Brewer Fanatic

Who would you like to see in a home run derby?

nate82

This may be an odd thought but I've always wanted to see Ichiro in a home run derby just to see something different.
Inside the park home runs?
Supposedly, he would have a very good chance of winning. I think he has turned down requests to enter the derby several times in the past.

Community Moderator
Were the side panels open?

Yeah, the roof was closed (and it eventually stormed) but the side panels were open. There were apparently major issues with roof leakage during the HR derby.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
brewdude15 wrote:

Counsell pre-batting stance adjustment or Counsell post-batting stance adjustment?

Hmmm, good question. I'd say pre batting stance change just for the comedic effect.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

In regards to Ichiro and inside the park HRs, I have heard many of the baseball "pundants" argue that he could hit a lot more HRs (traditional HRs) if he wanted to, but that he doesn't feel that's how he can contribute best to the lineup. I have heard the same thing said about Tony Gwynn Sr.

For that reason I'd like to see Ichiro in the HR derby, just to see what type of swing adjustments he would make.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Pitchers
This would actually be kind of cool... showcase the few P that can actually hit. Off the top of my head I can think of CC, Yo, Zambrano, Matt Cain, Adam Wainwright. I'm sure there are many more obvious ones I'm omitting.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In regards to Ichiro and inside the park HRs, I have heard many of the baseball "pundants" argue that he could hit a lot more HRs (traditional HRs) if he wanted to, but that he doesn't feel that's how he can contribute best to the lineup. I have heard the same thing said about Tony Gwynn Sr.

For that reason I'd like to see Ichiro in the HR derby, just to see what type of swing adjustments he would make.

Not that I'm responding to my own post, but a couple hours after I posted this, I read Macha's comments about Suzuki in the Journal/Sentinel:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/50588317.html

According to Macha, he wouldn't have to change his swing at all. I'm not sure I understand that since Suzuki is not really a HR hitter with his current swing. Perhaps Macha is saying "same swing, only harder, would produce more HRs"?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Slight twist on the original question:

Would you prefer the current HR derby selection or more like the NBA dunk contest: Select the best HR hitters regardless if they make the All-Star team or not? (Of course that would mean Mr. 3TO would be included.)

I'd just be curious to see this.

NL

Juan Pierre

Luis Castillo

Jason Kendall

David Eckstein

AL

Chone Figgins

Chris Getz

Asdrubal Cabrera

Elvis Andrus

These are the bottom 4 players in each league in HRs (with at least 250 PAs). It'd just be interesting to see how many these guys could put out when they are trying to hit it out of the park.

I still think it'd be interesting to have a bunt derby as well. Have all the great bunters (Pierre, Taveras, etc.) putting down bunts and receiving points depending on where the ball stops on the infield (or subtracting points for balls that roll foul).

Please notice I said that it'd be interesting, not exciting.

A skills competition, in general, would be interesting, but I'm sure it would never happen because you'd hate to see someone get hurt while participating.

Would you prefer the current HR derby selection or more like the NBA dunk contest: Select the best HR hitters regardless if they make the All-Star team or not?
I may be misremembering this, but didn't Hee-Seop Choi hit in the HR derby about 5 years ago to fulfill the Korean entrant in the derby (they tried some Nationality thing with the HR derby that year) but he wasn't on the All-Star team?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I love the skills competition idea. Have the best bunters have to bunt down the lines where you tell them. Have the best shortstops field grounders and have to throw out the fastest runners. Have the best base stealers steal bases with the best catchers at throwing out runners behind the plate. And, of course, you have to put the fastest players against each other in the 60. Let's see who really is the fastest.

Race around the bases, put a garbage can at the plate and have outfielders to the Tom Emansky drill, put a target at 1st and have 3rd basemen and SS throw over similar to the NFL QB challenge, bunting competition as mentioned before, maybe a rundown competition...then end with the HR derby. I'd think more fans would like this than the celebrity all-star game.

Archived