Brewer Fanatic

"This one counts"...yea or nay?

brewtown82

so does the HFA really matter?

In a short series, it might matter less, but I think it's unquestionable that the HFA matters. It makes my brain cramp to think about how one would have to go about trying to figure out the impact of HFA in the short series format of the postseason.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If anything there should be no DH all the timefor the all star game. They have 36 players on the rosters for these games. The NL had 14 pitchers and the AL 12. Why in the world have a DH. Without it the pitchers are going to be pinch hit for just about every time they come up as happened in this year's game.

Of course, I'd be in favor of no DH in MLB at all.

In a short series, it might matter less, but I think it's unquestionable that the HFA matters.

I agree -- A HFA may be overridden by a dominant pitcher -- but I think there is no question a HFA exists -- It probably is overstated though.

To me, the argument begins and ends with, the idea of how awesome and electric winning a Game 7 in Milwaukee would be.

I seem to recall that the home team wins about 54% vs. 46% on the road. So in a 7 game series the team with HFA would be expected to win 3.54 games vs. 3.46 for the other team, so that is only a 2.3% difference.

In a 6 game or 4 game series it should not matter at all. In a 5 game series the advantage goes to the other team with 2.54 expected wins vs. 2.46...a 3.3% difference the other way. But, of course, the odds of one team winning 4 of 5 are pretty small.

I don't know how you figure out the probablility of winning 4 games, but I think the difference that having 4 vs. 3 at home would be pretty small.

I don't really care but there should be a DH no matter what.

Absolutely, with pitching this good, and so many great hitters to choose from, this is the only time I really like the DH. It's a good way to make sure deserving hitters get an AB.

I think HFA should be determined by the cumulative league records in interleague play

This is also an idea I favor. When the "it counts" policy was introduced I laughed at the prospect of a Kansas City reliever striking out a hitter from the Pirates with the bases loaded to clinch home field for Boston over LA.

Actually, not having a DH is a better way to ensure more players getting an AB. Without a DH there will likely be a different hitter batting every time the pitcher's spot comes up, with a DH you might see the same guy get 2-3 ABs as DH.

Are you DH fans under the mistaken impression that pitchers get a lot of ABs in an all-star game? Typically they never bat because they are not going to pitch for more than 1-2 innings and there is a huge bench full of players that can pinch hit for them.

Archived