Brewer Fanatic

Where is Braun in top 50?

Kricket755

www.fangraphs.com

Fangraphs is doing an ongoing relase of the top 50 players in baseball as related to their trade value. This evaluation includes present and future performance as well as the salary and amount of time the player is under control of a team. I realize that while there is analysis put into the list, it is still extremely opinion based. It has already been sated that Santana, A-rod, and Teixera are not on the list. Prince came in at #50. Any guesses as to where Braun places? I am going to put him at 6 as there is definately a short of potential guys ahead of him. I think Longoria, Justin Upton, Hanley, Mauer, and Lincecum are the top 5, not tin that order. I would think Pujols is up there, but with the premium on salaray, I am thinking maybe not.

Votto is older than Braun.
Ok I should have said that better, guys with more service time left than Braun. Fielder is a great example of a very young player who is going to lose value in this because he came up so young.

Since Braun was in AAA until June in 07 and had less than a year service time, I dont think the service time is too far apart for him and Votto. And Braun already has his extension which definately puts him up another notch, imo. Actually, Braun might be ahead of Mauer since Mauer only has 2 years left before free agency. Kershaw is an interesting one. I don't think Hanson has shown enough at the big league level yet, though.

I think Evan Longoria = #1. I would put Braun probably around #5. My top 5 would be something like this:

1. Evan Longoria

2. Hanley Ramirez

3. Tim Lincecum

4. Joe Mauer

5. Ryan Bruan

I don't think Justin Upton should be top 5. He is have a really nice year this season, and he is young, but Braun is only a couple of years older and 2 years more "proven" yet still VERY cheap. I think that filling out the top 10 would be some of the more established veterans like Pujols, Santana, etc. because their salaries are up there.

Longoria hasn't done enough for me to put him #1. I mean he is a nice player overall but he hasn't even posted a .900 OPS yet. Probably comes down to service time which I don't know the values for by heart though.

I would think Gallardo needs to make the top 30 given some of the other names I've seen.

Gallardo is either in the top 20 or somehow completely missed the list, my guess is top 20.

He didn't make the 16-20 list so now my guess is they left him out of the top 50 which seems just utterly silly. There is no way we would trade Gallardo for say Jered Weaver or Josh Beckett (signed through 2010) as an example.

All the way through #11 and no Gallardo. I can't believe he isnt in the top 50 after seeing a few of the other names on there. I am going to throw this out for what I think the top 10 will be, and not necessarily what I think it is.

10. Utley- Getting closer to FA (I don't believe he has an extension yet)

9. Votto- Not enough prolonged success to be higher

8. Pujols- I dont see him any higher seeing as noone else close to his salary is up here

7. McCann- Younger than Mauer, controlled through at least 2012 I believe

6. Wright- The D makes him a safe pick and he is still under control for awhile

5. Braun- The contract he has makes me want to slide him up, but I wouldnt know who else to drop

4. Hanley- Maybe Hanley's inconsistent defensive metrics while let Braun slide ahead of him

3. Upton- Fangraphs let this kid, and there is alot to love. Apparently, just keep him out of LF.

2. Lincecum- While his likely record setting Arby numbers won't make him super cheap, still under control for long enough to make him almost untouchable.

1. Longoria- The contract and the plus defense make even his floor look like a pretty good deal.

#8: Ryan Braun, LF, Milwaukee: 3.0 WAR

You don't find many 25-year-olds with 1,500 career plate appearances and a .400 career wOBA. Braun is a classic middle of the order monster at the plate with easy power to spare. He's making strides in improving his pitch recognition and should match last year's walk total in the next couple of weeks. After showing he didn't belong at third base, he's become a decent enough defender in left. Oh, and he won't make an eight figure salary until 2014.

#9: Tim Lincecum, RHP, San Francisco: 5.3 WAR

501 career innings, 2.76 career FIP. He's on his way to a second straight Cy Young award and should destroy the previous record for first year arbitration eligible pitcher salary if the Giants can't lock him up long term this winter, even as a super-two. He's improved his previously poor command to the point that it's hardly an issue anymore, and his strikeout rate has actually risen from his rookie season despite a two mph drop in fastball velocity. The inherent risk with all pitchers keeps him below the eight premium bats ahead of him, but he'd command more in trade than any pitcher on earth.

So the top 5 are all hitters.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived