Brewer Fanatic

2008 2nd round RHP Cody Adams suspended 50 games

trwi7

Brewer Fanatic Staff

So he went on the disabled list earlier, but we're told there wasn't an injury. Then he comes back, and there's a mysterious pitch count situation for someone who wasn't injured.

I'm sure there is a lapse from the time a hint of a positive test comes out and MiLB crosses the T's and dots the I's on a suspension.

Right now Adams is approaching Josh Murray territory as the worst 2nd round pick of the Jack Z. era. Ridiculous.

You're right Jim, I forgot about the act of finality the announcement of the actual suspension is. I don't think I've ever heard of any of these official announcements being redacted. If the info is out, it appears that any and all appeals on the players behalf are over with.

Adams has already out-performed Josh Murray though. The only way he can surpass him if he somehow brings others down with him.

I'm trying to think of a way he could have been more underwhelming off the start. He looked tentative on the mound, wasn't throwing anywhere near as hard as his pre draft readings, and now this. Cripes.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Salome came out of his suspension fine. While stupid, this has been going on in baseball for decades, and was played for humor in Ball Four.

It is astounding these guys can't just take a couple caffeine pills and wash it down with an energy drink, but we talking about immature kids here.

Salome came out of his suspension fine. While stupid, this has been going on in baseball for decades, and was played for humor in Ball Four.

It is astounding these guys can't just take a couple caffeine pills and wash it down with an energy drink, but we talking about immature kids here.

The thing is - at this point, it could be an energy drink picked up from 7-11 or a supplement from the local GNC.

I wonder if they have overcompensated.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
So he went on the disabled list earlier, but we're told there wasn't an injury. Then he comes back, and there's a mysterious pitch count situation for someone who wasn't injured.

I'm sure there is a lapse from the time a hint of a positive test comes out and MiLB crosses the T's and dots the I's on a suspension.

An astute reader and longtime fan and ticket holder of the Rattlers has reminded me that Cody Adams was on the disabled list to work with Wisconsin pitching coach Chris Hook on some new mechanics in his delivery. They did not send him out to Arizona to do this because Hook has been the one working with him this season.
Adams also went from May 25 to June 11 without pitching in a game. So he was not going to be going back to 75-100 pitches a game right away. He was working his way back up to that level with each start since.

I tend to rant and speculate a bit after disheartening Brewer losses and jumping online here. My mentioning of Adams' mysterious absence and pitch count level upon his return seemingly had nothing to do with his testing or suspension, I now agree.

I realize this sheds no new light on Adams' suspension, but was worth clarifying.

We can choose to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. But we don't have to.

He is the one who screwed up. He is the one who is serving the suspension.

And so he is the one who deserves all the ire we care to give him.

I'm going to assume he's an idiot and a cheater until there is evidence to suggest he is not.

It's interesting to me that the backlash for this doesn't seem to come close to what Jeffress saw after his first reported failed test. At least you can argue Jeffress isn't attempting to gain an edge on the competition.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It's interesting to me that the backlash for this doesn't seem to come close to what Jeffress saw after his first reported failed test. At least you can argue Jeffress isn't attempting to gain an edge on the competition.
I would say that has more to do with the expectations for Jeffress with his big arm compared to Adams who has been very disappointing. If this would have been Zach Braddock than there would have been a lot of backlash.

I think some of the lack of backlash stems from the type of agent used. You use a performance enhancer, and you are perceived as cheating, but trying to get a leg up on the competition. You use recreational drugs, and you are using something that neither betters or alters your performance (presumably) but you are still jeopardizing your future. At least that is how I perceive it.

But I agree the other component is the fact that JJ has outstanding stuff and did have stretches of brilliance only make it worse. Cody was viewed as a 'set up' reliever from the scouting reports, and his performancy in 1+ years has left a lot to be desired as well.

I am not making any determinations yet. It is true, if these guys drink a RED BULL or take a NO DOZE they can fail a test. Granted, it is extreme, but it is a reality. Amphetamines have always been huge in this game...just think back to the "greenies" from the 70's or Keith Hernandez & Company in the cocaine scandal of the late 80's. What is scary is if a kid is taking medication for ADD or ADHD. If they are not cleared by the league...there's potential trouble on the horizon.

None of us know for sure about Adams, yet. I certainly hope it was a dumb mistake, not a long term issue like we are going through with JJ. Only time will tell.

If it's just a dumb mistake than you'd have to assume the kid has no IQ what so ever after all the Jeffress stuff. These kids make insane amounts of money coming out of high school and college when they sign. With the amount of money that is on the line there is no such thing as an honest or dumb mistake. That's why these guys have agents and the team to help them out with these types of things. They don't even have to do it all themselves when they are picking out what to take and not to take.

Archived