Brewer Fanatic

Who is going to replace Villa in the bully?

Hammer
I'm not as up on the minor leagues as a lot of y'all but CV needs to go. He has nothing left to try in the majors and is killing this team. I know that Wooten has been untouchable but AA to the show (nearly A to the show) is a long jump. Any other ideas?
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

There is no reason to replace him so I assume nobody. He just needs to be moved down in the pecking order.
I would have to respectfully disagree. He needs to be replaced. He is not effective in any situation right now. Contending teams (yeah I still believe), do not have room for this type of non-production.

Whether he is replaced or simply used to mop up games, he should not be allowed to pitch unless we are up or down by more than 5. Sure his May was great but that's about the only time he's been good the past 2 years. He just cannot be trusted in close games. On a side note, I wish Macha was mic'ed up so we could hear his explanation for his bullpen management the past couple of games (specifically, not using Coffey yesterday until CV created trouble and using CV today when he pitched so poorly yesterday [and the previous month]).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

CV just needs a week off. We went through this with him 2 or 3 years ago. He was dominant early in the season, and as the appearances mounted up he struggled, and then when they gave him some more frequent rest, he was good again. He is not a 70-appearance type of guy.

"Sure his May was great but that's about the only time he's been good the past 2 years"

Does this not include his 2.12 ERA last year in the bullpen? Or his 3.9 ERA the year before?

The guy has been a solid reliever for most of his career, and most of this season. He's looking like Manny Parra right now. Scared to pitch, so he's serving up meatballs and/or missing.

Sending vets to the minors to "Work on some things" is the new rage. It worked (so far) for Parra and the guy from the Pirates. Maybe it would work for Villanueva, but he is far too inconsistant to pitch any meaningful innings anymore, so why keep him?

As far as who we move up, I would like to see Axford up.

Villy's FIP is still 3.71 right now and he has a rather unlucky .340 BABIP in the statistically volitile role of a reliever. The ball isn't just bouncing his way right now and teams are hitting his changeup. He'll make an adjustment in the mop up role and will be back to being effective before the season is over.

He is streaky, he started the season great and then started to get shelled. His ERA went into the 5 range then he got it back down into the 3's now he imploded again. Just move him down the peeking order and stop giving him the ball in clutch situations for awhile til he hits another grove. The guy has been good enough for us over the last 2-3 seasons that we thought he could be a closer or a set up guy so we need to let him work things out. When he is on he's on and well when he's not he's aweful. Who ever said McClung....thanks for the laugh. He is is just as bad as Villy is right now. I'd say Coffey is the best option along with Defilice (spelling).

What's FIP again?

Villa has been looking like a deer in headlights on the mound for quite some time now. Even when he was pitching well in the recent past, he hasn't had the look of confidence, or is it just me? I liked him best when he struck out Pujols in St. Louis and the Cards thought he was showboating. I'd like to see him show that fire in his eyes again. I wonder if he's working through some soreness that we don't know about. He comes out and doesn't give the appearance that he's ready to compete of late.

Thanks Rillo, I understand and agree with your point now. I still think his confidence is and has been shot for quite some time though. I'd like to see him get his head right so he doesn't have to go down to the minors. He's been used in high leverage situations and is the preferred option for those situations. Unfortunately, just he, Coffey, and DiFelice have been mostly reliable in the pen. More help is needed.

Mike Burns.

Comparing starters and relievers is apples and oranges stats wise, and I can't find any stats that shows effectiveness or OPS-A based on number of pitches thrown in an outing or by inning, but it appears that Burns can at least get guys out the first time or two through the order. Someone short on starters may just claim Burns if they try to send him back to Nashville, in which case they lose a starting pitcher (even if a mediocre one) at a position that they have very little depth. Personally I think Burns has more value to them than CV right now.

Archived