Brewer Fanatic

Braun: 3 for 17 since "we need pitching" comments

BadgerFan
Not really saying anything other than maybe Braun should back up his comments on the field if he is going to criticize the pitching. Yes, he's a great player and having another stellar year but it's time to step it up and he's done nothing this past week. A single in his last AB tonight would have been nice.

I was hoping for a Braun-comment-tracker thread. I'm in the you-better-produce-now crowd, unfortunately...the leash just got a lot shorter for me. I've despised pretty much any athlete with a mouth and I'd be a hypocrite if I defended Braun now.

Probably more coincidence than anything...he's been cold for awhile now, even before the comments about the pitching. Coming into tonight's game, he was hitting .265/.286/.353 (an ugly .639 OPS) in July, although that's a very small sample of only 8 games. He hasn't homered since June 25. If anything, this shows he's just as streaky as anyone else on the team. Considering how hot he was in June (1.022 OPS for the month), it probably shouldn't be a surprise.

It certainly is bad timing, though, I'll say that much. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

He's struggling, but I wonder how long it takes for the coaching staff to get on Braun for swinging at the first pitch. He's seen maybe 20 pitches in his last 10-12 ab's and it seems a good time for them to draw his attention to it--but do they? As Schroeder said on the tellicast, you don't mind guys like Braun swinging at the first pitch. I do. I have to wonder at what point does the super-star treatment by the coaches and himself start having a negative effect on his ability to adjust (be self reflective).

He's the least of our worries.
I agree with the comments that it's just a coincidence that Braun skidded (I chose to use past tense) a little after getting overly-chatty, but actually, Prince has most definitely been the least of our worries lately.

I think the man-crush on Braun around Brewerdom obscures things at times.

I don't think the point of this thread was "he's the least of our problems" or "it's just a cold streak." I think the point was, it's probably good to keep your mouth shut about the pitching, because the offense hasn't done much lately either.

When you think about it, offensive struggles are probably a big reason Braun made his comments. Everyone is cold aside from Prince, the current pitching can't carry the team during a stretch like that.

Anyway, I thought this Braun thing was over? He did apologize did he not?

He's had terrible plate discipline in high-pressure situations lately. Trying to hit the homerun when all he needs is a single or sac fly and ends up striking out instead. He'll settle down though.
I think this has flared up throughout his (still brief) career. To me, he always has seemed a little too amped in those situations -- visibly so. You wonder if other teams see it on tape and pitch him accordingly.

Community Moderator
I don't think it's a coincidence--he suddenly is swinging at bad pitches and trying to do too much. That being said, his "slumps" never last more than a week, and sometimes he appears to be slumping but still goes 2-4 with a few singles.

I don't think the point of this thread was "he's the least of our problems" or "it's just a cold streak." I think the point was, it's probably good to keep your mouth shut about the pitching, because the offense hasn't done much lately either.
Was that neccessary for a thread though? If he was 5 for 17 (.294) , does that make the situation different? The opinion that the offense was part of the problem was very much a part of the original thread. Pointing out Braun's batting average, post comments, is kind of blowing air on a dead fire, since somebody pointed out, he retracted some of his statement and apologized for others. It's as if some people are watching him so close that god forbid he struggles for 4 games, well it must be the pressure of those comments he made! :rolls eyes: Braun's never gone 3 for 17, man, must be those comments! The offense has put the Crew in a position to win and I think Braun's done his job in the field. This reeks of just another "I told you so" to try and justify that Braun's comments weren't accurate about the pitching and that somehow it's his/offense fault for the team's success or lackthereof.

Archived