Brewer Fanatic

Any suggestions on shipping a TV?

jjkoestler

I am moving to Alaska in about a month, and I cannot fathom abandoning my 42 inch flat screen. I don't think I can go back to playing videogames and watching sports on a smaller, non-hd tv. Has anyone ever shipped a TV this large? If so, what service did you use? USPS? UPS? FedEx? Did you have any problems shipping it? Cost?

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I am moving to Alaska in about a month, and I cannot fathom abandoning my 42 inch flat screen. I don't think I can go back to playing videogames and watching sports on a smaller, non-hd tv. Has anyone ever shipped a TV this large? If so, what service did you use? USPS? UPS? FedEx? Did you have any problems shipping it? Cost?

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

It is going to cost a lot to ship to Alaska plus with the TV being a heavy object it is going to cost even more. UPS or FedEx are probably the way I would go with something as heavy as a TV and as fragile as a TV even though I know first hand how things get loaded in a UPS truck. Not very pretty. I suggest a very heavy duty box because it is going to get thrashed around and lots of bubble wrap. Do you have the original TV box still? If you do you could reuse the styrofoam that came with it and package that into a box. Also make sure you get insurance on the TV this is a must. Nothing worse than having a busted TV and no way to replace it if it does get damaged in transit.

Agreed. Packing and shipping will be very costly with a real possibility that it could end up broken.

I would look to sell your tv and buy a new one once you reach your destination.

I would look to sell your tv and buy a new one once you reach your destination.

This is probably the most realistic option right here. As someone who used to work at an electronics store, I can tell you that the chances of your TV arriving damaged via UPS or FedEx are probably pretty high.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

i would drive it up there myself. TV in the box get's the whole back seat with every pillow/blanket back there for protection

^^^

+1

Ship your clothes and knick-knacks, drive the television. If that isn't an option, I would first look to see what you could sell it for with the intent of buying a new one up there and then after that look at shipping it FedEx or UPS.

I don't know about you, but I kept the original box and styrafoam from my 40" LCD for this exact purpose. Even if I only have to move it 20 miles, I want it in that box and protected. If you have to ship it, bubble-wrap the snot out of it and certainly buy shipping insurance.

Thanks in advance.

-Justin

First off, plasma or lcd? If it is a plasma, dont even try it. You have to keep it at 15 degrees of vertical at all times or your tv is toast. LCD, going to cost more than its worth. Hit up Craigslist and dump it. Get a new LED tv once you get to Alaska.

Archived