Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Felipe Lopez from Arizona for Cole Gillespie/Roque Mercedes, Gamel back to Nashville

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what this means for everyone else in the infield, however I wouldn't mind Gamel going back down to get regular AB's, and Counsell platooning or splitting time with McGehee at 3b. Then Lopez is everyday 2b and leadoff hitter.
I'd have to think this is the case unless Doug Melvin is on the other line with Dayton Moore of the Kansas City Royals about to send Bill Hall to KC.......

I like Gillespie but I think this was a good overall value considering we will likely get a sandwich pick as well. Half a year of Lopez and a sandwich pick is worth a guy who projects at best probably as a 4th OF'er and a low-ball reliever.

I have to say Im impressed. I dont particularly think we need Lopez as Counsell has been solid but we really didnt give up much and we will most likely get a draft pick when he leaves. There really is no downside to this trade whatsoever.
Craig's been solid for sure, but I know I keep wondering how long his knee is going to hold up. So I for one welcome our new leadoff-hitting overlord.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've actually been advocating this move to many of my friends and co-workers recently (even moving Cole Gillespie), so I'll have a little extra bragging rights for a couple days...

Anyway, the Brewers have an accomplished leadoff hitter and an everyday 2B. Hopefully this means Mat Gamel has a certain future somewhere - I have to imagine he's back at AAA. This means McGehee or Counsell become valuable bench players depending on who starts at 3B. I like the move a lot.

Useless move, as Mat Gamel gets pushed aside with this. Counsel didn't need a platoon partner, he'd needed to be benched.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Useless move, as Mat Gamel gets pushed aside with this. Counsel didn't need a platoon partner, he'd needed to be benched.
Gamel was already pushed aside by Ken Macha, who seemed reluctant to play him at all, even playing Hall over him. And Counsell will be mostly off the bench now, because Lopez doesn't have bad splits vs. righties. He will likely be everyday 2b and leadoff hitter. This is anything but a useless move. Gamel might as well play somewhere if Macha won't play him on a regular basis.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I like the move assuming Gamel is getting sent down since he isn't playing anyway.

I've always liked Lopez and i think he'll be solid in the lead off spot. This will hopefully lead to a Lopez, Hardy, Braun, Fielder top 4 of the lineup for the rest of the season.

This team still needs a healthy Bush and/or a trade for a solid reliever to have a legit shot at the playoffs. I like the move though.

Is there any validation for playing Hall at all anymore?

Lopez will play everyday at 2nd. Hardy everyday at SS. And, McGehee everyday at 3B with Counsell backing up all three.

Just break free. We won't need Hall next year either. We'll have Weeks, Hardy, Escobar, McGehee and Gamel.

Is there any validation for playing Hall at all anymore?

Lopez will play everyday at 2nd. Hardy everyday at SS. And, McGehee everyday at 3B with Counsell backing up all three.

Just break free. We won't need Hall next year either. We'll have Weeks, Hardy, Escobar, McGehee and Gamel.

Really the only reason he's still on the roster is his contract, which doesn't matter anyway because I doubt he'll contribute anything to this team in the next 2 years. But, that's the justification for Melvin to keep him.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived