Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Felipe Lopez from Arizona for Cole Gillespie/Roque Mercedes, Gamel back to Nashville

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lopez is far from great but I dont see how anyone can compare him to Kendall who hits about one ball per week out of the infield.

I feel bad for Gamel because I really feel like he was the best option but playing everyday in AAA is far better for Mat in the long run than rotting on the bench in Milwaukee.

I like the trade and personally think Gamel will get sent down til September and work on swinging the bat with two strikes on him. (Love Gamel but ughh so many backward K's, he hates the 2 strike inside pitches). That's what I think will happen but I'd really like them to cut ties with Billy in a trade or DFA and let him get a Brad Lidge new start. His future is no longer in Milwaukee, he's not doing us any good wasting away on the bench. I always liked Billy and hope a new start somewhere will help him out.

The best part of this trade is we may finally get some consistancy in the top of the order. We have missed that since Weeks got hurt. Everyday the top two hitters get mixed all around and I dont think that helps the offense.

He is almost .20 better each year than Kendall in OBA, so it is not as close as you make it out to be.
Ok, he about as good a hitter as Counsell. Without the split so he isn't even a good platoon player like Counsell is.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

His future is no longer in Milwaukee, he's not doing us any good wasting away on the bench. I always liked Billy and hope a new start somewhere will help him out.

Me too...he's honestly still my second favorite Brewer behind Braun, mainly because he was one of the bright spots of the rebuilding years of '04-'06. Still, I know he shouldn't be starting for this team anymore. Ideally, I hope he gets traded for some place where he can play every day and re-establish himself as a solid player.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

WOBA? I'm sorry, but what the hell is WOBA? I get tired of third tier stats getting pulled out around here to rip on various players.

You mean stats that are more meaningful than things like AVG, RBI etc? Bit confused by calling it a 3rd tier stat.

It is basically just an improved OPS that is scaled to the same general scale as OBP. It also includes SB/CS and it isn't corrected for park/league I don't believe which probably helps Lopez a bit since the nats park was a pitchers park.

Come on...I was not carrying the flag of AVG and RBI on that one. He has a good OBP this year...isn't that supposed to be a valued stat as well?

I've never seen wOBA referenced before. You can work the numbers any way to make a point with any player, positive or negative. I doubt Doug Melvin was worried about his wOBA before making a deal.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yep, Gamel down.

"We still like Mat a lot," said GM Doug Melvin. "It will be better for him to go down and play every day. He wouldn't play with Lopez here.

I guess Hall stays as the pinch hitter.

I just got home from out of town all weekend check my email and I got an alert from brewers.com about the move, I was pleasantly surprised. Lopez should be a nice leadoff hitter and plays a good 2B. Now McGehee should get almost all the starts at 3B and Counsell can come off the bench. I also like the corresponding move of Gamel going down to get everyday PT. Thank you Doug Melvin.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

WOBA? I'm sorry, but what the hell is WOBA? I get tired of third tier stats getting pulled out around here to rip on various players.
If you use FanGraphs to check player values, you're using wOBA. wOBA is basically a properly weighted OBP, and it's even right around the same scale. To call it "third tier" seems pretty dismissive; it's definately been used on these boards before.

Edit: Not trying to pile on, I'm just slow http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

either way, we should get a pick for him at the end of the year

Exactly. And since he'll likely be type B, that should be a near certainty. Grabbing a supplemental first will get us a prospect that will likely be better than Gillespie was.

So the Brewers trade away outfield depth

Except that Gillespie can only play LF, and when you consider that his arm strength is pathetic, he's really only an OF because there's no place else for him to be. And guys better than Gillespie can typically be found for a song if we really need OF depth (see Catalanotto, Frank).

You don't know what WOBA is??? I'll fill you in...make up an acronym, tie some numbers to it and pretend you know what you are talking about. No one will question you because they don't want to look stupid. For instance, OPSDGWS (on base % plus slugging in day games with shadows). Very important stat.

The problem is who comes up if Braun or Hart gets injured now? Sure Cat will play against RHP but who would platoon with him? 2B has to be the deepest part of the club with Heether and Iribarren in AAA. Gillespie isn't great shakes but the Brewers are thin in OF right now. Not a huge deal but getting Lopez isn't a huge upgrade either. EDIT: Just so its here Lopez's ROS ZiPS: .282/.350/.391

The problem is who comes up if Braun or Hart gets injured now? Sure Cat will play against RHP but who would platoon with him? 2B has to be the deepest part of the club with Heether and Iribarren in AAA. Gillespie isn't great shakes but the Brewers are thin in OF right now.

Katin is most likely, and probably would have gotten the call over Gillespie anyway in that situation.

You don't know what WOBA is??? I'll fill you in...make up an acronym, tie some numbers to it and pretend you know what you are talking about. No one will question you because they don't want to look stupid. For instance, OPSDGWS (on base % plus slugging in day games with shadows). Very important stat.

Lol, I LOVE it! I feel the same way. I consider myself a stat guy and care a lot about the major ones like Average, OPS, and stuff like that but I hate when people throw out all these more complexed stats with ton of things thrown together to eighter make them seem smarter or try to make a bigger bang in a stat arguement. Idk why but I don't pay attention to those stats. maybe I should but oh well.

I'm not sure how much of a difference maker it will be to have Lopez on the field vs the random assortment of other players that have been trotted out this season, but it is a notice to the fans (and maybe players with no trade clauses) that the Crew are not sellers, and to the deputies in the clubhouse that the Sheriff is awake.

You don't know what WOBA is??? I'll fill you in...make up an acronym, tie some numbers to it and pretend you know what you are talking about. No one will question you because they don't want to look stupid

Not understanding something doesn't mean it isn't valuable. Even 5 years ago we had people saying this same thing about OPS like people were insane for using it.

Any stat you want to pull out involving him suggests he has been a mediocre player at best for a large chunk of the last 3 seasons so of course people aren't going to be too excited.

There is always a chance that the last 500 PA is a new baseline of course, if it is then the deal looks a lot better. Thats not to suggest the deal is bad btw, just not something that helps the team a ton. Maybe a 1 win deal for us when we probably need more than that.

Archived