Brewer Fanatic

Bat Speed

sbrylski

I'm not sure how they'd qualify it, for elite players it's pretty obvious to the naked eye. I guess they could do it with high speed cameras, but since every player's loading mechanism is different, when the does the swing technically start? When the bat starts down? Seems like there's quite a bit wiggle room here, sort of like total zone for minor league defense. Are we talking maximum bat velocity only? Time in the hitting zone? The entire swing in general? For maximum bat velocity it would be tough to get the bat speed... a gun would likely pick up the ball moving past as well, they'd have to take max effort swings against air, which may or may not be how hard they swing in a live game situation.

Not a bad scouting idea though.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The only thing I've seen is batted ball velocity. Never seen actual 'bat speed' measured.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I believe that hit f/x only tracks the initial velocity of the ball off the bat:

http://www.fangraphs.com/...php/the-start-of-hit-fx/

I would think they could pick up bat speed if they wanted to.

Don't we care most about the velocity of the bat when it's likely to make contact with the bat? Whether a player has a long swing seems secondary to me.

Archived