems to be close to contributing. A draft pick may never make it that far.

You could say 2B and 3B have not been our weakness the last few months. How does this help the team? And no...the pick doesn't guarantee the player will be better than Cole. That is ridiculous to say. A high pick doesn't guarantee anything.

JJHardy7, you were just saying the Brewers should send Gamel down if he won't play every day. This trade accomplishes this.

Also, many were saying Counsell couldn't last a whole year starting at 2B, because of his knee issues. With this trade, this won't be an issue.

Really, this trade takes care of much of what was being complained about. Lopez isn't a world beater, but for half a season he will be a nice addition.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Come on...I was not carrying the flag of AVG and RBI on that one. He has a good OBP this year...isn't that supposed to be a valued stat as well?

I've never seen wOBA referenced before. You can work the numbers any way to make a point with any player, positive or negative. I doubt Doug Melvin was worried about his wOBA before making a deal.

Agreed. AVG and RBI are old school. I think they are still pertinent stats too albeit I like OPS the most. wOBA is interesting stat that is fun but by no means is it a specific reason to hate on a player. I'm sure Doug analyzed wOBA with a fine tooth comb though, Invader.

All jokes aside, I think this is a solid move. You get a leadoff guy that is pretty darn solid that bats from each side of the plate pretty equally. It also gets Mat sent down, which I believe is the right call. Hall will get his DFA soon enough. But I am thinking he may survive this season as every day passes.

So I guess we can infer from this that the current asking price for Davis is too high, or he would have been packaged with Lopez.

That seems to be correct. From Tom's blog:

Melvin said he tried to expand the deal to include a Diamondbacks pitcher, most likely lefty Doug Davis, but said general manager Josh Byrnes did not seem anxious to deal one.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/51144512.html

For those worried about losing Gillespie, dont. I could rattle off at least 5 guys in the system that can put up his production and probably be better outfielders. Heck there are two from this years draft, with one being an undrafted free agent.

The thing with Cole is that he only can play LF. Thats it. When you compare him and Fank Cat the big difference is that Catalantto can play both corner outfield spots which is important I think in a backup outfield spot. Plus Cat has had a very consistant and solid career. I liked Gillespie and was a little disappointed when I first saw that he was one of the guys we gave up but when you think about it how often would he play behind Braun in Left? Would the Brewers move Braun to right for the games they want Gillespie to play or would they move him to right full-time? I guess he just wasn't in the cards for the future.

I see that a lot of people don't really care for the trade that much and don't think it makes a difference but really it does. We need some consistancy in the order and especially at the top. Since Weeks went down how many different combos have we mixed together with the top two spots? Counsell Hardy, Counsell McGehee, Counsell, Hart, Counsell Cameron, Hart Hardy, Hart McGehee, Hart Counsell, McGehee Counsell, McGehee Hardy, Kendell Cameron, Kendell Counsell and etc.... with Lopez in the lineup everyday batting leadoff we now should have some consistancy in the lineup like we did with weeks. Mixing and matching the top to in the lineup everyday IMO doesn't help the offense out. Baseball players like routine and feel more comfortable staying in the same spot for more than one game.

I'm just hoping it works out this way. My biggest knock I have on Macha is how much he changes the lineup and order game to game. A guy like Hart can go from hitting first, to fifth, to second to sixth or seveth all in a span of 4 to 5 games. Let the guys get comfortable at a spot and maybe you might get some consistant production from the offense. That is all 100% IMO and you guys probably feel completely different about it

I sure hope there is another deal coming, Lopez is underwhelming and throwing away prospects for a minor upgrade doesn't do it for me.

Agreed.

Agreed. AND we get a first rounder next June? Sign me up.

I don't know why we would offer Lopez Arby's.

Lopez is already past arbitration. We don't have to offer him arby to get compensation for him.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

JJHardy7, you were just saying the Brewers should send Gamel down if he won't play every day. This trade accomplishes this.
This also could've been accomplished by simply adding Heether to the 40 man roster and sending Gamel down.

I don't know why we would offer Lopez Arby's.

Because curly fries are delicious.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Lopez is already past arbitration. We don't have to offer him arby to get compensation for him.

False.

Why in the world wouldn't they?

He is not very good at baseball, and we presumably have a healthy Weeks coming back. He's probably going to get a bump -- I'd wouldn't want him back at all.

I agree with the consensus that it was a good trade and that Gillespie was somewhat expendable. However, I want to go on record that you have not heard the last of Roque and my guess is that he was the one AZ wanted in the deal.

Roque has good command and keeps the ball down. I will be surprised if he does not make it as a MLB middle reliever some day.

He is not very good at baseball, and we presumably have a healthy Weeks coming back. He's probably going to get a bump -- I'd wouldn't want him back at all.

If he's due to get a bump, he'll be trying his hand at free agency and won't accept. Even if Weeks comes back and Lopez accepts for some reason, the Brewers still need versatile utility players, which Lopez is. And, he's posted .700+ OPS 5 of the last 6 seasons.

Also, many were saying Counsell couldn't last a whole year starting at 2B, because of his knee issues. With this trade, this won't be an issue.

Really, this trade takes care of much of what was being complained about. Lopez isn't a world beater, but for half a season he will be a nice addition.

I did say that, but we didn't need to give up something for that to happen. Counsell maybe won't last the whole year...you have Gamel, Heether, and the Hurricane. This team isn't losing because of 2B and 3B. That's my point. It's not a knock on Lopez...it just doesn't make the team better IMO. There are much bigger needs than creating depth where IMO there is already depth at the MLB and AAA level. And again, I wanted Gamel to play everyday...I'd rather have called up Heether than give up anything for a guy that might get us a sandwich pick who has no guarantee in terms of how good the player will be. This trade makes little sense IMO unless it has been made because another trade is going to be made. Then is makes a lot more sense.

This team isn't losing because of 2B and 3B.

No, but it's in serious danger there because of the injuries to McGehee and Counsell that seem to be lingering. And Craig simply can't play this much and be expected to be useful later in the season.

For those worried about losing Gillespie, dont. I could rattle off at least 5 guys in the system that can put up his production and probably be better outfielders. Heck there are two from this years draft, with one being an undrafted free agent.

Please rattle them off that are ready for AAA and can 'net' Lopez. I'm not knocking on Lopez...I'd rather trade Gillespie for a guy that we actually need on the team. 2B and 3B has not been a weakness and I could rattle off some obvious answers to cure any 'weakness' if there is one. A trade was not needed at all to address this. Gillespie may never have had a future in Milwaukee...that doesn't mean any trade he is in is 'fine'. You try to develop guys for the bigs and/or use them in trades.

I agree a ton with what trwi7 and ftj. The only way this trade makes sense is if there is another deal coming. I'd even argue we have bigger needs in terms of adding a backup OF before another IF. Lopez simply doesn't fit a need unless Hardy is going to be traded. The Brewers top prospect couldn't even get in the lineup to help the 'problem'. This seems very strange to me...I get the feeling another deal will be made soon.

Archived