Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 5th OF WOAHS

bobskube
He was cut by the phillies in spring training, according to his wiki page.

That's correct. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't found a job anywhere. If he never plays in MLB again, at least he got to go out on top, winning a World Series ring.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Gerut's the type of guy who should be playing 3-5 days a week. Braun is never going to sit, Cam should sit once a week, and Hart has been just mediocre enough that Macha hasn't completely lost confidence in him. One could certainly argue that a straight platoon between Hart and Gerut (Hart getting roughly 70% of the starts) with Gerut also spelling Cam once a week would get Gerut enough at bats, but it's obvious Macha doesn't see it that way.

Geruts OPS was just slightly lower than Fielder and Brauns last year, and he did that hitting in the best pitchers park in baseball. He was worth more Wins than Fielder. He's not useless, he's just been grossly mis-used. Catalanato has been bad, and has no upside. He should never start ahead of Gerut.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I can't say I'm unhappy with Gerut, anything can happen in 40 AB's. Braun is about 4-his last 40 as well. That's why they call it a small sample. Brad's was small as well, but he looked lost, and when you're a fringe big leaguer at best, you don't get many chances.

My biggest concern or frustration with Gerut isn't as much his actual results as it is how generally poor he's looked at the plate. Sometimes hitters go through rough stretches with little production, but there is some bad luck mixed in with hard hit balls finding gloves. Gerut though has looked as lost as Nelson did. Lots of swinging at bad pitches and weekly hit balls.

My biggest concern or frustration with Gerut isn't as much his actual results as it is how generally poor he's looked at the plate. Sometimes hitters go through rough stretches with little production, but there is some bad luck mixed in with hard hit balls finding gloves. Gerut though has looked as lost as Nelson did. Lots of swinging at bad pitches and weekly hit balls.
Gerut's ball in play and plate discipline stats don't really back up looking lost. He has a 17.8% line-drive percent which is pretty much in line with his 18.6% career average as are his GB% and FB% numbers. His plate discipline numbers are actually slightly better than his career numbers and very much in line with his numbers from 2008. The problem that I see is the BABIP of .207.

Gerut's ball in play and plate discipline stats don't really back up looking lost. He has a 17.8% line-drive percent which is pretty much in line with his 18.6% career average as are his GB% and FB% numbers. His plate discipline numbers are actually slightly better than his career numbers and very much in line with his numbers from 2008. The problem that I see is the BABIP of .207.
I think that includes his Padres stats since his Brewers stats are awful.

I looked at every one of his plate appearances since the trade on gameday. This is how they were classified.

6 strikeouts

12 groundouts

3 grounded into double plays (so 15 total groundouts)

8 popouts

3 lineouts

2 flyouts

1 sac fly

4 singles

3 walks

And he's averaging a pathetic 3.23 pitches per plate appearance. He's been as awful as his numbers have looked.

The problem that I see is the BABIP of .207.

That's likely to happen when you hit weak grounders to second on a routine basis.

That said, Gerut does have upside, but as is commonly the theme for this year's Brewers' bench, it's awfully hard to get into any kind of rhythm when you get around 1AB/week. If Catalanotto PHs ahead of Gamel on Macha's list, Gerut doesn't stand a chance. I don't know that I'd start Gerut three times a week, but Hart definitely hasn't shown the need to start everyday, and Cameron could use a day off here and there, so Gerut should have more than 40 PAs in the time since the trade.

As was stated, if you are young-ish and don't produce in your first 10 or so ABs, you are going to be on Macha's "do not play" list.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

We should just bite the bullet with Gerut. We don't need any mistakes on our roster.

Well if that's the case, the Bill Hall bullet should be bitten well in advance of Jody Gerrut's. That contract which is currently making Doug Melvin's life extremely difficult as he loosk for ways to improve the team, clearly tops the mistake list.

Archived