Brewer Fanatic

Brewers 5th OF WOAHS

bobskube

I know 5th outfielders generally are not key factors with most teams, but I cannot believe how horrendous ours have been.

Brad Nelson- 0 for 21

Jody Gerut- 4 for 40 with zero extra base hits.

4 for 61. Didn't Looper get 3 hits last night? Does anyone have any solutions to this?

Edit: that's not how we spell "woes" 'round here - MSC.

I would like to start a petition to get the title of the thread changed to WOAHs. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm not sure what solution we could have other than possibly DFAing Gerut and calling up someone from Nashville.

I can't say I'm unhappy with Gerut, anything can happen in 40 AB's. Braun is about 4-his last 40 as well. That's why they call it a small sample. Brad's was small as well, but he looked lost, and when you're a fringe big leaguer at best, you don't get many chances.

Getting 1 AB every three days is a tough job for a young guy who's used to/needs to get regular playing time. If you can't find a way to get them more regular AB's, it is a difficult role to pick up via on the job training.

Getting 1 AB every three days is a tough job for a young guy who's used to/needs to get regular playing time. If you can't find a way to get them more regular AB's, it is a difficult role to pick up via on the job training.
This is the big leagues though. You have to perform or pay the price if you are a fringe player. I can't remember Gerut ever hitting a ball hard. Lots of early swings and weakly hit grounders.

TG in San Diego .300/.375/.769 and in 192 PAs he's GDP once.

JG in Milwaukee .103/.163/.265 and in 43 PAs he's GDP 3 times.

I'd say one guy has been useful and one useless.

Formerly AKA Pete

I'd say one guy has been mediocre in fulltime play and one has so few AB we don't know anything about them. Given the playtime issues here their career numbers are almost certainly better indicators than this small random sample of PA.

I wouldn't call that mediocre. I'd say the sample of regular playing time is a lot better indicator than rookie ball stats or a bunch of cups of coffee in the majors. I'm not really knocking JG - he is having a hard time with PHing which isn't unusual, but I don't buy the notion that Gwynn is an awful baseball player.

Padres fans are also pretty positive about TG's defense.

Formerly AKA Pete

I think one of the early misses of the sabermetric movement was the actual difficulty of coming off the bench. This is a sport based all on timing on the offensive side. One where guys spend years of their lives grinding it out everyday and then suddenly the big shot comes and they have to wait days in between ABs? I can believe that veteran bench guys have an edge in having learned how to handle that, but it is still a challenge in the best of circumstances. I think Macha's biggest weakness has been figuring out a system where he can keep guys fresh and regular playing time. Your fate literally seems to have rested on your first 10 ABs make a good showing and you'll be part of the regular pinch hitting and spot start club. Don't any you'll be relegated to the end of the bench where you'll likely do worse as you get fewer and fewer ABs. I really can't claim to understand or see how Macha has tried to maximize his bench at all other than trying to juggle playing time for hot bats.

I like Gerrut and think he has some potential, so I would be happy to keep him around, but if the Brewers do make a significant move for pitching, I would probably also look at trading Gerrut and Hall for an overpaid RH hitting outfielder with a bad contract. Is there an overpaid CFer out there with a bad contract? Not Vernon Wells bad, but something comparable to Hall.? That would give them some coverage out there next year depending on what happens with Cameron, and would fill the RH PH roll that Bill Hall cannot.

I'd say one guy has been mediocre in fulltime play and one has so few AB we don't know anything about them. Given the playtime issues here their career numbers are almost certainly better indicators than this small random sample of PA.

I don't know that I'd call Gwynn's results mediocre, that OPS is better than Corey Hart's so far this year.

Gwynn is what many thought he would be, a guy who gets on base at a decent clip, plays good defense, and has little power. I'm not going to worry about losing him unless the Brewers can't find a CF next year if Cam is gone. Gerut never plays so I wouldn't even compare Gwynn and Gerut yet because of that small sample. As someone else said Braun is 4/40 as well and I don't think anyone wants to cut him.

That's pretty good if we've gotten to the point that we are now complaining about production from our 5th outfielder...

TGJ's Career Minor League Line

2697 PAs, .275/.349/.345/.694

Gerut's Career Major League Line

1785 PAs, .263/.327/.434/.762

I'll take a guy with the higher OPS in the majors over a significant amount of PAs any day of the week and twice on sundays.

I'll take a guy with the higher OPS in the majors over a significant amount of PAs any day of the week and twice on sundays.
I tend to agree. (Unless the minor league guy is like 17 years old and already in AAA or something.) I think that when Gwynn's career is over, nobody will regret that he wasn't a long-time Brewer.

Gerut's at-bats have been terrible. Getting behind 0-2 and then chopping one to 2nd seems to be his M.O. He has definitely earned that 4-40.

But as others have noted, burying him because of 40 bad PA's is not wise at all. Sitting Hart or Cameron against a tough RH when the situation arises would be an ideal time for Gerut to get some starts.

Gwynn is what many thought he would be, a guy who gets on base at a decent clip, plays good defense, and has little power

He is a guy with an abnormally high BABIP, basically no power and pretty good defense~. Seriously once the BABIP drops back down 40 points you have a .275/.340/.350 type player and that is giving him credit for keeping the improved BB/9 and ISO he has so far this year.

Archived