Brewer Fanatic

Hall says that he's still the best 3B in the league

"I feel like with the way things are going, they don't have any confidence in me. I feel like I can do nothing to help this team right now."
If he doesn't feel like he can do anything to help the team, then give the money back, retire, or shut up. Those are the options. Well, that or play better. There's always that.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to agree. Is he actually complaining about his lack of a role on this team or am I misreading that?

At most, I only detected a hint of that. Honestly, I've been feeling bad for Hall for a while now... his body language in recent weeks/months just makes these comments not too surprising.

"People always look at salaries and they don't ever look at the human aspect of it. Everyone needs support, especially in difficult situations. The average fan looks at it as you're supposed to get through that because you make a lot of money, but you never know what someone is going through. We're just supposed to be like these machines."

I think this is something that's easy to overlook as fans. My heart goes out to Billy.

"It's really difficult when you feel like everybody's lost confidence in you," Hall said. "People tell you (negative) things so many times and you start to believe it yourself, and that's what I'm fighting with.

Jeez. Bill Hall... he wins games, right? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

"More so than baseball players, we're still men," Hall said. "To be put in those situations, you kind of don't feel treated like you're a man, not knowing your role on the team. I don't have a designated role."

It really might be time for the Brewers & Hall to part ways. I can't fault him for feeling like, 'What am I doing here?' (though I think his 'treat me like a man' comments are off-base... isn't being treated like a man not getting coddled? Oh well) He hardly gets used at all anymore, and given Macha's comments, nothing will change any time soon --

"He's part of the team still," manager Ken Macha said. "But there's other guys that have performed better, so I have to put the best lineup out there.

"He's had quite a few at-bats and the opportunity to put his name in the lineup.?.?.?. Casey McGehee and Counsell have gone out there and done it.

"This is a game of production, and if we don't produce as a team and win games, I'm not going to be working."

Something else that concerns me is Macha's apparent trust in small-sample production. Helps me to understand his misuse (imho) of Gamel more.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with TLB. Hall seems more like a broken man than a whining player. I really feel for the man even while agreeing the player isn't worthy of more time. Comments from people who are going through a tough time are often made in a rambling incoherent fashion. much of what they say should be taken with a grain of salt as it is probably more stress/depression related than what their real selves would indicate.

Hall might benefit from being sent down but if they DFA him he could just opt for free agency and still get paid. I think at this point it would benefit the Brewers and Hall to redefine his role as a utility infielder who would play more shortstop. That is the one position he could play where there would be a relatively low drop off from the starter while giving JJ an occasional a break as well.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Bill Hall's post-Homer congratulations of other players even seems uncomfortable now. It's a "Bill, I love you and all, but do I really need to do such a long involved handhake with a guy who sits that deep on the bench? It's not like I'm doing this with Jody Gerut either."

I feel bad for Billy. He seems like a genuinely good guy and good teammate, but he's just not a top flight baseball player anymore. Maybe he never was. If he can build himself into a super-sub - 2B, SS, 3B & OF for next year, maybe he's worth keeping since that saves us a little dough on a replacement, but he will never be a primary player with the Brewers again.

If you are suggesting platooning Hall with Hardy, it seems like it would make more sense to call up Escobar and have him platoon with Hardy at that point.

It doesn't seem like platooning a RHB with another RHB would accomplish much.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived