Brewer Fanatic

France Vacation

bensheeps

My son, wife, and I leave for France in the morning. After being in attendance for the heart-breaking losses on Thursday and Friday; figure our schedule couldn't have worked out better to take a week off from watching the Crew.

Everyone here play nice as this will still be the first place I look at when we find wi-fi.

I'm so jealous. Paris is great. There is access to the subway every couple blocks which helps a lot since the city is hard to get your bearings in. If you climb the Eiffel tower you will see why. I don't think there is a road longer than two blocks.

Don't pour your own wine in the nicer restaurants. It's considered an insult to the waiter.

If you go to the Louvre you can find VIP passes in the gift shop that allows you to bypass the usually very long lines waiting to get in. They also allow you to get into other museums in the city. I forget what they are called but if you see a long line go to the gates at the front and there will be a sign that says this entrance for _____ passes only. Go to the gift shop and ask for it. They really aren't all the expensive either.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Just finishing up night number 1. This is my wife and mine 3rd trip to Paris leading groups of students. My 11 year old passed day one at the Louvre just fine. Tomorrow is sight seeing around the city and then its off to the Normandy region (something I enjoy much more than Paris itself)

Back home tonight after a full day of travel. The final leg, the flight from Chicago to Milwaukee offered up a nice bonus. Sitting in front of us was Negro League Hall of Famer Carl Long on his way to sign autographs and throw out the first pitch at Friday night's game. My son and I spent the 40 minute flight talking baseball with him and listening to him tell stories about Willie Mays and Satchell Paige. Sam listened intently and Mr. Long ended up giving Sam a signed baseball card and allowing us to take a picture of the two of them as we came off the terminal gate.

Archived