Brewer Fanatic

2009-07-17 Brewers (Suppan) at Cincinnati (Arroyo) : 6:10 PM CT [Brewers lose, 4-0]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't argue with that call. Cameron is having a night to forget.
Sure you can, they were not getting a DP anyway, so what did Cameron interfere with?

In an interference call does that matter though? Cam is having a forgettable night, the amount of base running blunders he has had this year is starting to get maddening.

I'm pissed at Braun for swinging at the first pitch after Arroyo loads the bases with a walk. He's some kind of awful right now.
He's 1-3 and should have had an RBI ground out. He partly did his job there, but Cameron made a very dumb mistake.

Here's the rule:

If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire shall call the runner out for interference and also call out the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate. In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of such action by a runner.

It was a BS call, #1 there was not going to be a DP, #2 that call is never made when a runner slides...even when he slides late.

Reread the rule, Jeffy. Cameron's intent was to break up the double play. That means when interference is called it is a DP. Whether they would have gotten the out at first is immaterial. Be mad at Cameron, not the ump. He got it right.

Jeffy is still right in arguing that the call is almost never made. Didn't see it, but it better have been pretty egregious, considering it took at least one run off the board.
Cameron wound up closer to the grass in LF than 2nd base. It was not even close.

It's interference because of where Cameron started his slide. If you slide to the base it is okay. Cameron started his slide on top of the base and went 5 or 6 feet past it to get the fielder. It was an obvious call. The fact that there was no chance to get Braun at first doesn't make any difference. It was a bonehead play by Cameron. A veteran should know better than that. Most high school players know better than that.

Thanks for the advice, but I'll stick with being mad at the ump, until I see that this is going to now suddenly be consistently called whenever a player trys to break up a double play. That idiot "by the book" ump decided to give the Brewers two outs in that inning over a routine late slide into second base on a non-double play ball.

I would also question whether one can intend to break up an event that is not going to occur.

OKAY MACHA. what do you do with a line-up that banged out 14 hits? well obviously, you change it.

tomorrow is game #91, and I don't know what the line-up is going to be. that's messed up.

stick Hardy in the 2-hole, okay? leave him there for a week. they're creatures of habit.

find a line-up already; geez, it's July.

Archived